Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my Bolt. It is an LT, with quick charger.

I had 2 worries upon buying this car.
1) the front seat - i may be receiving nerve damage to already wrecked legs but I bought a cushion to help.

and 2) no gps/charging station locator. The dealer assured me Android Auto enabled me to have everything my Nissan Leaf and my Kia Soul EV had.

300 miles later, one visit to the service department - still no Android Auto

when I went to the service department - they updated the software, but still no AA. They told me to come back when I had a day. Do I really need a day to sync AA?

My question is this: what should I do?

1) hope that the mechanics can figure it out? I have tried every web and youtube fix suggestion.
2) buy a Samsung S8 and hope it pairs easier?
3) buy a GPS and forget about AA

Thanks for your anticipated feedback,

VikeKen
:confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe it's something simple. Did you check to see if the Android Auto option in turned on in settings before you plugged the phone into the USB port?

I've purposely disabled my AA and CarPlay settings so that my Bolt doesn't try and pair with other people's devices when they use the ports for charging.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just purchased my Bolt. It is an LT, with quick charger.

I had 2 worries upon buying this car.
1) the front seat - i may be receiving nerve damage to already wrecked legs but I bought a cushion to help.

and 2) no gps/charging station locator. The dealer assured me Android Auto enabled me to have everything my Nissan Leaf and my Kia Soul EV had.

300 miles later, one visit to the service department - still no Android Auto

when I went to the service department - they updated the software, but still no AA. They told me to come back when I had a day. Do I really need a day to sync AA?

My question is this: what should I do?

1) hope that the mechanics can figure it out? I have tried every web and youtube fix suggestion.
2) buy a Samsung S8 and hope it pairs easier?
3) buy a GPS and forget about AA

Thanks for your anticipated feedback,

VikeKen
:confused:
Assuming that you tried all the obvious things, I would recommend borrowing some AA capable phones from folks you know, and trying them out with the car before taking the plunge on a new device. Maybe it's the phone, but maybe not. That being said, there are more than a few reports of AA being broken on the S7 Edge.

I have heard of charge-only USB cables. Make sure the one you're using can support data transfer.

It works fine for my Nexus 6p, running Nougat. It's a mixed blessing. I dislike not being able to access any of the non-AA applications, so I often stick the phone on my dash using a magnetic holder, and use the maps that way. If I know I'm not going to be playing Ingress while driving (I kid), I'll turn AA on, and use the big display.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"they updated the software, but still no AA. They told me to come back when I had a day. Do I really need a day to sync AA?"

From what I am reading, from OP, I am getting the sense that he and the service department thinks Android Auto is exclusively part of the car's system.

Android Auto is an app you download on your phone. Make sure to NOT have it automatically open and run ON your phone when your phone connects to your car's bluetooth. This function is for people who DO NOT have Android Auto compatible cars.

Next: The way Android Auto will run on your big ole screen is you have to connect it to a USB A to micro USB or USB C cable. The USB A connects to your car in the area behind the shifter. The micro USB/USB C end connects to your car. When your car is on and the cable is connecting your car to your phone, Android Auto will automatically turn on, and appear on the screen. Your phone will also completely be non functioning for everything else. This is to prevent you from driving and fiddling with your phone. All interaction with your phone will be through the user interface of the Android Auto on the car's screen.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all.

Apparently Chevy thinks an update to car software will do the trick.

it didn't.

i set my phone's developer options to MTP.
I turned off Automatic bluetooth hookup.
I purchased an original Samsung charge/data cord.

still it didn't work.

then one day, it started working after i did nothing new...

i wish i could tell you the key change.

Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have issues adjusting the volume for Android Auto? When I plug in my S8+, AA will load, but I cannot adjust the audio.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Something I learned today. I had been using a nexus 6p, with associated BT connection drop problems. I sent it back to Huawei, and started using my HTC One M8 (which is on Marshmallow, and not Nougat). It was acting flaky on AA startup. The phone thought AA was running, but nothing came on the screen in the Bolt. After some horsing around, I eventually figured out that if there is already another BT device connected, the AA device will not bump that device, at least not on Marshmallow. My iPod touch was hogging the connection. Once I disconnected the touch, AA started working as expected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts