Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took delivery of the Bolt on January 16, 2018. Our only aim was to get one with the DC fast charging option.

Driving:
Zippy, assertive acceleration, and quiet. Not a fan of the digital interface's layout though.

Accident
The only exciting incident was when I became distracted, ran the front driver side tire / rim into the curb and subsequently gouged a 3 x 1 inch hole in the sidewall of the tire. Not my best moment.

When I called our original dealership about getting towed and a delivery tire the service department came across as gruff and unhelpful. The representative hemmed and hawed about even taking the car in. He said getting a tire would take 3-5 days because "all the parts are back east".

Fortunately, another dealership in the area took a very different attitude and approach. In only a few minutes he was able to secure a tire for delivery by the next morning. When I picked up the car he mentioned that I was not the first person to pop these self-sealing tires on a curb.

Charging in Seattle
Other than this misadventure we are LOVING the car. Seattle currently has one free DC fast charger--which has become a regular pitstop. Unfortunately, we've heard rumors that the "free charging" is a promotion that will end in a couple of weeks. Fortunately, we've also found 3 purposely free level 2 charging spots (two at churches). We've yet to charge it up at home, but we will be getting a level 2 clipper creek installed in a couple of weeks.

Padre J

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Man, this reminds me I want to have a spare tire + wheel ... no such thing as dedicated Bolt donut, but I understand 2016 and better Volts's donut will work for the Bolt.

If you are pursuing the same thought, please let me/us know hwat you found out.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing about your tire. Many of us are not sure what we should do without a spare. Only preventative measure that I've taken is to throw a cheap harbor freight 12V compressor in the foam storage unit. Wouldn't have helped in your scenario. I ran my right rear over one curb by turning too sharply but nothing happened. My wife's Honda Accord turns on the camera when signaling a turn. Too bad the Bolt doesn't do that.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm seeing more and more Bolts on my everyday commute now. I think I can see at minimum one every week and usually not the same one.

Congrats on the purchase but you failed to divulge what color you got...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Man, this reminds me I want to have a spare tire + wheel ... no such thing as dedicated Bolt donut, but I understand 2016 and better Volts's donut will work for the Bolt.
You can put a full sized tire mounted on an OEM wheel into the lower cargo compartment (NOT the bottommost "well") and fit the false floor panel above it. There's plenty of room around the tire in the lower compartment to carry a jack, wrench, and other stuff like a portable EVSE as well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You can put a full sized tire mounted on an OEM wheel into the lower cargo compartment (NOT the bottommost "well") and fit the false floor panel above it. There's plenty of room around the tire in the lower compartment to carry a jack, wrench, and other stuff like a portable EVSE as well.
It's quite amazing how much stuff can fit into Bolt's rear, once the Styrofoam UVO (Useful Volume Obliterator) is removed.

However, my real concern is not where to put the spare. Just looking for someone in the Bolt community who has already tried a Volt's donut and found it suitable.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's quite amazing how much stuff can fit into Bolt's rear, once the Styrofoam UVO (Useful Volume Obliterator) is removed.

However, my real concern is not where to put the spare. Just looking for someone in the Bolt community who has already tried a Volt's donut and found it suitable.
I got tired of searching for a cheap OEM wheel from either the Cruze or Gen 2 Volt on ebay and just spent the $180 getting a 16x6.5 wheel from Discount Tire with the cheapest 205R60/16 tire they had (25.7" diameter vs 25.5" OEM diameter on 17" wheels).

It actually fits just fine. With my tire cover, though, it slightly pushes up on the false cargo floor but not by much. If anything, it's more flat with the lower lip of the rear hatch now.

I think the main thing is you need to get a true 6.5" width wheel so any 17" or 16" tire's cross section will be less than the 8.5" height of the false cargo floor.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
It actually fits just fine. With my tire cover, though, it slightly pushes up on the false cargo floor but not by much. If anything, it's more flat with the lower lip of the rear hatch now.

I think the main thing is you need to get a true 6.5" width wheel so any 17" or 16" tire's cross section will be less than the 8.5" height of the false cargo floor.
I can attest that an OEM tire on an OEM wheel fits beneath the false cargo floor with a tiny bit of room to spare.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Which is the free fast charger that you're talking about? The only one I know of is at the Burien Chevrolet, but that's not exactly Seattle :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Which is the free fast charger that you're talking about? The only one I know of is at the Burien Chevrolet, but that's not exactly Seattle :)
Yeah, that one is not easy to access. You have to run a cable out a door which just screams trip hazard to me.

Only real free DCFC is the BMW Northwest one near Tacoma. It's easy to access with parking spaces, is free for the first 30 minutes using your charge card account, and the dealer is happy to let you use it during their business hours. Con is it's fenced in after business hours and is often used. I just use the Chargepoint app to notify me when the charger is open then head for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts