Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yup. It looks like GM is finally getting in on the integrated route planning and map of charging locations plan.

I can see potential for the system, but so far, mine has been a bit too buggy to really test or even recommend.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yup. It looks like GM is finally getting in on the integrated route planning and map of charging locations plan.

I can see potential for the system, but so far, mine has been a bit too buggy to really test or even recommend.
Ug, still have to pay for onstar to use it though...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why would you need to pay OnStar to use this functionality? If you connect your phone to the car via CarPlay or such, I would think this function should work using the phone's data.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why would you need to pay OnStar to use this functionality? If you connect your phone to the car via CarPlay or such, I would think this function should work using the phone's data.
Fair question, it's my understanding that to use anything with the mychevy app it requires onstar even if it goes through your data, but I might be mistaken. Been meaning to check this out in my car, but keep forgetting to.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I tinker around with the app today. I don't have anything but the basic non paid plan. It works similar to his video (directly on the phone at least). A strange quirk is that the app tried to send me to level 2 chargers even though the trip destination has a 25kw charger at a Chevrolet dealer (AutoNation Chevrolet Amarillo TX).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess this is neat, but watching the UX in that video made me cringe. I can't imagine ever wanting to use this instead of, say, providing it as an overlay / hinting to Google Maps/Waze/... automatic routing/checkpointing. Heck, an ABRP integration that would plot a route based on current vehicle charge and drop into GMaps/Waze a set of waypoints consisting of chargers along your route would be far better.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Chris Farrar's YouTube video is over one year old. This myChevrolet app function has not proven to be very useful. This is not only because L-2 & L-3 EVSE are not displayed, but also because it ignores the "4 T's" of EV range determination: Temperature (outside), Technique (speed), Terrain (net elevation rise or fall), and Temperature (inside comfort setting). I don't even think that dotted line takes into account your most current mi/kWh. Yes, it knows your SoC (% battery available) but it shows only your "expected range" which we all know we can most often exceed. I have rarely even looked at this and I bet most others here have not either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts