Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A $4K wall-mount inverter that charges thru the DC port, and also works like a 4-battery 60kWH Tesla Powerwall for backup or grid demand-leveling.
I'll be their first customer when they release a CCS version for our cars.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wonder if existing Bolts will be compatible with this, or if there is a later revision of CCS to which the Bolt is not yet compatible.

Edit / Update:
This unit is designed for use with CHAdeMO, not CCS. I knew that CHAdeMO was compatible with V2X, but I thought they announced something for CCS, since this was posted in the Bolt forum. This is not compatible with the Bolt, nor will this version ever be.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yep, still waiting on CCS. Can't wait for it to come out!

When I evaluated solar, I was going to lose money, so that was a no go.
When I evaluated EV, I would save $1K in gas a year and have a giant 60 KWh battery pack I can use if power goes out. Normal use at home in Spring/Fall/Winter, that can last me a week! The only thing missing was the V2H/V2G device...

Reactions: GetOffYourGas

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
... though what would be really cool would be having 2 packs... one that is loaded into your garage floor and another one that is loaded into your car. When you home, the batteries get switched and the one on the floor start charging, and your car gets a topped up battery. Would be a very expensive set up, though:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They stated that CCS was in development.
You are correct that CHADEMO is not the same as CCS and this is not the version that supports CCS. And your point is?

·
Registered
751 Posts
My points are:

I missed where it was stated that CCS is in development. Thank you for pointing that out.

Also, I believe that it is a new revision of the CCS standard itself. Current Bolts (2017-2020) cannot be gauranteed compatible with said standard, since it is not yet finalized. So your statement "I'll be their first customer when they release a CCS version for our cars" is purely wishful thinking. They will never release a CCS version for our cars. Only for cars that will be built in the future.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Also, I believe that it is a new revision of the CCS standard itself. Current Bolts (2017-2020) cannot be gauranteed compatible with said standard, since it is not yet finalized. So your statement "I'll be their first customer when they release a CCS version for our cars" is purely wishful thinking. They will never release a CCS version for our cars. Only for cars that will be built in the future.
That would be a shame. The idea is awesome (think how much less than a Tesla PowerWall + installation this would be). I guess as always, we won't know the details until it actually ships, but they seem to be rather short on specifics so far (unfortunately).

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"… V2G will be trialed in select markets, and won't be available broadly for probably at least 20 years."
And you can see the future, ignore the rate of progress, and prognosticate that, how, exactly?
BTW, this isn't just V2G tech, it is also a great competitor for the wildly costly Tesla Powerwall (which doesn't do V2G), with four times the capacity at around a third of the cost. Personally I couldn't care less about V2G, I just want backup for the frequent lengthy outages here in PDX, and this is far less costly than a generator.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I noticed on the data sheet it weighs in at around 600 pounds. I'm obviously hoping for future versions that work with our Bolts+ weigh significantly less and cost less.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
V2G will be trialed in select markets, and won't be available broadly for probably at least 20 years.
The logical place would be in the SW USA, esp California. Allowing cars to store then feed back power to the grid will save the utility from getting grid batteries. Use the money for more solar panels instead... much more leverage out of limit resources. The EV battery, depending on how much people use it, will outlast the car... might as well give it a second job - up to the owner how much they want to stress their batteyr.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is a great idea! Sure would be useful when Pacific Graft and Extortion shut power off. Too bad our cars don't support V2G/H.

BTW, generators aren't that expensive. I got mine for less than $400.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I won't live long enough to see CCS cars with this capability. This makes a used Leaf a much more attractive proposal. For the price of a Model 3 you could buy a used 150 mile Leaf, this two way 7.4 kW inverter, and an 8 kW PV system.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Somebody on their Facebook page mentioned the Tesla-to-CHAdeMO adapter. This means that in addition to the hundreds of thousands of Leafs, this should work with Teslas....unless Elon decides to prevent it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I won't live long enough to see CCS cars with this capability. This makes a used Leaf a much more attractive proposal. For the price of a Model 3 you could buy a used 150 mile Leaf, this two way 7.4 kW inverter, and an 8 kW PV system.
Is there something technical preventing CCS from allowing this?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This was discussed a few years ago. There may be some tidbits in here.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Jack Rickard, of EVTV, some time ago showed the insides of a Tesla Model 3 onboard charger. He noted that there was nothing preventing Tesla from making this thing bi-directional. The Quasar unit is 48 pounds, and the same physical size of the onboard charger in the Bolt. I am sure GM could get a much better price than you or I, if they bought 10K of them...with liquid cooling, rather than a fan. Instead of a $750 DC option, they could have a $1500 bi-directional DC option replacing the unidirectional unit in there now. They could put a 240 volt, 30 amp receptacle in the cargo area, and have a big sticker saying "This receptacle is for running power tools only." That should give them legal cover for those irresponsible enough to use it to power their house in an emergency. :rolleyes:

Or even better boiler plate for them would be two 120 volt, 30 amp outlets on different legs. That would mean you could make a 240 volt adapter, and be totally responsible for your reckless actions.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts