Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All's quiet on the Tesla front...so someone went and rendered the Model 3.

Suicide doors, rear buckets and an odd BMW X6ish shape...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't see them doing suicide doors on the Model 3, or bucket back seats for that matter. Isn't this supposed to be their more affordable car? It just seems to me that both of those features would be unnecessary price increases.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't see them doing suicide doors on the Model 3, or bucket back seats for that matter. Isn't this supposed to be their more affordable car? It just seems to me that both of those features would be unnecessary price increases.
why would doors that swing open the other way likely with a similar hinge system cost more?

it's more of a functionality thing

·
Registered
79 Posts
why would doors that swing open the other way likely with a similar hinge system cost more?

it's more of a functionality thing
- Missing B-pillar is VERY expensive to engineer. Manufacturing AND maintaining a strong core safety cell without that B-pillar is EXPENSIVE.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
- Missing B-pillar is VERY expensive to engineer. Manufacturing AND maintaining a strong core safety cell without that B-pillar is EXPENSIVE.
you can still do suicide doors with a B pillar however. Its just the illustration thats missing it...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just don't see the point. It seems like a gimmick that is unneeded and won't actually increase sales or function at all.

·
Registered
639 Posts
good to know.

if they do suicide, adding a b-pillar would be pointless, no b-pillar helps with easier loading/unloading.

keeping it simple and sticking to regular doors it what they'll probably end up doing anyways.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suicide doors aren't for ease of getting plywood into the backseat though... They're a more luxurious feature that makes ingress and egress easier.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just don't see the point. It seems like a gimmick that is unneeded and won't actually increase sales or function at all.
The whole auto industry is a gimmick. They all make engines that burn liquids to propel themselves along 4 wheels with a steering wheel to allow for independent changes of direction. Everything else is essentially a gimmick. Leather seats over cloth...gimmick, tinted windows...gimmick, rims...gimmick.

But the best part is...we all complain everything is the same, when someone thinks about potentially doing something different we call it a gimmick LOL

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking of the Model 3. Do we think there is potential for Cadillac to have their way with the Bolt as well? We know GM gave them the Volt later in its design cycle....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh this is interesting, all the investors want to know now are where the profits are. Tesla is now entering a phase where everything they say will not only be scrutinesed but they will be held accountable for their words like never before. Elon is the great pontificator, he makes grandiose promises and before anyone can ask him what happened he makes another promise and we forget about the last 3...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-04/as-tesla-gears-up-for-suv-investors-ask-where-the-profits-are

·
Registered
639 Posts
What he had to say to that:

“We’ve certainly chosen high growth over profitability,” he told reporters in September in Tokyo. “If the shareholders don’t like me, they can just fire me.”
Considering the long haul, they might not be able to turn a profit quickly but i'lll be looking out for how he recovers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Speaking of the Model 3. Do we think there is potential for Cadillac to have their way with the Bolt as well? We know GM gave them the Volt later in its design cycle....

That's an interesting question, but the sales failure of the Cadillac ELR makes such a project unlikely.

And can you fathom a Cadillac hatchback? I have a hard time envisioning such a product.

Infiniti is coming out with a Q30 hatchback, that will look somewhat like the Bolt, but luxury automakers in the US usually don't sell hatchbacks.

It's too bad, because hatchbacks are my favorite type of vehicle. Utility, low running costs, and easy to drive and park.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's an interesting question, but the sales failure of the Cadillac ELR makes such a project unlikely.

And can you fathom a Cadillac hatchback? I have a hard time envisioning such a product.

Infiniti is coming out with a Q30 hatchback, that will look somewhat like the Bolt, but luxury automakers in the US usually don't sell hatchbacks.

It's too bad, because hatchbacks are my favorite type of vehicle. Utility, low running costs, and easy to drive and park.
Fair point on the ELR, but that seems a victim of poor execution more then anything. The Bolt as a Caddy wouldn't HAVE to be a hatch. The volt was a sedan and they made ELR a coupe. Its just the running gear they would be interested in... a smart little coupe, an actually good one might be ridiculously popular with retiring boomers in the Cali hills...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Apparently ELR's have been sold in ridiculous low numbers, too bad they won't (or just yet) do anything to the effect of the i8... how cool would that be :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts