Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have to say that I'm loving the L mode. It makes driving in traffic or across town so much easier, if for no other reason. But get this: I consistently find that my range meter shows roughly the same number before and after the last 10 miles of my Bay Area commute. I've even seen it go up a mile or two! How is that even possible?

Makes me wonder if I could drive forever without a charge, if I drove like I were in traffic. :)

Of course I'd probably go crazy before making it very far. But it's still an interesting thought.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The range guess o meter is based off your prior driving. Let's say you were on the freeway driving 75mph. The GOM will drop your miles based on the higher electric use. If you are suddenly in traffic with lower speeds and using the regen, then your rated range will go up based on your new driving habits. I'm sorry to say the Bolt isn't a perpetual energy machine

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have seen the same. It depends how you drive it. It is fun!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe much of the confusion on range is based on our traditional thinking, which was formed using combustion engine vehicles. Example would be simple terminology such as gas cap versus charging port. I still tend to say gas cap...

For me, using kW/100km is most useful when discussing range. The Bolt has a 60kW battery. If I drive and consume 20kW/100km I will achieve from a full charge 300km (186 m). Consuming 15kw/100Km will allow one to travel 400km (248 m). 12kW/100km will achieve 500km (310 m) in range. BTW, driving in our fair city at this time of year (no heat, no AC) I am consistenlty achieving ranges between 11-12kW/100km.

When driving at 120km/h (75 mph) total range rapidly reduces as the consumption of kW/100km greatly increases. Driving at 90-100km/h is much better for distance.

In ICE vehicles, highway driving is usually more efficient than city driving. On EV's the reverse is true.

I've read somewhere that AC reduces about 3%, while heating reduces range by about 10%. Not sure of that accuracy but it would seem logical following my experiences with a HEV Prius V.

And PS - 98% of the driving in my vehicle is done with 'one touch' pedal - i.e., low mode.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I believe much of the confusion on range is based on our traditional thinking, which was formed using combustion engine vehicles. Example would be simple terminology such as gas cap versus charging port. I still tend to say gas cap...

For me, using kW/100km is most useful when discussing range. The Bolt has a 60kW battery. If I drive and consume 20kW/100km I will achieve from a full charge 300km (186 m). Consuming 15kw/100Km will allow one to travel 400km (248 m). 12kW/100km will achieve 500km (310 m) in range. BTW, driving in our fair city at this time of year (no heat, no AC) I am consistenlty achieving ranges between 11-12kW/100km.

When driving at 120km/h (75 mph) total range rapidly reduces as the consumption of kW/100km greatly increases. Driving at 90-100km/h is much better for distance.

In ICE vehicles, highway driving is usually more efficient than city driving. On EV's the reverse is true.

I've read somewhere that AC reduces about 3%, while heating reduces range by about 10%. Not sure of that accuracy but it would seem logical following my experiences with a HEV Prius V.

And PS - 98% of the driving in my vehicle is done with 'one touch' pedal - i.e., low mode.
It's not "Low Mode" The traction motor is a single speed gear reduction design and only has one speed.
It's simply "L" Mode and nothing more :nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
That would be true if L mode on an EV was referencing a gear box. The three driving modes on the Bolt, Sport, Drive and "L" change the response action or 'feel' of the accelerator pedal. Using "L" mode reduces the response of the accelerator pedal as well as allowing for "one pedal driving". While not Low as in a gear box, it is "Low" compared to Sport or Drive mode. Thereby the industry continues to use familiar terminology...

·
Registered
989 Posts
That would be true if L mode on an EV was referencing a gear box. The three driving modes on the Bolt, Sport, Drive and "L" change the response action or 'feel' of the accelerator pedal. Using "L" mode reduces the response of the accelerator pedal as well as allowing for "one pedal driving". While not Low as in a gear box, it is "Low" compared to Sport or Drive mode. Thereby the industry continues to use familiar terminology...
Absolutely incorrect! Also, sport mode has nothing to do with the drive motor/gear box.
It's 100% accelerator pedal ramping. It only ramps up during acceleration and has nothing to do with regen or braking. L Mode enables one pedal driving by activation of regeneration controls to allow it to be used without using the brake pedal under normal driving conditions. It's a MODE function and NOT a GEAR CHANGE.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
It's not "Low Mode"
While it may not be "Low" mode from a technical perspective, it's labelled "L" because the aggressive regen does something that's pretty similar to what a conventional transmission does in a low gear. So unlike Toyota (with its "B" for "brake") mode, I don't see anything especially egregious with calling it "low mode" in the Bolt. What's important is that communication is happening - how it happens is of only incidental interest, IMHO.

It's a MODE function and NOT a GEAR CHANGE.
Well, he did call it a "mode". He said "low mode", not "low gear". So he's not really making the mistake you're accusing him of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Absolutely incorrect! Also, sport mode has nothing to do with the drive motor/gear box.
It's 100% accelerator pedal ramping. It only ramps up during acceleration and has nothing to do with regen or braking. L Mode enables one pedal driving by activation of regeneration controls to allow it to be used without using the brake pedal under normal driving conditions. It's a MODE function and NOT a GEAR CHANGE.
I'm not certain where you believe I said it has anything to do with the drive motor/gear box.

I believe I said the different "modes" as you refer to them "change the response action or 'feel' of the accelerator pedal."

This action your referred to as "accelerator pedal ramping." I believe we are saying one and the same thing.

Sport mode as you say "Ramps up during acceleration". That means it increases the response from normal 'D' mode.

Similarly 'L' mode ramps down compared to 'D' mode during acceleration. in other words, it can be said to be a 'Low' mode.

"familiar terminology" indicates using terms which are familiar or known to the average person. It does not mean that the mechanics, process or technology are precisely one and the same.

Thanks for adding the EV term 'Mode' to my driving lexicon.

·
Registered
989 Posts
It's a MISNOMER to call it LOW Mode.
It has absolutely NO gear ratio change like a convention transmission.
This is where common non technical drivers become confused and internet myths come from.

Please add the to your lexicon!

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is where common non technical drivers become confused and internet myths come from.
It was the writers of the Chevrolet Bolt EV Owner's Manual who first confused us on this point. From page 209:

"L : This position reduces vehicle
speed without using the brakes. Use
L (Low) on very steep hills, deep
snow, in mud, or in stop-and-go
traffic."

Similar references to L meaning Low appear throughout the manual. I do hope General Motors will augment its lexicon in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
(shrug)

If GM calls it Low then it's Low - they're the ones who built the car and wrote the manual. If they had called it Geranium Mode then it would be Geranium Mode.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with @alienbogey on this one. As much as it is odd to call it a low mode because it isn't "low gear", if that's what they're calling it, that's essentially pretty much it.

I guess that's why there's the difference between low "mode" and low "gear". Often confused, but there is a right answer ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Are you perhaps suffering from a somewhat fixed mind set? No problem, as long as you do not project it onto others ;)
No, it's called knowing better :nerd: And heaven forbid trying to enlighten others that would be
willing to move beyond 19th century technology . It's far safer to keep ones head in the sand with ones mind securely fixed in the past >:) It's painfully obvious the person who wrote that blurb in the manual has :x

I would politely recommend that you "NOT" follow a non technical, non automotive manual writers misguided mistakes.
Probably some young kid that knows zero about EV's, but writes this crap anyways.

I know, if it's printed it's gotta be true LOL! Same as if it's on the internet, right ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
What does it matter what it's called. We all know it provides a higher level of regen. Since it is labeled with an "L" and GM refers to it as Low, then I think in a public forum it should be referred to as low. By all means call it what you want, maybe high regen.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It's a MISNOMER to call it LOW Mode.
It has absolutely NO gear ratio change like a convention transmission.

Please add the to your lexicon!
I can't read GM Korea people's minds, but I am pretty sure that the "L" on the shifter does stand for Low, in the same way as D is Drive, P is Park, R is Reverse and N is Neutral. By the way, the shifter itself has retained its name from the era when a functionally similar device did indeed shift gears; strictly speaking, it should be called an electric switch, because it doesn't shift- or cause to shift anything. Just a switch.

Sometimes old words refuse to give way to new ones; for example, we still talk about "albums" as in a collection of songs, whereas the last physical album (a book-like arrangement of shellac discs) was made 60+ years ago.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I read this crap almost daily. It's a joke and when you own a Bolt and GM's marketing dept. sends you dealer service coupon for a oil change, do you guys take your EV's in for that service >:)

Most owners manuals are based on ICE vehicles and they use a template. They hire people to
rewrite excerpts from them and they have no clue what they're writing about.
It's a total dog and pony show.

Same thing with repair manuals and wiring diagrams. We find hundreds of mistakes throughout these publications on a daily basis. People continue to misrepresent what they don't understand and this gets way beyond manuals. The internet spreads garbage that people don't have a clue about like wild fire.

It's very simple. A traction motor with gear reduction has one ratio. 7.05:1 in this case.
It has no similarity to oldschool transmissions with a valve body, clutch packs and shift solenoids.

LOW is a total misnomer :nerd:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts