Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stupid question: I've got a Level II 30-amp charger (ChargePoint) on a 40-amp circuit. Obviously it's 240V. However, the car has an 8-amp and 12-amp option in the charging mode. It's defaulted to 8-amp. My question is: should I set it to 12-amp? Why do Level 2 charging stations require 30-amp circuits if they're only putting out a max of 12-amps?

Edit: Nevermind - found that 8 or 12-amp is only for Level 1 charging. Level 2 charging is always at max draw (30 amp, 240v).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Where did you find that in "official" GM / Chevrolet documentation ?

Did you find reference to DC fast charger provisions as well ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you find that in "official" GM / Chevrolet documentation ?

Did you find reference to DC fast charger provisions as well ?
It's not in the manual, it's a protocol build into Level 2 chargers. They "talk" to the car and negotiate current. By default, unless the charging station settings have been modified, the car will take the full current when connected.

I'm guessing the same is true for DCFC. The reason there is an 8 or 12-amp option is due to 120v house plugs might not have many amps in the circuit breaker. If you plug into a standard 120 outlet and are on 12-amp, and finding you're tripping the breaker whenever you run your microwave oven - you need to lower it to 8-amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts