Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
28 Posts
I think it's likely been designed in from the beginning. Just look at the data the “Smart Driver” system has about where you drove, where your braking was harsh, etc. This car is constantly phoning home with data, and you can bet GM is really interested in what is happening in the field with their first real EV (this millennium).

It wouldn't surprise me if they've now turned up the dial for even more data, or to find I'm wrong and they have some telematics data resource and are squandering it just thinking how to sell it to advertisers. But my suspicion is that they already know a ton about what's going on in their Bolt fleet and its batteries.
If I never signed up for OnStar (don't need their high price for something that just runs around town), does the car actually phone home? Or is it running completely disconnected?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
28 Posts
Can you send me logs of that? Because that's exactly what I have looked for, and never seen.

I know that I Can't see it when it's happening, but I should be able to see the result. I have continuously monitored for varying lengths of time, and I never see the higher cells coming back down. I have a 0.025V maximum spread, and it doesn't matter how long it sits, they stay exactly the same.

So it's possible that, with my software, my pack simply never needs to balance. Or, it's balancing at different times than I'm expecting. It's curious that many 2017s have about the same 0.025V maximum spread, which seems to be too coincidental to not be balanced. But like I said, I have never seen one high cell coming down while the battery is idle.
Interesting that when I took mine in for recall service #2, the service report indicated that they tested the battery, which resulted in lowest cell 3.4V, average 3.4V. Since the car wasn't fully charged when I brought it in, that presumably means it's in balance?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you look at this "conditioning" with Torque Pro? Every single charge to hilltop, since the final update has had our EVSE on for four hours. The only thing going on during that time has been trickle charging of the 12 volt battery.

My cooling fan runs periodically after full charging in the garage when plugged in, and I can tell you it does this more often after the "fix". My charger records the session and I can see the KW usage go up each time it does this, about once an hour with cooling fan running for several minutes. It is not trickle charging. Had my Bolt since 2017 and it does conditioning in the garage every summer during the heat (>100F).

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Exclusive, indepth, double post. See here :

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
My cooling fan runs periodically after full charging in the garage when plugged in, and I can tell you it does this more often after the "fix". My charger records the session and I can see the KW usage go up each time it does this, about once an hour with cooling fan running for several minutes. It is not trickle charging. Had my Bolt since 2017 and it does conditioning in the garage every summer during the heat (>100F).
OK. Our garage may have gotten that hot once in the four years we have had the Bolt.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
357 Posts
I am noticing this too. Even after charging on L1 for only a few hours and no appreciable rise in temp on a 90 degree day. I have been reading that there seems to be some correlation between SOC, cell temperature and time that impact the likely hood to catch on fire. I would encourage anyone interested in spending a lot of time reading to peruse NFPA

It seemed to me that the whole business of limiting the SOC and being more critical of cell temp fits right into reducing the likelihood for a problem. The presence of some defect can make the likelihood greater but it does not need to be the entire story. fwiw

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've noticed that since the recall update I have not heard the cooling fans run whatsoever. I know Teleke surmised that this is due to letting the batteries run a bit warmer prevents dendrite growth with the expense of some degradation (but it could prevent internal shorts). It was just strange to me charging up in 40 degree Celsius weather and not hearing those fans turn on.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
28 Posts
I've noticed that since the recall update I have not heard the cooling fans run whatsoever. I know Teleke surmised that this is due to letting the batteries run a bit warmer prevents dendrite growth with the expense of some degradation (but it could prevent internal shorts). It was just strange to me charging up in 40 degree Celsius weather and not hearing those fans turn on.
I've noticed no change. If it's over 100F and the car has hot-soaked, battery conditioning power usage will appear in the on-screen display when I'm driving. If it's been hot-soaking, it's over about 95F, and I plug it in (including just the 120V charger), the fans will come on. Which is fine. I'd rather have the cooling more aggressive than less, and the 120V charger is good for powering that.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
357 Posts
Perhaps your battery is getting warm after charging, and ours is not, because it has a shorting cell? :unsure:
Maybe. I did not pull out my ELF and check the temps. Maybe too the ambient changed more than I thought. Maybe the cells warmed up during charging due to the ambient and or pavement temperature.

When I previously charged in my garage, I was using departure charging at about 7:00 am stop time. In this case, the ambient temp profile was much different. Actually now that I remember, I did this because the car was doing cooling after charging and this was heating up the garage quite a bit. It seemed slightly counter productive.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've noticed no change. If it's over 100F and the car has hot-soaked, battery conditioning power usage will appear in the on-screen display when I'm driving. If it's been hot-soaking, it's over about 95F, and I plug it in (including just the 120V charger), the fans will come on. Which is fine. I'd rather have the cooling more aggressive than less, and the 120V charger is good for powering that.
Weird, maybe my Bolt is just not hot enough haha

221 - 232 of 232 Posts