Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2019 BoltEV premium and while I am excited about the battery fix, the one thing that annoys me and has lately increased a lot is the connectivity via android auto (I have Samsung S21). It auto disengages with my phone and unless I unhook and connect again, it does not resolve. Very frustrating specially when using maps or listening to something via phone. Anyone else has such issues?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2019 BoltEV premium and while I am excited about the battery fix, the one thing that annoys me and has lately increased a lot is the connectivity via android auto (I have Samsung S21). It auto disengages with my phone and unless I unhook and connect again, it does not resolve. Very frustrating specially when using maps or listening to something via phone. Anyone else has such issues?
It is probably a problem with the cord. As the connection between the cord and your phone wears, sometimes it doesn't keep a perfect connection. Try getting a new (high quality) cord and see if that fixes it. I bought a good, braided cord from the ATT store. I overpaid for it, but in the 8 months since I haven't had a single connection problem with Android Auto.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Android auto hasn't worked for months. I bought many new highest quality cords.
It's Samsung and Google making your life dangerous. I have been leaving reviews on play.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
At their core, AA and CarPlay are nothing more than an interface between your phone and the car. 99% of problems people have with it are in the cord or the phone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Android auto hasn't worked for months. I bought many new highest quality cords.
It's Samsung and Google making your life dangerous. I have been leaving reviews on play.
How are Samsung and Google "making your life dangerous"? Just stay off your phone when driving.

Sounds like you have phone problems. I've been using Android Auto since 2016 and the only time I had problems was when I tried to use a long, cheap cable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted wireless Android Auto with my 2019 Premier but it never worked. I bought an adapter from Aawireles and it works great. I don't have to plug in unless I need to charge the phone.
Thank you. Would you have a link for the wireless adapter from aawireless?

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you happen to notice the sales ads on TV and radio that say Android Auto is a safety feature.
If it doesn't work it's not safe.
I'm glad your Android works.
My Windows phone and Ford always worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you happen to notice the sales ads on TV and radio that say Android Auto is a safety feature.
So now the lack of a fringe "safety" feature makes a vehicle unsafe? Good grief.
Android Auto is just an interface! If you have tried multiple cords, the next likely cause is your phone. Out of curiosity, will it connect, and not take voice commands, or will the car simply not find the phone, even when plugged in?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
This is black and white thinking. A feature can make a vehicle more safe. Not having the feature does not make the vehicle "unsafe."

For example, consider the sunshade in your car. It helps keep the sun out of your eyes, and makes it safer to drive. However, not having a sunshade in exactly the right spot to block the sun does not make the car unsafe to drive. We've all experienced driving a car where the sunshade doesn't quite block the sun. But I'm willing to bet that all of us still continue to drive.

With respect to Android Auto, I agree that it's a very useful feature that can improve safety, and I would be just as upset if it didn't work for me. However, I'm not sure I would jump to the conclusion that the car was the problem. I would suspect (in order) the cable, the phone port, the USB port, the Android Auto app on the phone (update), the phone operating system (reboot, then update and reboot), the phone hardware, the car software (reboot), the car hardware, and the car software (reflash).

The reason I would suspect the car's software and hardware last on the list is because automotive hardware and software are required to undergo rigorous reliability testing across a large range of operating conditions. Phone manufacturers, especially Android, not so much.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
If you have tried multiple cords, the next likely cause is your phone.
My standard Android Auto troubleshooting procedure, ordered by easy and likelihood to fix the problem:
  1. Unplug and replug the phone end of the cable (fixes 90% of problems)
  2. Unplug and replug the Bolt end of the cable (fixes maybe 2% of the problems)
  3. Reboot the infotainment system (10-sec press of "Home" + "Next" buttons) (fixes maybe 5% of problems)
  4. Reboot the phone (fixes maybe 2% of problems)
  5. Replace the cable (catches the rest of the problems).
This has never let me down.

·
Registered
587 Posts
At one time I used to pull over park and then use my phone. When I bought my original world war II walkie-talkie style phone I knew right then that it was dangerous to use while driving.
Many years has passed and I like to be able to use applications like waze and audio to listen to music and it should be seamless.
I consider navigation to be a safety issue.
I consider audio to be simply pleasure.
If you look on Google Play store under Android Auto you'll see all sorts of complaints so I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thank you. Would you have a link for the wireless adapter from aawireless?
Here is their link on GoFundMe. I believe they will be marketing their product on their own website soon, but don't have a link to that domain.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
...I like to be able to use applications like waze and audio to listen to music and it should be seamless.
One of the things I love about Android Auto is that I can do so much using voice commands without having to take my attention off the road. Navigate, play music, check the weather, send and receive texts. It's great.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
At one time I used to pull over park and then use my phone. When I bought my original world war II walkie-talkie style phone I knew right then that it was dangerous to use while driving.
Many years has passed and I like to be able to use applications like waze and audio to listen to music and it should be seamless.
If you look on Google Play store under Android Auto you'll see all sorts of complaints so I'm not the only one.
When you plug in your phone, what happens? Does it connect, but not recognize voice commands? Does it connect and disconnect intermittently? Does it not connect at all?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
297 Posts
The problem is almost surely with the phone going to sleep after a while. Mine does that, at the most inconvenient times. The remedy is to change sleep settings for the phone and the app in the phone, if possible. If it goes completely to sleep, so it disconnects entirely, the screen may revert to the Chevy screen, but I've also had the AA screen stay locked, unresponsive, until I unplug the phone.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
The problem is almost surely with the phone going to sleep after a while. Mine does that, at the most inconvenient times.
That's never happened to me, and I've been on some pretty long drives. Android Auto is one of those apps that is supposed to prevent the phone from sleeping, so if it really is going to sleep then I gotta wonder if maybe you didn't grant AA all the permissions it asked for when you installed it...?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
That's never happened to me, and I've been on some pretty long drives. Android Auto is one of those apps that is supposed to prevent the phone from sleeping, so if it really is going to sleep then I gotta wonder if maybe you didn't grant AA all the permissions it asked for when you installed it...?
Some phone manufacturers have very aggressive battery management algorithms that often conflict with the battery management built into the Android OS. I have a OnePlus 6T, and OnePlus is known for killing background processes pretty aggressively. The result is that trying to run an app on Android Auto will sometimes fail, because a process that is supposed to be always running has been killed by the OnePlus algorithms, and I have to manually start the app on the phone before trying to launch it in the Android Auto interface.

This isn't a Chevy Bolt problem, or an Android Auto problem, or even an Android OS problem. It's specifically a OnePlus problem, which I'm familiar with through my participation in forums like XDA-Developers.

That's one of the reasons why Android Auto problems can be difficult to diagnose. There are standards that are supposed to make things work, but sometimes Android phone manufacturers don't follow the standards. Unlike Apple CarPlay where there is only one hardware manufacturer and only one company's software running (Apple), Android is open to mulitple hardware manufacturers, and each manufacturer might modify their implementation of Android despite the standards. That's one of the reasons I would suspect something wrong with the phone's software before I suspect something wrong with the car's software.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts