Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought my rear tire wear issues were possibly due to my lowering springs, but after checking my records I see that I put 20,000 miles on my OEM tires after installing the lowering springs without any rapid wear issues (replaced all 4 tires just shy of 60,000 miles)... but after only 25,000 miles on the new tires the rear ones are worn out and the fronts look brand new (yes, should have rotated tires... sue me :) At this point I am suspecting that the tire shop screwed something up when they installed the new tires at the 58,000 mile mark... it suspect a toe problem.

I am getting 2 new tires put on tomorrow and getting an alignment... I will post up results here.

Keith

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,604 Posts
Hmmm, the rears should more or less stay new. Are they evenly worn or just on the sides? One thing to note is I ran high performance summer tires and they lasted about 15k miles. Could have gone 20k if I pushed it. But I really like the go pedal.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV
9,270 Posts
I drove 100,000 km over 4-1/2 years with the same OEM Michelin Self-Seal tires on the rear the entire time and they still had about 5.5mm of tread left on them after that. I've swapped them to the front now because I want to wear the tires out before the TPMS batteries die.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After getting my alignment done and seeing the before and after numbers I think I have it figured out... as I said, I didn't rotate my tires... but I did have the battery pack replacement done and I suspect that the dealership saw that the front tires were worn pretty bad compared to the rear and rotated them for me... this may or may not have been on my battery pack replacement paperwork. The front toe was pretty hosed up, leading to the bad wear on the front tires that then got rotated to the back without me being aware of that fact. Now I have the brand new tires on the front and the great condition tires that were on the front moved to the back... I suspect they are quite at home back there since that is where they just came from :) The time they spent on the front didn't do any abnormal wear because the car has been driven very little since the pack replacement.

I just wish the dealership had investigated why the front tires were worn in a pattern that indicated a toe problem instead of just rotating them... I would gladly have paid them for an alignment.

All's well that ends well I guess,

Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts