Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
17K miles in 9 months on my Bolt and thrilled with the fun it is to drive. More like my first Austin Mini than anything since. What us older folks are missing is the blind spot detection. Has anyone experience in adding this? I can do without the Lane Change etc. The side mirrors on the Bolt seem to cover less well than those on our Volt.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Don't have experience with adding that feature. But did discover a better technique for adjusting the side mirrors on all my cars. We were all thought back in the day to adjust the side mirrors such that the side of the car was always part of the mirror view. But, that leaves a pretty sizeable blind spot in doing so. The new technique is to adjust the mirrors' view out further where you don't see the side of the car. This gives you a better view of the blind spot. Because I find it a little disorientating not seeing the side of the car, I adjust mine a little bit inward so that if I lean my head side to side I can see the side of the car if I need to. Especially when backing up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Back in the late '70's I got a speeding ticket from a motorcycle cop that informed me he paced my speed by remaining next to me in my blind spot. That day I purchased a 5-panel mirror so I would see any sneaky cops trailing me. I immediately realized that every car should have this mirror standard for safety reasons alone. I swore every future car I owned would have one. That never happened, but if one wants to completely remove all rear blind spots (and also monitor everything all passengers are doing), this is the solution.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
We were all thought back in the day to adjust the side mirrors such that the side of the car was always part of the mirror view.
I never understood why people would adjust their mirrors so that all three of them showed the same car behind you. I've always adjusted my mirrors so that as a car overtakes you it starts to appear in one of the side mirrors as it's disappearing from the centre mirror. It just seems to obvious to me that this is far safer and more sensible.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
That day I purchased a 5-panel mirror...
The rear camera mirror on the Premiere Bolt does essentially the same thing. Although I've found that properly adjusted side mirrors (see my post above) show you pretty much the same view. My favourite thing about the camera mirror is that it doesn't get blocked by headrests, people, cargo, etc.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Back in the late '70's I got a speeding ticket from a motorcycle cop that informed me he paced my speed by remaining next to me in my blind spot. That day I purchased a 5-panel mirror so I would see any sneaky cops trailing me. I immediately realized that every car should have this mirror standard for safety reasons alone. I swore every future car I owned would have one. That never happened, but if one wants to completely remove all rear blind spots (and also monitor everything all passengers are doing), this is the solution.

that thing is huge and hideous. not only that, it would block the front view for tall people. a convex mirror would be a better choice.

https://amzn.to/2ERyr4g

or just get a premier with rear view camera and blind spot detection.

·
Registered
63 Posts

LOL. I was showing off to my friends in the next lane in the 70s in a Honda 750K motorcycle. One problem was I failed to see the cop right behind me. Burned through a few gears and then took a few S turns. Talk to the guy for a while and says I looked really good going through the curves! Still seems funny after all these years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.