Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Really annoyed. Android Auto is completely broken. Won't even launch anymore! WTF, Google?馃が
I know it is a pain but perhaps uninstall/re-install. I really wish they'd fix up the small black bar at the bottom of the screen to give us full screen AA. Carplay is so much better with the interface...

Registered
Have you rebooted your phone and tried a different USB cable? When Android Auto goes flakey on my S7 (not Edge) it's usually a cable issue. Video over USB is pretty demanding and tends to separate the good cables from the bad.

Registered
Apple products always work. It's a side benefit of having a closed system.
This forum is littered with people having problems on both AA and Apple CP. Tiz the nature of the beast with supporting hundreds of different car manufacturers/models. And AA has to deal with hundreds of Android phone models on top of that. Always best to google your Android phone model and "android auto" to see if anyone else has had the same problem. Set the search to results from the "past week" or "past month".

Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm...haven't tried a different cable...will try that. Not sure of the AA ver I'm using. Whatever is the latest on the play store.

I probably should have remembered the old adage: If it ain't broke, don't fix it", because it was mostly working. It would launch and I could stream Pandora, but the GPS function would go whacky sometimes. I read about a new update and thought I'd see if it solved my GPS problem. Instead it completely broke it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Sean, you nailed it. I WAS my USB cable! The 6in cable I've been using is the thing that is foinked. Bummer, I liked the short cable. I suppose I could buy six and replace them when they flake out.....but at least I have nav and Pandora back! Thanks guys!

Registered
For what it's worth, I couldn't get AA to work on my Samsung Galaxy S10 or now my S20 for the last several months, but it just started working again. When I plugged in the phone it would ask me if I wanted to allow it access the data and when I said yes the head unit would just start playing a random audio file from my phone and never actually start AA. But yesterday I tried a new order of operations and shockingly it worked...I plugged in my phone,.ignored any prompts on my phone screen, went into the Apps on the Bolt head unit and tapped on "Projection". This immediately kicked my phone into Android Auto mode somehow and gave me a prompt on the phone to use AA, to which I said yes. Then it loaded on the head unit. After that, anytime I plug in the phone it immediately starts AA now.

Registered
I use Android Samsung S9, wife has iPhone 10. Both work flawlessly every time. Had many many problems with Android Auto in my previous vehicle, between software updates and a high quality USB cable (don't think all USB cable are the same) and it does work now consistently. For whatever that's worth. I spend month getting android auto to work reliably and the problem was traced to an intermittent USB cable.

Registered
Sean, you nailed it. I WAS my USB cable! The 6in cable I've been using is the thing that is foinked. Bummer, I liked the short cable. I suppose I could buy six and replace them when they flake out.....but at least I have nav and Pandora back! Thanks guys!
Yes , remember heat, cold, age all cause wear on micro USB cables. Plan on them failing at least 1x per Year.

Registered
Yes , remember heat, cold, age all cause wear on micro USB cables. Plan on them failing at least 1x per Year.
And sometimes the cable is actually OK, you just need to unplug and replug the end that goes into the car's USB socket. So whenever you have AA problems, you should try:
  • unplug and replug both ends of the cable - do this first because it's the fastest/easiest.
  • reboot the infotainment system (hold down the "Home" and "Next Track" buttons for 10 seconds) - next easiest to do.
  • reboot the phone - you have to pull over to do this and the next item
  • try a different cable

1 - 16 of 16 Posts