Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Android Auto with update

I got the car back after updating the entertainment system today. Some observations:

- I cannot find the bloody version number anywhere. When I look at software, the only relevant thing seems to be a Looooong page of Open Source credits, and neither of the update items show a version. I'm puzzled where to find version number.

- The newer software shows several new pop-up dialog boxes in various places, mostly related to AA.

- After the update, AA would not connect until I Add'ed a new Car to the list. I now have two Chevrolet cars showing as accepted. Weird.

- AA now shows full-width maps, but they still waste an incredible amount of screen space on a 3/4" tall black bar that holds five icons. The maps are now wide and quite short, a remarkably stupid design on Chevy's part - it could have shown lots more map if they put the icon-bar on the left edge, closer to the driver, instead of at the bottom.

- I tried Developer Settings in AA, where there are items to enable 720P and 1080P display modes, but neither works at all - either just gives a blank screen when AA launches.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
click software update and you'll be told that your software is up to date and the version number.
Very interesting - that is what it used to do.

When I clicked SW Update now, it first tried unsuccessfully to connect to wifi, but the third or fourth time I tried it, it actually appeared to check over the air, and told me that I'm up to date, on version 14.4.2. Perhaps they are finally delivering - so they can start pushing advertising into the car.

I'd suggest describing occasional blank entertainment screen on startup to the dealer, in order to get this update installed.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
...AA now shows full-width maps, but they still waste an incredible amount of screen space on a 3/4" tall black bar that holds five icons. The maps are now wide and quite short, a remarkably stupid design on Chevy's part - it could have shown lots more map if the put the icon-bar on the left edge, closer to the driver, instead of at the bottom...
I totally agree. When using maps, the vertical space is more valuable because it generally means you can see more of your route. And the area at the extreme left of the screen tends to be hidden a bit by the steering wheel from my driving position, so it would be a great place for static buttons.

·
Registered
121 Posts
People with short arms want the Waze app as close to the steering wheel as possible. Those with long arms are indifferent.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I got to play around with the post 14.4.2 update AA yesterday. Having the black margins filled in on the side is definitely a huge plus, but like some others have mentioned, not everything is perfect. The "zoomed in" maps don't really bother me, but when I was using any of the AA-enabled music apps, the play/pause/FF/RW bar literally takes up 1/4 to 1/3rd of the available display, which looks all kinds of goofy! The app makers will likely need to tweak their apps to properly support the Bolt's new AA display so that it doesn't look so goofy.

But anyone that uses AA should still definitely get this update. In addition to whatever bug fixes it takes cares of, the still-not-quite-perfect widescreen AA display is still better than what we had previously be a large margin.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ sounds good bro... I use AA/Waze all the time.
But, I'm not willing to spend 2+ hrs at the dealership waiting for them to apply a 2 min software update.
It's either going to have to wait till I bring the Bolt in for something significant... or get it via OTA as was originally envisioned by the Bolt design team.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am surprised this isn't available on the internet. When I had my jeep you could get the updated software for that infotainment system right off the internet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Was there a TSB or something for the software update?

·
Registered
979 Posts
All of the discussion about Android Auto's software version is making me queasy. ;)

Is there anything wrong or out-of-date with Apple Carplay w/ version 14.1.0 ?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
All of the discussion about Android Auto's software version is making me queasy.

Is there anything wrong or out-of-date with Apple Carplay w/ version 14.1.0 ?
For Carplay users, there may be some random bug fixes in the update.
Like I can now activate the camera button even in Park. Before it was greyed out.

·
Registered
979 Posts
For Carplay users, there may be some random bug fixes in the update. Like I can now activate the camera button even in Park. Before it was greyed out.
Yes with 14.1.0 with vehicle in park my Carplay has the Camera icon dulled out and when you push it you get a popup something like 'feature not available in park'.

Will be a nice-to-have update to be able to get camera (both front and back?) while in park.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does Android Auto allow you to run Waze on the Bolt's screen?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes, you need to press the map button again to bring the pop-up to select the default navigation app.
Nice thing is- the Bolt remembers which nav app you used last and saves that as the default going forward. Next time you hit the nav icon in AA and your preferred nav app launches.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My AA-Waze works beautifully when I am leaving home. Gets really wobbly when I'm heading back home or whenever I get near traffic jams. Behaves as if it suffers from Fear of Traveling.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I briefly tried Android Auto and love that you can use Waze with it.

Apple's CarPlay looks nicer and a bit more intuitive.

Probably going to stick with my iPhone and CarPlay in combination with my iPad Mini 4 running Waze. Bigger screen and more fluid interface a big plus with my iPad Mini running Waze.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Bolt that was delivered in September. When I check the software version, it says it is 14.1.0 and claims that it up-to-date. Apparently, this isn't true. Wonder where it is checking. I am setting up an appointment with the dealer to have the new version installed. I don't really trust them because I think this is the only Bolt that they have ever sold and I had to order it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts