Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Nov build EUV that I had brought in for airbag alert has wiring harness replaced but that did not fix it. I am starting to get 'SRS Restraint' alert appear on the center console multiple times and just had the red alert light come on. Nothing reported to OnStar yet. This will be repair #2 in 3 mo of ownership. I may be on my way to getting a Blazer EV (or 2023 Bolt EUV with another $6K back in my pocket) as replacement vehicle toward end of the year. Sigh...

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I am getting more frequent airbag alerts and it comes on and off randomly. I am not getting alerts on the app so I called OnStar, the guy had the tech send me their system which shows no alert. I did get a few pictures of when the alert was on. I'm thinking I need to bring it in to document for Lemon Law purposes and see if I meet the requirement for another Trade/Swap to the Blazer EV or Equinox EV... Sigh...

Font Rectangle Number Parallel Screenshot

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I took another road trip the last few days. The airbag alerts came on over a dozen times, several back to back and including driving on the highway. OnStar finally sent me an email alerting to the airbag issue... the alerts that started from several weeks ago never got an OnStar alert. If not for this one issue, I am enjoying the new Bolt EUV very much!

Regarding alerts, GM may have done something with the alert rules. I get the email about the airbag then get my monthly OnStar Disgnostics which does not mention the airbag alerts. The app does not show any alerts either. Anyone else with EUV getting airbag alerts? Could be a bigger problem. Is GM trying to cover this airbag issue up?

I have an appt next week, so I guess it's another week without my car and very possibly no rental/loaner again. The inadequacy of the rental/loaner program and new dealer policy of not providing enough rideshare credit for at least one roundtrip to/from the dealership, is making GM and its dealerships looking very bad.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like GM is having the dealer replace the whole airbag system and could take 2 weeks. If it takes longer, maybe I can work on a swap to a 2023 with lower MSRP and get Supercruise instead of Sun & Sound package this time.

Got a rental Trax for now. Not fun having to drive an ICE again.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh boy. Did not like to see this. Wonder if they really know what’s going on. Does not sound like it,
Got the seat belt icon pop up a few times. But nothing about air bag from car. But OnStar did send a “service air bag within one day” called OnStar and they have no idea as a code was not tripped.

I guess I should bring it in. But was thinking if it did not trip a code I got blow it off till it happens again
I delayed bringing it in for a couple months because it was initially only going off a few times a days every few days and I needed the car (did not get rental last time and was denied full reim of rideshare by GM because dealer provided a small courtesy credit).

I think the issue is the wiring harness is not holding... the alerts got worse after driving long distance over bumpy highways (construction). So, if you are getting this problem too, I guess I should expect to have to bring it back to the dealer a month or two after repair. If timing works out, maybe I'll just ask GM to let me MSRP swap to the Blazer EV I have reserved. LOL

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made a appt for Monday. Will see how it goes. With no codes I am not sure what they can do. Trouble shoot the old way? Does anyone still know how
If they refuse to diagnose due to lack of OnStar reporting, as suggested, file a complaint with the NHTSA. Probably be good to submit a photo of the lights on. When I noticed OnStar not reporting the problem, I started taking photos... most of the time, the alert disappears before I can snap a pic.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Just checked with dealer service rep, still waiting on my new airbag. I would avoid driving with the airbag light going off while driving high speed (meaning take it in ASAP as OnStar alert suggests). I was offered to continue driving while waiting for parts but I figure it would be negligent on my part if I get hit while knowing I have a faulty airbag.

Update a day later... service rep says GM is sending out a team to take a look. Seems there are a couple other with the same issue, looks like we may have a non-battery recall on Bolts... for those concerned about waiving rights to class action in exchange for the $6K cash rebate.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
What parts did you get ordered? I have this same issue. 1st repair lasted for 2 weeks and involved rerouting the airbag sensor wires to get a better connection. Now the dealer says I have a different error code saying the airbag wire harness is bad. The airbag wire harness is on back order.
Oh, I don't know, dealer just says parts are still pending and a GM team is coming over to look at it - plus 2 more with the same issue. The dealer got me a rental this time and will reim for gas. The bummer is that the Trax definitely does not have the kick of the Bolt, plus I am driving a $20K car when I bought a $40K car. Plus, traffic jam was a double whammy again. I think I'll end up doing another trade/repurchase... hoping for Blazer EV but will settle for an EUV with good airbags. Oh, and if EUV, get a $7K check back due to new lower MSRP + sales tax savings.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looks like Lemon Law criteria has been met. 3 days from first repair + tomorrow would be 27 days so far = 30 days.

Maybe trade/repurchase for an Equinox EV RS, starting at $40K, would be better. We should be able to reserve the Equinox EV before my 1 yr ownership, which is March 2023.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Are you sure they checked for the issue I had? Not sure you saw the Dealers tech narrative I posted.
fretting corrosion is not always obvious.
Those service reps can give flippant responses sometimes.
Well, if GM techs are here to investigate, pretty sure if that's the problem, they will find that plus any other problems with the airbag system.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That may be the same or similar to what happened on my car. The connector was replaced under the seat that showed some fretting corrosion. Not sure why just the connector
Engineered obsolesence. Someone missed a decimal or two, this was not suppose to happen until after 36 months. LOL

BTW, OnStar sent me an offer to get remote commands for $9.99/mo. Too bad I won't be able to take advantage of it. :(

Also... LOL

Font Terrestrial plant Darkness

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That may be the same or similar to what happened on my car. The connector was replaced under the seat that showed some fretting corrosion. Not sure why just the connector

9 days is insane. Can’t believe they expect you to drive your own ice during that time
I don't understand how mine would corrode. Is it because of the vented seats blowing my moist air from my sweaty butt onto the connectors? LOL

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Cause they sat on those lots for months. Maybe not running them makes it worse.
No heat to minimize moisture that can cause corrosion
Well, that does not explain the connector failing again shortly after replacement. Well, I guess it could be the other side of the connector or a different connector this time. LOL

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
How ya doing on the car?
Still at the dealership. Guess I'll be driving the rental Equinox for a while. Fortunately, I got a new credit card with 0% APR until late Spring, so I just make the minimum payment for now and can carry over the balance.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wow PITA
I thought they where buying your gas.
Yes, I just have to turn in receipt at the end, which at this point, could be next Spring. LOL

Meanwhile, it's out of pocket, like those who got their own rental due to the battery recall.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Just started getting the service safety restraint system soon warning on my bolt euv with 2400 miles on it. Came out of nowhere this morning and it goes off every three min or so. What a pita!

Filed the nhtsa just now, and I set an appt up with my dealer for Monday morning but they said no loaner. So what should I do to push the issue with them for a rental? I need a car and I am sure they are going to take their time with it.

The same dealer took 3 months to fix our volt under warranty back in the day so I am worried about having to flip the cost for a rental.

I appreciate the advice everyone.
Call the EV Concierge and ask them to open a case to authorize RENTAL CAR and FUEL reimbursement.

BTW

When an EV goes into service, our warranty used to state loaner/rental car will be provided. I guess GM got scared after the battery recall claims and now talks about Extended Courtesy Transportation. Courtesy Transportation sounds like drop you home and bring you back when repair is complete. Not sure what Extended would mean. My old neighbor with a Tesla said they gave him $200 in rideshare credit and he used it when he needed to go somewhere, then Tesla zeroed out the credit when he picked up his car... no hoops to jump through like when dealing with GM.

Smile Rectangle Font Art Slope

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I had this issue a month or so ago. My dealer diagnosed the problem and implemented a temporary fix in one service appointment that was maybe a couple of hours. Once the back ordered part arrives it will be another relatively short appointment to swap a harness. The car is perfectly safe and drivable in the mean time. This is likely not a big deal other than the annoyance of some dealer visits.
I was not comfortable driving with non-functioning airbag. Dealer was wanting to give me the car back but GM told them to hold on to it, perhaps because it is alerting again (Jul 2022) after they just replaced the wiring harness at end of Mar (I picked up the Bolt 3/15/22). It's not just a wiring harness issue as my Bolt has been sitting at the dealer since end of July and they are waiting for word back from GM Tech on a way ahead. My way ahead is to do a Lemon Law trade/repurchase to either the Blazer EV or Equinox EV in the Spring or Summer.

Anyway, after you get the harness replaced, try driving through under construction highways (high speed, lots of vibrations) and see if the harness shakes loose again. I drove through HWY 99 between Turlock and Bakersfield and there was/is a few construction zones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts