Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT - Gunmetal Gray
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Chevy Bolt LT.

With my Heat/AC button off, there's no issue. Fans blow normally and I can control face, defroster, and feet blowing without any issues. When I turn on my Heat/AC button and the AC compressor turns on, there is a Grinding/Hissing noise. It doesn't happen when the Resistive heater turns on, just the AC compressor.

Also, when the battery/motor gets heated up and the AC turns on, even if Climate Control is not turned on. Anyone have any ideas? Video link below.

Video Link (Dropbox)

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
2017 Chevy Bolt LT.
When I turn on my Heat/AC button and the AC compressor turns on, there is a Grinding/Hissing noise.
If you don't have a stethoscope, get a piece of hose. Pop the hood and put the end of the hose against the AC lines, and try to get it down near the front of the motor/gearbox, where the AC compressor is.

Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Exhaust system

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
407 Posts
Whole heartedly agree with Jetson. If it were me, I'd be isolating the abnormal sound location/source and looking for anything abnormal (low fluids, hose damage/loose, condenser damage, etc). A flashlight will also be your friend.

Reactions: JustLovett0

·
Registered
40 Posts
2017 Chevy Bolt LT.

With my Heat/AC button off, there's no issue. Fans blow normally and I can control face, defroster, and feet blowing without any issues. When I turn on my Heat/AC button and the AC compressor turns on, there is a Grinding/Hissing noise. It doesn't happen when the Resistive heater turns on, just the AC compressor.

Also, when the battery/motor gets heated up and the AC turns on, even if Climate Control is not turned on. Anyone have any ideas? Video link below.

Video Link (Dropbox)
Hi James, I have a 2017 Bolt and my AC has the exact same issue. Were you able to get your issue resolved? If so, how?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi James, I have a 2017 Bolt and my AC has the exact same issue. Were you able to get your issue resolved? If so, how?
I haven't been trying to fix the issue recently, as I haven't used the AC in a while. I may look into it soon.

My current next step is to get under the car with something like a hose, and use that to put my ear up to different parts of the car like a stethoscope to find out which part is making the noise, and go from there.
If I find anything soon, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't been trying to fix the issue recently, as I haven't used the AC in a while. I may look into it soon.

My current next step is to get under the car with something like a hose, and use that to put my ear up to different parts of the car like a stethoscope to find out which part is making the noise, and go from there.
thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts

I just took my 2017 Bolt that sounded exactly like yours to Penske Chevrolet Cerritos and they told me the condenser seal was leaking. They also recharged the AC system. Total charge was $416.23, but my extended warranty covered it. Paid my $100.00 deductible. After repair it sounds fine. I asked if there was a bulletin on this and they said no. Told my service advisor that I saw your post on this forum and that you had the exact same problem.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Told my service advisor that I saw your post on this forum and that you had the exact same problem.
Did he scoff at you and say "You can't believe what people on Internet forums say"? I got that from the Audi service advisor years ago. My Audi would have died several times over if I had not learned of issues on the forums and fixed things before they broke.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Total charge was $416.23, but my extended warranty covered it. Paid my $100.00 deductible.
Ouch! Wish I had a warranty right now...

Well thanks for the info! I'll definitely take it into a shop to have it looked at and at least get a quote.
Maybe I'll try to fix it myself, who knows. Thank you, though!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did he scoff at you and say "You can't believe what people on Internet forums say"? I got that from the Audi service advisor years ago. My Audi would have died several times over if I had not learned of issues on the forums and fixed things before they broke.
Yes! This forum helps a lot and I often bring it up and she always tells me “oh we don’t diagnose based on forums.”

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ouch! Wish I had a warranty right now...

Well thanks for the info! I'll definitely take it into a shop to have it looked at and at least get a quote.
Maybe I'll try to fix it myself, who knows. Thank you, though!!
No problem, hope your issue gets resolved as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,

Is the noise shown in the video above normal for 2020 Bolts whenever the AC compressor is on?

I’m asking because, we purchased a new 2020 premier Bolt up here in MN and it is making the same noise. I also noticed that it gets worse with the warmer temps (Nice to see Spring coming).

Also, all other 2020 Bolts we test drove while we were looking at cars made the same noise (2 others).

Dealers here keep telling me that it’s normal, but it is not a pleasant sound as it is shown in the first posters video.

The Bolt is now in service after I was able to finally show one of the techs the issue, but he too was not quite sure if it was abnormal or normal as of now. He said he would do some research and get back while also re-serving the AC system.

So, I’m basically looking to see if other owners of 2020 Bolts have this sound whenever the AC compressor turns on and whether it’s normal or abnormal. This will help a bunch if it comes back making the noise and if they keep pushing that it’s normal.

Thanks a bunch, this forum has been a huge help with going forward with the Bolt purchase!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update,
I brought my 2020 Bolt to Ryan Chevrolet in Buffalo MN and once I was able to show their EV technician the issue, he found the refrigerant was low and re-charged it. He inspected for leaks as well.
The sound is gone. I’m happy.

I would bring the Bolt back to them. Their EV tech was a decent guy.

Thanks to this forum for helping with this issue!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts