1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
The car has a builtin wireless router you can enable in the system controls, only really helpful if you're using the LTE radio on the car, BUT when I bought my bolt, the dealer knew that android wireless was coming when I asked about it and he said the car should have everything you would need to use wireless AA, it has android auto and a wireless radio. So maybe in the future with an infotainment system firmware update?

I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hopeful we'll have that ability at some point without needing new hardware.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
...when I bought my bolt, the dealer knew that android wireless was coming when I asked about it and he said the car should have everything you would need to use wireless AA, it has android auto and a wireless radio.
Any correlation between what a dealer says to make a sale and reality is no more than coincidence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any correlation between what a dealer says to make a sale and reality is no more than coincidence.
I mean... What the dealer said was just a fact(in this case). The car has the basic hardware that supports Android auto and WiFi, it does have those things. That's not hyperbole.

The question is whether it will support wireless Android auto eventually. I'm doubtful, I don't see many car makers putting money into software updates to add features the car was never advertised to have when sold, I hope I'm wrong, but as I said, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I mean... What the dealer said was just a fact(in this case). The car has the basic hardware that supports Android auto and WiFi, it does have those things. That's not hyperbole.
It happens to be fact, but building on my previous comment, that could just be coincidence. My dealer tried to tell me that OnStar services could never be out of "cell range" because it uses satellites for communication, which is patently false.

The question is whether it will support wireless Android auto eventually. I'm doubtful, I don't see many car makers putting money into software updates to add features the car was never advertised to have when sold, I hope I'm wrong, but as I said, I'm not holding my breath.
Yes, I agree. I do not expect to ever see wireless Android Auto in my 2017 Bolt.

·
Registered
66 Posts

This article lists as wireless android auto capable some Google Pixel and recent model Samsung Galaxy phones. The car list however is just for regular android auto support, can't find a list of cars that are known to support "wireless" android auto.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Google has a page that supposedly lists AA cars capable of wireless, and it includes the Bolt. However, it is the same page that is linked to for compatibility using USB.
Yesterday I updated AA on my Pixel phone to the latest version that supposedly supports wireless and tried everything I could think of on my 2019 Bolt to get it to connect without the USB, but had no success.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From info on other sites, it appears currently only some new 3rd party aftermarket media receiver devices support android auto wireless. Support on new built-in on cars isn't coming until next year on some new models apparently, so best to hope for is the 2022 Bolt EV and EUV?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.