Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I install a dash cam security camera, will the camera drain the 12v battery to death while the car is off or will it pull power from the battery bank that powers the car and lasts much longer?

If the 12v battery dies, can the car not start? Since the car doesn't have a starter motor, does it really need the 12v battery to get the car moving?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Garmin dash cam in the truck. It goes to sleep when the truck is turned off (power to sig lighter socket goes off). No drain.

Yes, you need the 12V to start the car and it can go dead.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My current dash cam isn't hardwired but I will be doing it to have a parking camera in the Bolt. Unless you have the camera recording 24/7 (don't know why you'd want to) and/or don't drive it for an extended period of time it should not be a problem for the battery. Plus most of the dash cams in parking mode only record when there's movement.

I don't know if the Bolt will start on a dead 12v but I highly doubt that the batteries are wired to draw off the 60kWh battery when the 12v is dead.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a BlackVue 650 dashcam and they offer, at an additional cost, a battery pack which should be used when the vehicle is in parking mode. I assume this is offered because the draw on the 12 volt battery is sufficient to drain it through constant recording. I don't have this as I have decided I only want the dashcam for use when driving. But if you're interested in parking mode than a secondary power source seems reasonable.

Nemy, you might want the dashcam recording 24/7 in order to capture events which happen when the vehicle is parked. When an event occurs the dashcam typically saves a period of time before the event which means it has to constantly be recording in order to do so.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
The dashcams I've seen consume too much power to be left on 24/7 while parked. You might be ok if the car is driven every day, but it's certainly extra stress on the 12v battery, which basically accumulates damage any time it's discharged more than normal use. As mentioned, some cameras have a mode where they will continue to record for some period of time after parking, but even then it usually turns off after a few minutes to hours.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nemy, you might want the dashcam recording 24/7 in order to capture events which happen when the vehicle is parked. When an event occurs the dashcam typically saves a period of time before the event which means it has to constantly be recording in order to do so.
Ya, even with the small draw, 24/7 would likely be too much for a 12v. If BoltinAround wants surveillance, though, I just meant that there are much better options and better coverage with wifi and PoE cameras

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The dashcams I've seen consume too much power to be left on 24/7 while parked. You might be ok if the car is driven every day, but it's certainly extra stress on the 12v battery, which basically accumulates damage any time it's discharged more than normal use. As mentioned, some cameras have a mode where they will continue to record for some period of time after parking, but even then it usually turns off after a few minutes to hours.
Ya, even with the small draw, 24/7 would likely be too much for a 12v. If BoltinAround wants surveillance, though, I just meant that there are much better options and better coverage with wifi and PoE cameras
This is why I included a 14000 mAH jump starter pack with an EC5 adapter along with a 12V cigarette power strip. This way, when I park at the mall I can leave the cameras on. When I'm at home or at work, I can flip the cameras off to save power. The jump pack provides 4 hrs of recording for all 4 of my cameras. Typically takes many hours of charging in the Bolt before the jump pack can become full again, so I just occasionally unplug it and charge it from 110AC at home.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is why I included a 14000 mAH jump starter pack with an EC5 adapter along with a 12V cigarette power strip. This way, when I park at the mall I can leave the cameras on. When I'm at home or at work, I can flip the cameras off to save power. The jump pack provides 4 hrs of recording for all 4 of my cameras. Typically takes many hours of charging in the Bolt before the jump pack can become full again, so I just occasionally unplug it and charge it from 110AC at home.
4 cameras?! :eek: Do you have any pictures? I really wanna see how you mounted and wired up the pack. Might be an option cause I want to hide the wiring with the rearview mirror like tk1971's post but that means it'd be ignition-based.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you are getting power from the power outlet on the dash, as soon as you switch the car off the power is cut off.

The car needs its 12V battery to close the main contactors to be able to drive the car,( no power in the 12V means the car does not move or power up.)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Interesting that the GM EV-1 had a little button under the dash on the passenger side that would shunt some traction-pack electrons to the auxiliary battery to "self-jumpstart" if the aux battery was dead.

That was in 1997. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
4 cameras?! :eek: Do you have any pictures? I really wanna see how you mounted and wired up the pack. Might be an option cause I want to hide the wiring with the rearview mirror like tk1971's post but that means it'd be ignition-based.
You might not like my rig. I'm not handy and fear breaking/wearing-out trim clips so i just run cables along crevices and along the weatherstripping. Very lease-friendly since I made not permanent mods. Attached are some old pics of the power switch and the jump pack. I used permanent heavy duty double-sided tape for the power switches which are fed power from the jump pack. The jump pack is secured using heavy duty Velcro so I can remove it for in-house/office charging. The rear camera is held up with 3M command strips and the side cameras are held up with friction mounts and zipties/anchors. I think I have another post somewhere on this forum with pictures of the wires run inside the weatherstripping (I pealed back the weatherstripping's un-glued flaps to show the cables inside).

Details on my cameras are on the Volt forum: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?271233-Dash-cam-placement-blindspot-vs-sideways

Sample video of all 4 feeds when installed in my Volt: https://vimeo.com/197864304

If you are getting power from the power outlet on the dash, as soon as you switch the car off the power is cut off.

The car needs its 12V battery to close the main contactors to be able to drive the car,( no power in the 12V means the car does not move or power up.)
Yeah, this was what I meant. I wasn't worried about running down the 12V, I was worried about not having 12V power to keep my cameras on while I was shopping. The minute you open the driver's door, 12V accessory power is turned off along with my cameras.

Interesting that the GM EV-1 had a little button under the dash on the passenger side that would shunt some traction-pack electrons to the auxiliary battery to "self-jumpstart" if the aux battery was dead.

That was in 1997. *sigh*
*sigh* That's a pretty cool feature. Maybe GM got nervous with the sue-happy culture in USA getting worse overtime. Maybe they didn't want someone mashing on the jumpstart until something (bad) happened. Plus side of having my jump start pack: it acts as a battery buffer and a jump starter for the Bolt!

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
The easiest solution would be to run a new power wire to the power port I see your problem, the fix is easy.

Remove the power wire that is now there, then install another, the power can come right from the battery if you wish or you can just find a always on hot fuse in the fuse box tap in there.( there are plenty of solutions to tapping in to fuses or fuse boxes)

If GM is still using the standard wiring for the power port, the ground and the power are molded into one plug, you can cut the power wire (leaving yourself some wire to work with) then splice in the new power wire.

If you have a test light finding a hot fuse, or hot lug in the box is easy, probe the box find a likely candidate then tap in or plug on to a lug run your wire to the power port.

You can also just install another power port leave it hanging for now, until you find a good spot for it, you can pick one up at any parts store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts