Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
What would you consider "worth it" for running water/internet/food during a pandemic?

The onboard charger in The Tesla Model 3/Y, and the Bolt, are good for 7 kW of power. Here in central Virginia we get a few power outages each year. Not a problem in the winter, as we have LPG heat. During the heat of summer, it could cost us some frozen food. During the pandemic, replacing that frozen food may not be possible, or safe. That is why I am thinking of getting one of these for a grand.

I'd much rather I could pull silent, clean power from our car.

We have used 11 kWh in the last 24 hours.
I have inverter that can cover our basic need, not luxuries like AC, during black out. It costs $200. Between the day time back up feature of our solar panel and 2 EVs, we will be fine. That's worth it. Spending more to be green is fake green in my book.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm debating putting in solar this year for the 26% tax credit. Looking into getting the dcbel from Ossiaco. Since you already need an inverter for solar, this combines that need with a DCFC for V2H. About $7K for the unit with a J1772 and a CCS connector. May have to hack the Bolt to actually provide power thru the CCS. Started socializing the need with my wife. I'm on thin ice with just putting in a ground source heat pump last year. Now that I'm almost all electric, the solar is the way to go in my mind. Get solar and have my own DCFC. Win win.
I actually registered on their waiting list. But I don't think I will go for it. $7k for black outs that only happens a few times in 5 years is not making sense.

-TL

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I actually registered on their waiting list. But I don't think I will go for it. $7k for black outs that only happens a few times in 5 years is not making sense.
Maybe my survivalist side showing through. Seeing my wife fill the bathtub up with water during a storm because we're on a well has motivated me to do something long term. Had considered an LP powered generator, but now that I have the electric car, I'm considering it as a backup. And one never knows when the zombie apocalypse is going to happen. Could be soon if the COVID-19 vaccine backfires. I'm kidding of course. Haven't looked if I can take the tax credit on the unit since I'd be bundling it with a solar install.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have inverter that can cover our basic need, not luxuries like AC, during black out. It costs $200. Between the day time back up feature of our solar panel and 2 EVs, we will be fine. That's worth it. Spending more to be green is fake green in my book.

-TL

You reply to his concern about spoiled food with a dismissive statement about "luxuries like AC". I guess the question that comes to my mind is whether your $200 inverter could run his fridge and freezers for an extended period of time. Frankly, inexpensive inverters may have a problem with such loads, since they have huge startup current. I'm curious, have you tried your setup, or do you have it "just in case"?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fair enough. Our fridge, a big Samsung double door, runs on about 250w. At start of the compressor it needs about 1kw for a second or two. My inverter does 3kw instant and 2kw sustained. I believe the car can do 1.5kw sustained. It cost $150. $50 for jumper cable for temporary connection to the car's 12V battery. We tested it and it worked. This is not new. Similar solutions have been talked about on this forum like you won't believe. They are undoubtedly temporary arrangements. Good enough for days. With solar system with day time back up capability, it can be extended to weeks or months if needed. Most black outs here last for a few hours. The worst in memory last for 2 days.

Now the product being discussed can back up the whole house like a full-size generator or a power wall style battery bank. With solar you may even go off grid. I don't know how many extra freezers or meat lockers you have to run. I don't have those. It surely provides added convenience, such as DCFC. I don't need those unless they are free. Don't laugh. Our beloved government may decide again to raid everyone's pocket book a few cents each to give out subsidies.

BTW, there were discussions on this forum regarding back up battery banks. The justification for a member who has it was: it is nice to keep the AC running during black out.

-TL

·
Registered
19 Posts
this is just the start of V2G. Span.io is another product that is coming which seems to be more flexible.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Looking into getting the dcbel from Ossiaco.
I made a reservation for the dcbel. They sent me an email with this:
installations will begin this Fall starting in the Sam Francisco Bay area and expand over the course of the Winter. We will soon be inviting our Northern California customers to be part of our Energy Ambassadors program... stay tuned for details.
edit: I'd been more excited if it read, "our customers in Southern New Mexico..."

41 - 50 of 50 Posts