Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Chevrolet Bolt and am very impressed with it except for one design flaw that I believe needs to be brought to the attention of Chevrolet.

The dash board in it is very light in color and this causes hazardous reflections of the windshield into the driver’s eyes, especially when driving through an area of sun and shade. Even in the case of uniform sunshine, not directly shining on the dash, there is a clear, bright image of the dash reflecting into the driver’s eyes, which interferes with viewing the road. Polarized sunglasses help, but this reduces the visibility of the instrument panel.

My Chevy Bolt Premium model has Light Ash Gray, Ceramic White, and Perforated Leather interior trim. The dash, which is very extensive in the Bolt. is Light Ash Gray and this is actually shiny and close to off white. Because the windshield is at an acute angle, this combination makes driving unsafe. I can supply more information if needed. This interior trim is only available on the Premium models with certain exterior paint choices, so it is not so common.

I have surveyed a few hundred cars parked along the streets of Berkeley and all of them have a dull black or extremely dark gray material on the dashes.

I fed this information back to my dealer, Fremont Chevrolet and the sales associate has tried to find a third party dash pad, but none are currently available. I have made a temporary on out of black poster paper from a local art supply store. This has resolved the reflection problem, but it looks terrible.

As a physicist, who worked at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, I am very surprised that this kind of design flaw could get through to the production and sale level of Chevrolet.

TotaledJetta

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So the white part of the dashboard is reflecting light back onto the windshield? Maybe you can get on of those dash mats for the time being until there's a better solution? Or get those thin carpets and cut it down to size.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the white part of the dashboard is reflecting light back onto the windshield? Maybe you can get on of those dash mats for the time being until there's a better solution? Or get those thin carpets and cut it down to size.
That is probably the solution for me. The dealer was unable to find any third party dash mats at this time. The geometry is a little complicated because of the air vent structure and the charging light. My black art paper cutout is a rough pattern for this. I thought about carpet material, but since the dash is not flat I wasn't sure carpet would conform to the curvature. Anyway, I wanted to try to feedback to Chevrolet, they should not continue to manufacture this trim combination. Curious, whether anybody is listening.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Curious, whether anybody is listening.
I have heard this complaint before and after checking out some Bolts at the Portland auto show I agree with it. But this is something I've always checked for on cars I've been interested in buying. I was interested in the Volt (until I saw how bad the rear seat was) and one of the things I specifically looked for was whether the two-tone brandy-and-black interior would case distracting windshield reflections.

So I guess I'm a little surprised that you bought this combination in the first place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Black Bolt with the darker interior, and the reflection off the dash combined with the resulting glare off the windshield really reduces visibility when driving sunward. I hate to have to cover this with a fabric - but might need to resort to it.

They should do something about this our come up with some application which can be made to reduce glare.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a Black Bolt with the darker interior, and the reflection off the dash combined with the resulting glare off the windshield really reduces visibility when driving sunward. I hate to have to cover this with a fabric - but might need to resort to it.

They should do something about this our come up with some application which can be made to reduce glare.

I have same Bolt but have had no glare. I am 6'3 maybe I sit up higher?? ???? dunno.

·
Registered
734 Posts

that has me thinking if there's some matte tone clear film we can lay over that will take care of this. But aside from that we can get dashmats. The only problem with that is odds are we have a long way to go before a Bolt dashmat comes to market.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Glad to hear someone else noticed. What is the color of your dash? It probably darker than ash, but even then the large flat area and acute angle of the windshield will give some reflection. I have been thinking about what material might work as a dash pad. It would be nice to have it with a rubber like texture on the bottom, so it doesn't slide around. Also needs to conform the the bulges in the dash board.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Glad to hear someone else noticed. What is the color of your dash? It probably darker than ash, but even then the large flat area and acute angle of the windshield will give some reflection. I have been thinking about what material might work as a dash pad. It would be nice to have it with a rubber like texture on the bottom, so it doesn't slide around. Also needs to conform the the bulges in the dash board.
There are only two Bolt dash colors, both are gray, one is light and one is dark. I have the dark gray, and have zero problems with reflection glare. The light gray seems to be relatively uncommon, and apparently does have a reflection problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I feel your pain.

Until something is made for the Bolt, you may find a quick (if not elegant) solution in this stuff

Tool Mate Nonslip Toolbox Liner Mat - 22in. x 84in.

available from the usual sources, like Amazon, eBay, Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot etc.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have same Bolt but have had no glare. I am 6'3 maybe I sit up higher?? ???? dunno.
What trim package do you have? I don't think it is height, since I am 6' 2". It is most noticeable on a road with patches of sun and shade and the sun coming from through the windshield. Not so bad on a straight road in sun light, although the dash reflection is there. My trim package is Light Ash Gray, Ceramic White, and Perforated Leather available on the Premier with Blue Metallic. Photo below. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are only two Bolt dash colors, both are gray, one is light and one is dark. I have the dark gray, and have zero problems with reflection glare. The light gray seems to be relatively uncommon, and apparently does have a reflection problem.
I would be happy with dark gray.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would be happy with dark gray.
I AM happy with dark gray. No noticeable glare.

However, at night there is a rather distracting reflection in the windows of the decorative band of lighting around the dash that I think comes only on the Premier edition.

My big beef has to do with storage. I put this in the nitpick thread, but will repeat it here in the hope the Veep actually reads your well crafted letter-

My most serious nitpick so far (after only 24 hours of ownership!) is that the Bolt has considerably less cargo storage space than my 2013 Leaf. According to stats I found online, the Leaf has 23.6 cubic feet or storage vs. the Bolt's puny 16.9. That's a major bummer for me, and my Costco shopping will be negatively impacted.

:)

But seriously folks, the idiots who left in that bulky styrofoam crap under the back storage area for the nonexistent spare tire should be fired. That entire area should have been redesigned which would have provided many more storage and cargo options and much more area.

Did they go to engineering school at the Massachusetts College for the Hopelessly Bewildered???

C'mon man!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a blast from the past about my light colored dash board on my 2017 Bolt. I just checked the 2018 model and with the right choices of interior trim you can still get the one with a ash white and light grey dashboard that reflects too much light up into the slanted windshield and into the driver's eyes. Surprising that Chevrolet is still selling that version. Details in other parts of this thread.:(

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^ Well, not really "surprising" that GM still offers those interior choices.

Does anyone think that GM actually "listens" to complaints from owners or reads boards like this one?

Other than straight warranty issues... I think we're on our own here..... we're just talking between ourselves IMO.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My most serious nitpick so far (after only 24 hours of ownership!) is that the Bolt has considerably less cargo storage space than my 2013 Leaf. According to stats I found online, the Leaf has 23.6 cubic feet or storage vs. the Bolt's puny 16.9.
But seriously folks, the idiots who left in that bulky styrofoam crap under the back storage area for the nonexistent spare tire should be fired. That entire area should have been redesigned which would have provided many more storage and cargo options and much more area.

Several contributers to the Forum have removed the styrofoam and fashioned (or purchased) compartmentalized storage for under the removeable floor. With the rear seats down, I have had room for all that I have needed: suitcases, shoe bag, my Siemans VersiCharge (plugged = portable) Level 2 EVSE, my NEMA 14-50 plug to NEMA 6-50 outlet 10 foot extension cable, my Tesla Tap, my jumper cables, & my tire inflator. I have fit my bicycle (front tire off) easily within, and have even brought 8' boards from Lowe's home in the back. Eight bags of mulch fit (and, at my age, I don't buy more than that on any one visit!) It ain't perfect, but it'll do.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I just checked the 2018 model and with the right choices of interior trim you can still get the one with a ash white and light grey dashboard that reflects too much light up into the slanted windshield and into the driver's eyes. Surprising that Chevrolet is still selling that version.
Some people in hot sunny regions like a light coloured interior that doesn't absorb as much solar radiation.

Luckily I live in a temperate region and don't have to worry about that so much. I'm always careful to buy cars with dark dashes so as to avoid windshield glare.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What trim package do you have? I don't think it is height, since I am 6' 2". It is most noticeable on a road with patches of sun and shade and the sun coming from through the windshield. Not so bad on a straight road in sun light, although the dash reflection is there. My trim package is Light Ash Gray, Ceramic White, and Perforated Leather available on the Premier with Blue Metallic. Photo below. Any other thoughts are welcome.

The trim package as white seats and perforated leather on a Premier with Blue Metallic. I happen to be 6 2 as well so maybe the sun doesn't shine where you live. But you are right, it is worst when driving through patches of sun and shade. In my opinion unsafe and unacceptable, but different strokes for different folks. As far as I know all other trim packages have the very dark grey, which is not a problem.

In my case I eventually bought and installed a black Dash Cover and although it looks uncool, the reflection is no longer an issue. Still who would want a light reflective dash and why would Chevrolet continue to use it. Beats me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ Well, not really "surprising" that GM still offers those interior choices.

Does anyone think that GM actually "listens" to complaints from owners or reads boards like this one?

Other than straight warranty issues... I think we're on our own here..... we're just talking between ourselves IMO.
I was naive enough to think that they set this forum up to tune in and and get feedback. My mistake.:nerd:

·
Registered
293 Posts
6'9" Ash Gray. No reflection. Maybe if folks try a higher seating position it would help. Maybe. I tend to be very sensitive to this sort of thing but have never noticed it in Bolt.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts