Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the Chevy Volt disables the air conditioner after 30 minutes in park or so due to some concern with it's combustion engine, but really hoping the designers of this all Electric Bolt (and Tesla in future models) understand the benefits of being able to run the Air conditioner while parked and even charging for extended periods - like overnight.

Also, really hope engineers understand that these EV interiors are still in use sometimes while we are charging. Hope the charger is smart enough to let us suck power from the wall while rather than the charged battery when we are plugged in and charging.

Anybody who has owned an EV and had to sit at a charging station for a few hours has likely taken a nap or read a book in a really cold or really hot car thanks to this oversight in design. Hope GM engineers consider this easy to implement yet very IMPORTANT feature!

BTW, can we estimate that using the Air conditioner for 8 full hours while parked in the Bolt should only consume about 10% of the full charge?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I get what you're saying about sitting and charging, but I don't understand why you'd want to have the AC on for 8 hrs unplugged. The power used would depend on many factors: sitting in direct sun or shade, outdoor temp, indoor temp setting, numbers of times the door is opened, etc.

If you assume the turned on car and AC use 2kW on average, that's 16 kWh or 27%. Using 3kW is 24 kWh or 40%.

But what's the point?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm all for the system sucking power from the wall outlet than battery when charging. Being a vehicle they want to make a practical as it can be, you'll need this especially on road trips you'll want all the power you can get before getting back on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question about this, are AC systems in most cars smart enough to collect ambient to adjust temp or fan?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It was at 276 and then went down to 230 kilometers. That's actually not bad for having the heat on all night. Was expecting a lot more since it's during the winter time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I often take long road trips and opt to pull over and sleep in my car rather than unpacking and sleep in dirty roadside trucker motel. I'm not alone. It's a feature I know many would be interested in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C694INTgmiY

Thanks.
I do that too, but i'm lucky enough that most cases i'm able to find paid parking in an enclosed or partly enclosed parkade. Pay $10 or so and it goes a long way in requiring less from your vehicle, and parking at night is ALWAYS cheaper

·
Registered
730 Posts
Depending where you live it can't be that hard, during a time when infrastructure is still growing you have to research and really plan where you're going to go. Malls, Parking Lots, and even some Starbucks locations have EV chargers.

Plus on a full charge you could potentially go a couple days without the need to charge, again this comes back to planning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get what you're saying about sitting and charging, but I don't understand why you'd want to have the AC on for 8 hrs unplugged. The power used would depend on many factors: sitting in direct sun or shade, outdoor temp, indoor temp setting, numbers of times the door is opened, etc.

If you assume the turned on car and AC use 2kW on average, that's 16 kWh or 27%. Using 3kW is 24 kWh or 40%.

But what's the point?

There are plenty of reasons to be able to run the A/C while not driving. Like police, many in the private investigative and security industries spend most of their time in their vehicles doing things like surveillance, access control and so on. If the car and drive 100 miles round trip and still run the A/C, stereo and a laptop for 12 hours that would open up the bolt for use by an entire industry.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just leave the car "running" and locked. I would think it would keep the air conditioner running. You "should" be able to charge at the same time, but there might be timers or interlocks that don't allowing running + charging. Not just preconditioning. Running. When I have done that in extreme cold, it seemed like I didn't get any charging accomplished.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You "should" be able to charge at the same time, but there might be timers or interlocks that don't allowing running + charging. Not just preconditioning. Running.
You can charge with the car turned on and running the HVAC system. I just did it while fast charging for about an hour in hot weather. You can either:

• Just not bother turning the car off before plugging in the charger cable, or
  • Turn the car back on again once charging has started
Either way works just fine. I understand that the car will shut itself off if it's left idle for 2 hours, but I've never needed to leave it turned on that long while charging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts