Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prices for the Netherlands were announced last Friday: 44.000 EURO for pretty much a Premier model. Almost 48.000 USD. That's quite a bit. And if you order one now, you can expect delivery mid 2018 :crying:

·
Super Moderator
2,560 Posts
Prices for the Netherlands were announced last Friday: 44.000 EURO for pretty much a Premier model. Almost 48.000 USD. That's quite a bit. And if you order one now, you can expect delivery mid 2018 :crying:
Besides exchange rates, I imagine there are taxes involved that we may not have, not to mention the shipping expense. Here the freight and destination charges are included as a line item in the price. Aren't they going to get them sooner in Norway? Is that a huge hassle to buy there and drive home?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The prices quoted in the U.S. do not include sales tax.

Doesn't the Netherlands have about a 20% VAT tax? Adding 20% to $37,500 gives $45,000.

The vehicle is being imported into the EU, is there an import tax?

Then there's the cost of shipping the vehicle to Europe.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Maybe the transfer price from GM-USA to Peugeot is sufficiently high so as to choke off the Ampera volume ?

If the 2018 Chevy Bolt is going to offer sunroof, fog lights and a driver lumbar adjustment. I'll sell you mine in a year from now (FOB Toronto, a cehjun red premier with low kms) and buy myself a new one..
;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ouch, that's quite the amount of taxes and what not. But... gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Hopefully the 2018 models can get some updates so you don't feel as bad??

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The prices quoted in the U.S. do not include sales tax.
Of course I understand about sales and import taxes and shipping and all. But still ..... In Norway, the same car is about 32.000 EURO (34.500 USD) including sales tax. Maybe this is after some EV incentive, but still ....

For my understanding, the whole "less than 30.000 USD after tax incentives" excludes your local sales tax? That I did not know. And it sounds a little deceiving ... Probably not when you are a native US citizen.

·
Super Moderator
2,560 Posts
Of course I understand about sales and import taxes and shipping and all. But still ..... In Norway, the same car is about 32.000 EURO (34.500 USD) including sales tax. Maybe this is after some EV incentive, but still ....

For my understanding, the whole "less than 30.000 USD after tax incentives" excludes your local sales tax? That I did not know. And it sounds a little deceiving ... Probably not when you are a native US citizen.
Yeah, we're used to that swindle. The nationally advertised price on anything never includes sales tax. The sales tax varies from state to state, county to county and even city to city. Some states have no sales tax.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Prices for the Netherlands were announced last Friday: 44.000 EURO for pretty much a Premier model. Almost 48.000 USD.
Opel website shows that Netherlands retail price for Ampera-e starts at €33,058 plus €995 inland freight (afleverkosten?). Excluding 21% VAT. At current translation rate of around 1 EUR= 1.08 USD. Price would translate to around $37k USD. Quite close to the Bolt’s starting price in the USA of $USD 37,495 including DFC.

If Netherlands offered as generous EV incentives as Norway (no VAT and preferential fees) it might receive more Ampera-e’s sooner ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Opel website shows that Netherlands retail price for Ampera-e starts at €33,058 plus €995 inland freight (afleverkosten?). Excluding 21% VAT. At current translation rate of around 1 EUR= 1.08 USD. Price would translate to around $37k USD. Quite close to the Bolt’s starting price in the USA of $USD 37,495 including DFC.

If Netherlands offered as generous EV incentives as Norway (no VAT and preferential fees) it might receive more Ampera-e’s sooner ?
The incentives are huge, although they only apply to company cars, not private cars:

I used to drive a Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel as a company car. I was taxed over the fact that I was allowed to use it for personal purposes. I had to pay approx. 480 USD net in additional taxes every month! Currently, I drive an Outlander PHEV (plugin hybrid), also as a company car, and I pay 0. These savings over a 5 year period have a bigger value than the car itself.

For the Ampera E something similar would apply. Nevertheless, it seems 'we' are getting only 350 cars in 2017. 250 of them are reserved for leasing companies. The other 100 are distributed over 28 agents, each of which will keep one for the showroom and one as a demo. That leaves only very few to be purchased by actual customers.

I understand that pricing is highly affected by sales tax. But in the past, we have seen that list prices where lower in countries with higher taxes. And compared to Norway, the Dutch pricing seems stiff ....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
So buy the car in Norway - use the EU to benefit you - both countries are member states. It (used to be) that one could buy goods and services anywhere and take them home with no local tax consequences. I had friends living in France that would buy their car in Belgium (lower VAT) or Italy (lower list prices for French cars than in France, in order to promote sales) and drive them home and register them in France.

Since it sounds like there is no PURCHASE benefit (rebate or govt subsidy) to buying the the Netherlands, AND there will not be many cars available in Holland, so buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, we're used to that swindle. The nationally advertised price on anything never includes sales tax. The sales tax varies from state to state, county to county and even city to city. Some states have no sales tax.
And some states double tax. Maryland, for example.
I moved from California to MD. Had to pay sales tax to register it there, even though I paid CA sales tax almost two years earlier. No amount of proof that I had paid sales tax already mattered.
(OK, that was last century. Still makes me mad, probably hasn't changed.)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Opel has published a new price list for the Ampera E in the Netherlands. Launch Edition is now called Business Executive. Innovation trim is now called Business+. Apparently these new names are a good reason to up the prices with no less than 5000 EURO (5800 USD) :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
So buy the car in Norway - use the EU to benefit you - both countries are member states. It (used to be) that one could buy goods and services anywhere and take them home with no local tax consequences.
This would not actually work because Norway is not a member of the EU.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After ordering my Ampera E back in April, it has finally arrived at the dealer. Delivery will be postponed until first week of January, so it will have a 2018 registration and not a 2017 registration. Waiting 3 weeks still seems to increase resell value for when you want to get rid of it.

·
Super Moderator
2,560 Posts
After ordering my Ampera E back in April, it has finally arrived at the dealer. Delivery will be postponed until first week of January, so it will have a 2018 registration and not a 2017 registration. Waiting 3 weeks still seems to increase resell value for when you want to get rid of it.
I am so glad you're finally getting your Ampera! You have really stuck it out and you will be rewarded. It is a real shame the whole Opel sale to PSA has denied many Europeans of a pretty cool EV.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts