Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wow I didn’t know that Amazon’s entered the EVSE game as well! Anyway, at that price point you’re approaching JuiceBox / Clipper Creek territory so might want to check those out as well.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
41 Posts
I don't see the advantage of networking the EVSE, of course I'm an old dinosaur who could still whip out COBOL code. I've been happy with my Bosch unit (actually made by Delta) that I've had since 2014. I've never seen the Amazon one, but IMHO Amazon Basics products are like Harbor Freight tools - just adequate. In all my years of EV driving, the most consistantly recommended brand is Clipper Creek, and they can be had for the same, or little more, as what you have presented. You are going to have to put in some sweat equity, or pay big bucks to an electrician, to install the unit or outlet; don't cheap out. Quality pays off in the long run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both of these look like other versions of what I have, a PowerCharge E20SWC Energy Connect Residential EV Charger, which itself appears to be a relabeled LiteOn model. The things I like about it are 1) it's UL listed 2) it has a kWh display and 3) in my case the company that supports it is local. They are very friendly! The unit itself is solid and has been reliable.

The iOS app is not very good. Took a while to realize that you need to leave the charger "on" if you just want to plug in the car and not activate it with the phone each time. I suppose if you put the charger in a public spot that might be a plus. My biggest complaint is that the kWh reading resets after a power cycle. There is supposedly a lifetime power consumption but I haven't figured out how to display it. Of course these other two models could have different firmware.

The cost of adding the networking option was small compared to installation and other electrical work that was necessary at the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Perused over some of the reviews and actually there is one odd thing: once every two or three months it detects a ground fault. Usually happens when not connected to the car. The only way to recover is to power cycle. Figured this had to due with my 100 year old house but was mentioned in a couple other reviews online so now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good grief, Amazon is now rebranding chargers?

My vote is to save your money and just install am accessible 240V outlet if you don't have one already. A small adapter and your OEM EVSE will provide 2.88kW, which is good enough for a half charge overnight. No point in spending more on a fancier one unless you're sure that's not enough.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very interesting! I still think I would have decided to go with my JuiceBox Pro, if I was in the market again. But still, an interesting option, especially for those who are especially sensitive to the price.

I do like the holster setup the JB uses better than the metal hook and little cap on the charger. (metal good, little cap bad) I've seen them on Amazon for under $15, IIRC, though, so not a big deal to swap that part out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The poster claims his charger is wearing out??? I have a Siemens 30 AMP for my plug-in hybrid (since January 2016), and a Juice Box 40 Amp for my Bolt (since April 2017), and minimal problems with either. Neither is networked. That said, the Siemens gets a little glitchy if the power goes out, had to unplug it to reset it once or twice in 4.5 years. NEVER had a problem with the juice box until I drove over the cable and ripped it out of the box... the folks at Juice Box sent me a replacement relay that got destroyed for what seemed like a minimal cost, and charged exactly what UPS charged them for shipping and handling (it was cross country) with no upcharge. I remain impressed. They will have my business again. But wearing these things out? Then again, mine are both inside a garage...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with a Clipper Creek unit. The networking seems hokey to me, and the CC units don’t include such foolery.

The whole intent of the networking is to allow the power company to control when and how much you can charge. That gets them subsidized, so they are cheaper.

I might be excited about that if my power company charge me less for charging at night, but they don’t.

I’m very happy with the CC unit. Mine is ruggedized, and has a lock to prevent theft of services.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It is always good to check if you power company has any rebate programs for installing an EVSE. Mine will pay 80%, up to $500, for one that can be networked and "communicated" with. This can make a high feature EVSE (i.e. Juice Box) cheaper than one that has no networking features.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The poster claims his charger is wearing out??? I have a Siemens 30 AMP for my plug-in hybrid (since January 2016), and a Juice Box 40 Amp for my Bolt (since April 2017), and minimal problems with either. Neither is networked. That said, the Siemens gets a little glitchy if the power goes out, had to unplug it to reset it once or twice in 4.5 years. NEVER had a problem with the juice box until I drove over the cable and ripped it out of the box... the folks at Juice Box sent me a replacement relay that got destroyed for what seemed like a minimal cost, and charged exactly what UPS charged them for shipping and handling (it was cross country) with no upcharge. I remain impressed. They will have my business again. But wearing these things out? Then again, mine are both inside a garage...
No. The research is wearing him out. As in, he has a lot of options and can’t decide.

All this research to pick a home charger for the 2019 Bolt I just bought is wearing out!
save your money and don’t waste it on frivolity. Forget WiFi and tracking and just get a decent 30-40A charger and be done with it. It’s not worth the hassle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts