Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a drenched Temecula Valley; hello! I must say this forum helped me tremendously in my research/paradigm shift from ICE to EV. I want to thank all of you. Got a good deal too; according to True Car! I should be dancing, oh wait . . . it's already raining buckets. We ain't used to this stuff ya' know.:nerd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I agree that this forum helped convince me the Bolt was the right choice. I've had mine for about 6 months and I drive to OC from Elsinore for about 85 miles round trip. Way cheaper to drive than the Civic it replaced and a lot more fun. Get an EV account for the 91 Express Lanes and you can drive it for free! My wife always wants to borrow it since it has more power than her small SUV. I just saw another one with paper plates a few blocks away so they are starting to pop up all around the IE. See ya!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I go real early all the way South; across that dang S.D. bridge. 146 mile round trip. I'm wondering how this is gonna work when it's 102 outside and I'm passing Escondido headed North; staring at multiple climbs. I suppose I'll just slow down and see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually bought my LT in Escondido since they had 40+ Bolts in stock and their listed price was better than my local dealers. (Apparently they are very popular with I-15 commuters heading south. Maybe there's an EV for free option on your route?) But it turned out to be an ordeal and I wouldn't recommend them. I bought it in Sept and going home over the hills at 80mph with AC on high taught me a quick lesson about EV driving efficiency. I see at least 180 miles range in warmer months, even if charging only to 80%. I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I go real early all the way South; across that dang S.D. bridge. 146 mile round trip. I'm wondering how this is gonna work when it's 102 outside and I'm passing Escondido headed North; staring at multiple climbs. I suppose I'll just slow down and see what happens.
The heat doesn't have too much of an effect on the efficiency, but I would recommend getting a tint where you are.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually bought my LT in Escondido since they had 40+ Bolts in stock and their listed price was better than my local dealers. (Apparently they are very popular with I-15 commuters heading south. Maybe there's an EV for free option on your route?) But it turned out to be an ordeal and I wouldn't recommend them. I bought it in Sept and going home over the hills at 80mph with AC on high taught me a quick lesson about EV driving efficiency. I see at least 180 miles range in warmer months, even if charging only to 80%. I think you will be fine.
I also bought at Quality in Escondido. They beat the local dealer by a lot. Only about 12 models on site. But they had the Silver Ice Premier I was looking for. It was fair, and like I said . . . below the True Car avg. I did threaten to walk after the teflon protection feature came up. I don't play those games. However, I would recommend them.

The heat doesn't have too much of an effect on the efficiency, but I would recommend getting a tint where you are.
Yep! Got a tint appointment next week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for NewsCoulomb -- I owe you a special shout-out. It was your video of "IE to Vegas" that eventually led me to purchasing a Bolt. My research to that point was not enthusiastic. People were describing 'range anxiety' and drafting off of tractor-trailers in the slow lane just to not get stuck on the side of the road.

But it was your video that showed me the possibilities. I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to planning -- everything! It drives my kids crazy. You can take the man out of the military, but you can't take the military out of the man. So . . . I wear it like a badge.

I want to thank you for the adventure upon which I now find myself.

Question: Do you always drive in SPORT?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
for NewsCoulomb -- I owe you a special shout-out. It was your video of "IE to Vegas" that eventually led me to purchasing a Bolt. My research to that point was not enthusiastic. People were describing 'range anxiety' and drafting off of tractor-trailers in the slow lane just to not get stuck on the side of the road.

But it was your video that showed me the possibilities. I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to planning -- everything! It drives my kids crazy. You can take the man out of the military, but you can't take the military out of the man. So . . . I wear it like a badge.

I want to thank you for the adventure upon which I now find myself.

Hey, thanks! And thank you for your service!

Yes, I keep seeing a number of people who over-sell the need for conservative freeway driving, but it's just not necessary with proper planning and understanding. I'd still like to see some chargers go in at Barstow and Primm, but with EVgo Baker, the Bolt EV is fine on that route even if you like to drive 80-85 mph.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Welcome to the forum and it's all good we could offer the necessary encouragement.

FWIW, my wife and her relatives definitely consider me an enthusiastic driver, but FWIW, I don't find any benefit in Sport mode. For me, the precise modulation of the standard setting is preferable. The Bolt is no quicker in Sport, but the more aggressive tip in makes it definitely more likely to spin the wheels on marginal traction situations.

Now L mode, all the time, other than the slipperiest of black ice. that's a definitive yes.

jack vines

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

Nah. It only remaps the "Go Pedal" to get to the same place on a different curve. If you put your foot in it to convince the driver to the side of you that they're not going to freeway-merge in front of you at the end of the on-ramp, sport mode doesn't make much difference. A quick pedal to the floor is essentially the same either way.

I just love the sound of an ICE quickly throttling down from a fast (or so they thought) start, when they realize "$hit, that ain't going to happen!", and adopt an attitude of "I wasn't even trying to get in front of you", in order to save face. There are several two-lane lights and ramps near me that quickly merge to a single lane. Fun times, since 1997! >:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GregBrew brother -- go get some help . . . soon! A man shouldn't have to live that way!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I realized that I didn't answer your question about SPORT. Yes, I always drive in it. As others have stated, it doesn't change the performance of the vehicle, but I do prefer the pedal sensitivity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts