Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Nov build EUV that I had brought in for airbag alert has wiring harness replaced but that did not fix it. I am starting to get 'SRS Restraint' alert appear on the center console multiple times and just had the red alert light come on. Nothing reported to OnStar yet. This will be repair #2 in 3 mo of ownership. I may be on my way to getting a Blazer EV (or 2023 Bolt EUV with another $6K back in my pocket) as replacement vehicle toward end of the year. Sigh...

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I am getting more frequent airbag alerts and it comes on and off randomly. I am not getting alerts on the app so I called OnStar, the guy had the tech send me their system which shows no alert. I did get a few pictures of when the alert was on. I'm thinking I need to bring it in to document for Lemon Law purposes and see if I meet the requirement for another Trade/Swap to the Blazer EV or Equinox EV... Sigh...

Font Rectangle Number Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Bummer!

Maybe time to ask for a buyback and a check instead. The '22 Niro EV I'm leasing to replace my former '19 Bolt has been trouble free, so far.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I took another road trip the last few days. The airbag alerts came on over a dozen times, several back to back and including driving on the highway. OnStar finally sent me an email alerting to the airbag issue... the alerts that started from several weeks ago never got an OnStar alert. If not for this one issue, I am enjoying the new Bolt EUV very much!

Regarding alerts, GM may have done something with the alert rules. I get the email about the airbag then get my monthly OnStar Disgnostics which does not mention the airbag alerts. The app does not show any alerts either. Anyone else with EUV getting airbag alerts? Could be a bigger problem. Is GM trying to cover this airbag issue up?

I have an appt next week, so I guess it's another week without my car and very possibly no rental/loaner again. The inadequacy of the rental/loaner program and new dealer policy of not providing enough rideshare credit for at least one roundtrip to/from the dealership, is making GM and its dealerships looking very bad.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like GM is having the dealer replace the whole airbag system and could take 2 weeks. If it takes longer, maybe I can work on a swap to a 2023 with lower MSRP and get Supercruise instead of Sun & Sound package this time.

Got a rental Trax for now. Not fun having to drive an ICE again.

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,386 Posts
Looks like GM is having the dealer replace the whole airbag system and could take 2 weeks. If it takes longer, maybe I can work on a swap to a 2023 with lower MSRP and get Supercruise instead of Sun & Sound package this time.

Got a rental Trax for now. Not fun having to drive an ICE again.

Oh boy. Did not like to see this. Wonder if they really know what’s going on. Does not sound like it,
Got the seat belt icon pop up a few times. But nothing about air bag from car. But OnStar did send a “service air bag within one day” called OnStar and they have no idea as a code was not tripped.

I guess I should bring it in. But was thinking if it did not trip a code I got blow it off till it happens again

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh boy. Did not like to see this. Wonder if they really know what’s going on. Does not sound like it,
Got the seat belt icon pop up a few times. But nothing about air bag from car. But OnStar did send a “service air bag within one day” called OnStar and they have no idea as a code was not tripped.

I guess I should bring it in. But was thinking if it did not trip a code I got blow it off till it happens again
I delayed bringing it in for a couple months because it was initially only going off a few times a days every few days and I needed the car (did not get rental last time and was denied full reim of rideshare by GM because dealer provided a small courtesy credit).

I think the issue is the wiring harness is not holding... the alerts got worse after driving long distance over bumpy highways (construction). So, if you are getting this problem too, I guess I should expect to have to bring it back to the dealer a month or two after repair. If timing works out, maybe I'll just ask GM to let me MSRP swap to the Blazer EV I have reserved. LOL

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,386 Posts
guess I should expect to have to bring it back to the dealer a month or two after repair. If timing works out, maybe I'll just ask GM to let me MSRP swap to the Blazer EV I have reserved. LOL
Just drove past a Blazer on the way home. Don’t think it was electric. It looks a lot like a Bolt.

This still is a pain. Since I got the OnStar message right away I guess I better bring it in. Gonna check for codes with scanner. OnStar has none

No codes on my scanner. I asked for OnStar tech assistance and they reset the diagnosis and the messag look like it went away but it came back. You have to ask for this, it’s not the first person that just runs the diagnosis. Car message is
“Service safety restraint system”

Gotta bring in to big bad dealer. Sh….

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made a appt for Monday. Will see how it goes. With no codes I am not sure what they can do. Trouble shoot the old way? Does anyone still know how
If they refuse to diagnose due to lack of OnStar reporting, as suggested, file a complaint with the NHTSA. Probably be good to submit a photo of the lights on. When I noticed OnStar not reporting the problem, I started taking photos... most of the time, the alert disappears before I can snap a pic.

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,386 Posts
When I noticed OnStar not reporting the problem, I started taking photos... most of the time, the alert disappears before I can snap a pic
Good idea. I can drive around the block and try. Yes, it does go away quickly.
I unplugged the car today and minutes later the parking lights came on for 4 secs then turned off. Not sure if coonected.
If there’s a short in the wiring or cable causing wierd things it can take awhile to find

Took the pic on way to hardware store. Now it’s beeping at me and giving the message about every 3 minutes. I have a local dealer but prefer the dealer by work which is 50 minutes away. Beeping all the way

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,386 Posts
Update
Update
I got lucky. It was a loose connector under the seat. Fretting corrosion was mentioned. Probally from sitting in the Lot. Tried to get to it myself but you gotta take the back of the seat and other part to get to it.

next question is the dealer found code DTC B0014,but neither OnStar or my OBD2 max could pick up the code. So the question is do you need
Hope @p7wang is fine also

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,386 Posts
They noted fretting corrosive which aggravated the connnection. But then you may ask why just that one connector.? May have been loose from initial install. The Nov people where probably pressured to perform fast. I guess.
Not sure why my 100$ scanner did not pick up the code
@The_Dragon

Hopefully you don’t have @p7wang experience.
See tech report in link for my easy out.

Is your car a Nov Bolt?

You can drive it, if it’s the issue I had. Big If. Cause the air bag not going off is a lot worse then a bag that goes off prematurely.
Unless your unlucky enough to get in a accident. drove the car just a bit before brining it in. I had to keep pushing the button to shut up the ringing message on the way to the dealer

1 - 20 of 79 Posts