Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a cheap android 5+ device to run Android Auto through the USB and Wifi data.

What is a cheap android 5+ device (it just needs wifi) that I can get away with to run android auto.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Been there, done that: unfortunately it will be noticeably slow.
BTW you don't even need wi-fi, because AA connects only through a USB cable.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Audio to the car is via Bluetooth or the USB connection. Can't use WiFi to stream audio to the car's audio system.

If I'm understanding what you want to do is use the car's WiFi hot spot to get data to the Android phone, and then use the Android Auto via a USB cable to get Waze/Traffic, streaming audio services like Spotify/Pandora/etc. Yes?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I'm understanding what you want to do is use the car's WiFi hot spot to get data to the Android phone, and then use the Android Auto via a USB cable to get Waze/Traffic, streaming audio services like Spotify/Pandora/etc. Yes?
Yes..

I may lose the ability to use my personal cell phone through the head unit and steering wheel (not sure about using cell phone for calls and Android Auto devices being different) but overall I'd rather not plug in my phone each time.

So I'm looking for the most inexpensive android 5+ device that I can get away with.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Second hand or refurbished phones? Android phones these days are so expensive, I don't think there's anything under a few hundred.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How about GPS?

I know thos is not exactly the most up to date answer, but why not use an old fashioned GPS that can be plugged in? No data charges, no need for phones, and no paying of monthly fees. Most newer GPS units also have traffic alerts. Just a thought.0:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
He need WiFi to get a data connection to the phone so the aforementioned services works... But you will loose the Bluetooth phone call ability.

I think a used Nexus 5X or Moto G4 or as someone mentioned a new Moto E4.

Why not use you main phone directly, I might ask? If you are planning on spending a few bucks, maybe you can get a better one and sell the old one to cover the costs? I am personally VERY happy with my Oneplus 3T, lower cost than the Sammy flagship, better specs and a they works on all carriers. They now have the new Oneplus 5, with even more of everything, but the 3T can be found on eBay for around $400.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Eventually, it will be the cost of the data plan that will be the largest hurdle. The cheaper the phone, the more relative impact of the monthly fees. I thought of buying a cheap second phone and dedicating it to Android Auto:Google Maps. But the data-use costs duplicate my regular phone plan, and the sum of the two is prohibitive. I think in the near future, someone will figure out how to send Waze & Plugshare (or EVgo) data to the map on the screen (AND filter out those stations behind you and further along your route than you can "expectedly" reach). Until then, keep your iPad "online" via the OnStar WiFi Hotspot and find those charging stations.

·
Registered
121 Posts
First, Waze for Android Auto is still in beta testing. The one on Google Play does not show up inside AA. Google Maps for AA does display traffic congestion and gives a verbal heads up about traffic when you start your trip.

Second, I was going the same route as OP. Then I found the brand new Moto G5 Plus (Android 7) for under $225 that did everything I needed in a daily phone. The Plus stands for an awesome thumbprint reader that makes the phone super secure. Took just two days to train myself to plug/unplug the phone when entering/leaving the car.

And the phone positively recharges while in AA. After returning from a five mile hike (tracking my distance and listening to podcasts), the phone was 100% charged.

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)I think in the near future, someone will figure out how to send Waze & Plugshare (or EVgo) data to the map on the screen(...)
Waze on Android Auto already possible, it is in beta right now and it is coming to the release channel soon.
If you can't wait, you can register for the Waze Beta here: https://waze.centercode.com/key/9QW4M1GJ87GNNGMJ then add Android Auto as a test platform, after a few days you should be able to add the Waze Beta to your Google play account here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.waze, then there should be an automatic update to the AA enabled Waze through the Google play store directly.

I am running it without any major issues so far. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Eventually, it will be the cost of the data plan that will be the largest hurdle. The cheaper the phone, the more relative impact of the monthly fees. I thought of buying a cheap second phone and dedicating it to Android Auto:Google Maps. But the data-use costs duplicate my regular phone plan, and the sum of the two is prohibitive. I think in the near future, someone will figure out how to send Waze & Plugshare (or EVgo) data to the map on the screen (AND filter out those stations behind you and further along your route than you can "expectedly" reach). Until then, keep your iPad "online" via the OnStar WiFi Hotspot and find those charging stations.
Google maps already allows you to download map areas to your phone. You won't have up to the second traffic data but there is an offline mode that works quite well. https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

1 - 13 of 13 Posts