Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch and learn. This is for EVERYONE that has an EV.

Reactions: Terry Hancock

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,057 Posts
I learned that the Ford Mach-E EVSE still isn't as small, or as versatile, as our Tesla Gen 2 EVSE. :oops:

Year-over-year growth of EV deliveries in China

EV automaker2021 total deliveriesYOY growth
SAIC Motor *732,646 *128.9%
BYD320,622146.4%
Tesla **319,723 **81%
Lynk & Co.220,516 *26%
Great Wall Motor *136,953 *81.8%
XPeng Motors98,155263%
NIO91,429109%
Li Auto90,491 *177.4%
WM Motor44.157199.2%
Zeekr6,007N/A
* Total is for all NEVs including PHEVs
** Tesla numbers estimated based off 249,223 confirmed deliveries as of Nov. 2021 and 70,500 estimated deliveries for Dec. 2021
US sales of EVs also jumped 83 percent to 434,879 in 2021, of which, 313,400 were Teslas!

Tesla said on Sunday it sold 936,000 vehicles globally in the last year, up 87% from its 2020 figures.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,279 Posts
It's human nature to generalize items and behaviors. All tissues are Kleenex and all window cleaners are Windex for example.

Any device that you plug into something to recharge it is a charger regardless of the exact mechanism of how that charging is accomplished.

Here's another example. In Texas, all soft drinks, regardless of brand or flavor, are called Coke:

This is a completely different debate than the kWh/kW wars that we have here on the forums. Saying that one has a 66 kW battery is as nonsensical as saying one pumps 40 MPG into their tank. It literally makes no sense. Units actually matter, as opposed to using a generic name for a device.

The only one problem with EVSE is the perception that they are some kind of special device when they are little more than an extension cord. If more people really understood their function, maybe the prices would actually drop to something reasonable. $500-$600 for an extension cord is a bit rich.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
It's human nature to generalize items and behaviors. All tissues are Kleenex and all window cleaners are Windex for example.
It also shows a complete lack of knowledge, and interest, in EVs. None of our Prius owning, liberal friends have any interest in buying an EV, ten years into the lithium ion battery EV revolution.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The service writer who handled my Bolt Battery swap was genuinely interested in the low operating cost of a Bolt for his 60 mile daily commute, but would not risk owning one without a 200k battery warranty. I replied that the decision to buy was indeed a leap of faith on my part, but I have 168k on the Odo and a brand new battery...so far so good I hope.

The risk (however small) of incurring a $15 - $25k battery fail at 100k looms large in the minds of many, IMO.

Somewhat widespread stories of Priuses needing a $4k (dealer retail) battery replacement haven't helped, either.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
It also shows a complete lack of knowledge, and interest, in EVs.
No, it shows your over-knowledge and over-interest in EV's. Most people want transportation and don't want to spend hours learning all the specifics of a different version of the transportation they are accustomed to. If they want to call it a charger because it's used to charge the car, let them. You're only turning more people "off" to the idea of an EV if you insist on them learning an excessive amount of specific, unfamiliar terminology.

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
No, it shows your over-knowledge and over-interest in EV's. Most people want transportation and don't want to spend hours learning all the specifics of a different version of the transportation they are accustomed to. If they want to call it a charger because it's used to charge the car, let them. You're only turning more people "off" to the idea of an EV if you insist on them learning an excessive amount of specific, unfamiliar terminology.
There is no such thing as over-knowledge. I don't insist on them learning anything. I gave up on convincing anybody of anything decades ago.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
There is no such thing as over-knowledge.
There absolutely is.
Common problem with new engineers is analysis-paralysis. They have to learn everything and know everything and perfect everything. An experienced engineer knows when to stop and say that this meets the requirements and is good enough. Some of us try to take it a step or two further and make it better than just good enough, but the point is that doing more, or knowing more, becomes detrimental at some point. It prevents you from moving on and getting more things done or expanding your knowledge in other, possibly more important areas.

BTW, Chevrolet calls them chargers: Home Charging for Electric Vehicles | Chevrolet

·
Administrator
3,125 Posts
Exactly!

One of the things I point out to prospective owners at EV car events is that some look and feel just like any other car, same buttons, knobs, levers, displays, etc. Others put all of the functionality on a tablet screen (Tesla). Most say they would feel more comfortable sticking with familiar, though understand the transition to on screen settings would eventually become comfortable for them.

Those of us interested enough to participate in forums, EV events, advocacy, are probably a relatively small portion of the owners. This forum for instance appeals to less than 10% of all Bolt owners and even here there is a wide range of technical knowledge on the car and technology.

Early adopters tend to be more technical. As EV adoption becomes mainstream, the 80/20 rule will likely play out with only 20% really keen on knowing the nuts and bolts, and 80% just wanting something to get from A to B without any hassles.

When we talk to prospects in the latter category, it is important not to overwhelm them with complexity. Which is why the whole DCFC plug wars, exclusive networks, and complex app\billing crap bothers me so much. One of the biggest obstacles I hear talking to the public is confusion over public charging. It is enough to keep many on the sidelines until we (EV community) sort it all out. I don't bring this up as a topic for debate, but to emphasize that tailoring conversations to the audience is key to effective communication.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm an engineer - I learned the concept as "paralysis by analysis" I remember a poster with the line "...sooner or later you have to shoot all the engineers and start production"

A sales manager at my former employer, an industrial automation company, used to maintain that the only way to get a product out of R&D engineering was to sell it, thereby creating a hard deadline to ship a working unit.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
It also shows a complete lack of knowledge, and interest, in EVs. None of our Prius owning, liberal friends have any interest in buying an EV, ten years into the lithium ion battery EV revolution.
The Prius is about the perfect vehicle. I still miss mine. It's better in every way to the Acura TSX I kept instead, except it's not fun to drive and doesn't have a manual gearbox I can teach my kids. Yes, my kids will be weirdos amongst their peers, capable of driving stick in a world of autonomous cars.

I've not been able to convince any of my liberal friends to buy an EV. Maybe one of them was nudged, but he already had an interest in EV. This is Subaru country up here.

Here's another example. In Texas, all soft drinks, regardless of brand or flavor, are called Coke:
I've seen that in quite a few places. What do you say when you want a Coke? "I'd like a coke, Coke please?" Or do you just say the whole name, Coca-Cola?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Understanding stops action

For some, understanding all the possible ramifications and results, means paralysis.

That's why we have dozens of threads here debating the very remote possiblity of a Bolt battery fire and dozens of threads debating upper and lower charging limits, parking outdoors, watching while charging, harranging GM for not immediately doing the impossible, ad infinitum.

Some few calculate the probabilities, accept there are always outliers and then get on with life.

jack vines

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
There absolutely is.
Common problem with new engineers is analysis-paralysis.
This is not too much knowledge, but rather too little experience. You can learn everything through experience, but that is a slow, and sometimes dangerous, way to learn things that are already understood.

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
The Prius is about the perfect vehicle.
Yes. It is self-charging. :ROFLMAO: It weighs a ton and a half to haul a 150-250 pound mammal with legs and feet, so no.

I realize that talking about the perfect vehicle on a car forum is pretty pointless. Kind of like discussing the perfect fastener on a hammer forum.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The Prius is about the perfect vehicle.
Disagree! The Prius is about a perfect transportation module; ideal for those whose prime directive is reliably moving people at the lowest cost.

Back when Prius were a new thing, I was having difficulty keeping up with one on a Montana back road I knew well; he was driving the wheels off it. When he stopped at a crossroads coffee stand, out of curiosity, I stopped to talk with the driver, who turned out to be a UofM student. I asked, "How do you like your Prius?" His reply, "I hate it; it's totally lame to drive. I keep trying to break it and maybe then dad will let me have the truck I really wanted. The one thing is, the Prius handles so bad at the limit, I scared myself several times back there and that's sorta fun."

jack vines

·
Registered
115 Posts
Every car I have owned I have tried to learn as much about them as I could. Starting with going over the owners manual to learn any particular special things needed to know about my car. Usually I do this while sitting in the car and going through the settings as I read about them. Many people just want to get in and drive and worry about how something operates when only they have a need to know. Many of those turn to groups and forums to ask instead of researching for the information first. I like to research first then ask secondly if I can’t find my answer. I find I retain the knowlege better if I find it myself than if someone tells me the answer. But that is just how I have always been.
P.S. unfortunately at my age I sometimes confuse which car does what and may give a wrong answer to a question. In that case I will eat crow and admit I was wrong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've seen that in quite a few places. What do you say when you want a Coke? "I'd like a coke, Coke please?" Or do you just say the whole name, Coca-Cola?
In the fifties in Florida it was not uncommon to hear people ask for the competitor even: "I'd like an RC Coke Cola, please." Or an Orange Coke (Nehi), Grape Coke, etc. The prefix gave it away.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The Prius is about the perfect vehicle. I still miss mine. It's better in every way to the Acura TSX I kept instead, except it's not fun to drive and doesn't have a manual gearbox I can teach my kids. Yes, my kids will be weirdos amongst their peers, capable of driving stick in a world of autonomous cars.

I've not been able to convince any of my liberal friends to buy an EV. Maybe one of them was nudged, but he already had an interest in EV. This is Subaru country up here.

So they will be getting the SU4X? 😉

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,606 Posts
Amen. "Perfect is the enemy of good" - Voltaire

As long as safety isn't being compromised I'm not going to nit pick. Heck My kids call the EVSE cable the "electrohose". I like it better than the car charger cable.
I nominate "electrohose" as the new official term that everyone uses from now on.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts