Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking for the past couple of weeks and thought I go ahead and get registered.

My son and I were having a conversation awhile back and somehow it got on to Musk/Tesla and the new Model 3 then he brought up that the Bolt was being rolled out, so I started researching. The 240 mile range would suit my 100 mile (50x2) commute almost perfectly. As part of my research I took a trip south of the Mason-Dixon to Maryland where the Bolt has already been released. I needed to find out if I would fit, I'm 6'6" and wear a 64 jacket, to my astonishment I was pretty comfortable with leg room and headroom. My shoulders are wide so I was on the B-pillar but that is almost always the case no matter what size the car. I even have enough on-board padding that the seats weren't an issue for me.

I currently drive a 98 VW Beetle with a coal-burner (diesel) engine. Unfortunately with 250k on the odometer it's starting to show it's age and wear and tear. I am loathe to give up that car because it fits me so well, just about the biggest driver space I've ever sat in including full-size SUVs and pickups. The anticipated repairs alone can almost justify the purchase of a new car. When you factor in the cost of fuel, back over $3/gal here, vs electricity, $0.15/kwh, It makes economical sense to go with an EV as a replacement for the Bug.

This would be our first new new car in 30 years. We have been buying used and then driving them until the wheels fall off. So convincing the wife has been a bit of a struggle. She is past the point of dead-set against it but not fully on-board yet. So I still need to find some answers that hopefully you good folks will be will to share your thoughts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have any charging at work? Even a 110V outlet?

If your wife is extremely against buying new, my thought is, perhaps you could persuade her to purchase a used 2016 or 2017 Volt. With 53 miles of EPA range, it could be enough to make the commute all electric during fair weather days. Then in the middle of winter, you'd burn a little gas, but far less fuel than you use today.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dont forget to tell the wife about how useful and safe Bluetooth is for using her phone in the car.
Also all of the driving aid features such as a backup cam, surround cam, and rear view mirror cam, as well as blind spot warning,, pedestrian alerts front and back, etc.
The steering wheel heater and seat heaters are wonderful too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PA has $1750 rebate for EVs and that has been factored in, along with the $7500 Federal Credit. I'm hoping to get my Bolt a month or so early, from Maryland, so that I'm at the top of the list for the State funds.;)

·
Registered
735 Posts
PA has $1750 rebate for EVs and that has been factored in, along with the $7500 Federal Credit. I'm hoping to get my Bolt a month or so early, from Maryland, so that I'm at the top of the list for the State funds.;)
Don't spend all your rebate money in one place :D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Tip for 100 mile RT commute

Driving 100 miles per day will take >20 hours each night (read NOT possible) to regain 100 miles @ 110 volts. So a 240 volt, 30-32 amp charger at home is a MUST. Even with this, a minimum of 8-9 hours of nightly charging will be needed. Additional, non-commute, miles will stress your ability to keep charged. This in-home station may cost as much as $1000 to purchase & install. Be forewarned.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My research is as done as I can get it; thanks to the folks here. A Bolt EV is in our future. Now to liquidate some assets and start negotiating with dealerships.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Driving 100 miles per day will take >20 hours each night (read NOT possible) to regain 100 miles @ 110 volts. So a 240 volt, 30-32 amp charger at home is a MUST. Even with this, a minimum of 8-9 hours of nightly charging will be needed. Additional, non-commute, miles will stress your ability to keep charged. This in-home station may cost as much as $1000 to purchase & install. Be forewarned.
A 30-amp, 240V EVSE would replace the electricity used in a 100-mile daily drive in about 3 hours. A 16-amp, 240V EVSE would need about 6 hours to do the same.

One can get a 16A 240V EVSE for less than a 32A unit, and it can be plugged into an existing electric dryer socket in the garage (if one has one) - eliminating the need for an electrician.

BUT, if you need to have an electrician install (or upgrade) a circuit anyways, I would get a "more powerful" EVSE (32A or greater). The cost difference between a 16A and a 32 is small when compared to the total cost if an electrician is involved. The real advantage of a 16A EVSE is that you can avoid the cost of an electrician if you already have a 240 plug in the garage (most of which are 30A max, 24 amp continuous). You'll also have a smaller, portable 240V EVSE to take with you on trips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts