·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
383 Posts
These articles are crazy speculation.

If it’s so hard to build a profitable BEV, how in the heck are we going to have electric flying machine companies make money?

It’s Popular Science’s “Flying Car” promise all over again.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
If it’s so hard to build a profitable BEV, how in the heck are we going to have electric flying machine companies make money?
This might be more realistic near term. Cost per seat is a metric that the industry understands quite well.

·
Registered
902 Posts
60 seconds promo vid... How much weight was in the passenger compartment? I've been futzing around with lithium for 15 years.. Gonna take more than that to deskeptify me.

Show me a video crossing the English channel with a human inside.. or going 1 mile even.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Look how compact this rig is... this is the compactness and lightness of dino juice on display.

I think staying on the ground whenever possible is the way to go for efficient transport.. I'm all for electrification where it makes sense. Don't get me wrong.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Look how compact this rig is... this is the compactness and lightness of dino juice on display.

I think staying on the ground whenever possible is the way to go for efficient transport.. I'm all for electrification where it makes sense. Don't get me wrong.
Interesting... and yet a backpack full of kerosene gives only 10 min of flight. He had to refuel halfway across the channel. The first attempt he crashed into the channel while attempting the refuel. No video that I could find of the crash though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yeah well I don't mind being wrong, all I'm saying is show me more than a 60 second cut of a thing hovering above a helipad.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Yeah well I don't mind being wrong, all I'm saying is show me more than a 60 second cut of a thing hovering above a helipad.
Didn't intend to imply you were wrong; I'm agreeing that dino juice packs a tremendous amount of energy into a small package. In fact, gasoline has about 100x more energy per weight than a battery. Even so, to make something that compact results in 10 min of flight on kerosene. It wouldn't be possible with a battery.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nah that was directed at XJ12 telling me I'm old news.

Terra firma vehicles is one thing, fixed wing is 2nd thing, VTOL for urban commuting is whole other 3rd thing. I know you, redpoint, understand that energy consumption is the problem the world faces, regardless of if its EV's or ICE's. Its the same problem both ways. Why are we trying to form teams on this and divide up?

Urban congestion VTOL is just a pipe dream. Why would you do that? Its such a waste of energy. Even with ICE it makes no sense. Less so with electrons.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You SERIOUSLY want urban short take off urban air commuting in an efficient package, look to paramotors. Or ultralights, or light weight fixed wing. Thats how I know these sharp looking 60 second clips are just about investment dollars. Because nobody is talking about the real solutions.

·
Registered
902 Posts
BTW XJ that is super cool about the electric plane crossing the channel.. I had no idea somebody did that. Light weight fixed wing is real world usable stuff right there unlike the VTOL hype train.

And I hope I'm wrong about the EV VTOL stuff being just hype. But the physics don't seem to add up for me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Here you go.. pop on down to mcdaonlads for bite to eat. No long runway required. No wasting HUGE amounts of energy with VTOL hovering BS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a techno-pessimist but the term "AM/FM" from engineering classes comes to mind when I see stuff like this.

The Bolt is AM- an actual machine
These VTOL things are FM- f*cking magic

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Multirotors are much less efficient than helicopters, so I don't know why everything has to be a "quad" these days. The same technology that allows a quad to work can be used in a helicopter (gyros, GPS, etc). Even more efficient than a regular helicopter is a coaxial helicopter (2 counter-rotating blades) because the tail rotor wastes about 15% energy just preventing the helicopter from spinning uncontrollably.

Multi-rotors can only be made safe if they have 6 or more fans, because that's what it takes to remain in control if a single one fails. In a helicopter, the swash plate (variable blade pitch) allows it to "glide" if it loses power (autorotate).

The advantage of the helicopter is it's biggest liability too. The variable blade pitch means more complexity and maintenance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts