Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone,

After owning a 2017 Volt Premier for the last 14 months, I traded it in and bought a 2017 Bolt EV Premier. I picked up the Bolt today! It had 5 km (3 mi) on it! :D

I loved my now departed Volt, but I love my Bolt equally, if not more.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Congratulations! With all these new Bolts on the road in BC I'm expecting to see more than just the two I've spotted in the past year.

After picking up my Kinetic Blue Bolt Premiere two weeks ago, I've been gradually making longer forays to stretch its legs. Today I ventured from my home in Vancouver out to Hope and back, with a 45-minute lunch stop in Chilliwack to top up (I left home with only a hilltop reserve charge). Despite traveling on the freeway at the speed limit + 5km/h outbound to Hope (that's 115 km/h, or 71MPH in the stretch past Abbotsford) and using the heater to keep warm, I still used only 57.3 kWh of energy - so in theory I should have been able to do it on a single full charge. That's great, because one of my criteria was that I wanted to be able to drive pretty much anywhere in the Lower Mainland and back without having to recharge.

How about you? Do you see any Bolt trips in your future?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Sean! Nice to (virtually) meet you.

I'm planning on going to Seattle in two weeks: 194 kms one-way. I'm planning on charging up at Seattle Premium Outlets in Tulalip, at least there and probably back. If anyone else has done this trip, I'd be happy to hear about your experiences charging up on the way.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I'm planning on going to Seattle in two weeks: 194 kms one-way. I'm planning on charging up at Seattle Premium Outlets in Tulalip, at least there and probably back. If anyone else has done this trip, I'd be happy to hear about your experiences charging up on the way.
Ha, great minds think alike! I'm going to get a trailer hitch installed at Torklift in Kent, just south of Seattle, and the Seattle Premium Outlets is one of my prime charging candidates. I've already scoped those and other fast chargers out on a previous trip down south before I bought my Bolt.

But before I order the hitch I want to drive down to Marysville and do a test charge at the Premium Outlets charger to make sure my EVgo account and RFID card are working properly. I'll probably do that later this week or next week - I'll report back on my experience.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Sean. Ha! Yeah, great minds think alike.

I don't have an EVgo account, but I've read that you can phone their 1-800 number at the stall. Is it worthwhile getting an EVgo account? I don't go down to the States more than a couple of times per year.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You Canucks have it made. I'm planning on heading North in the near future and the first stop I'll make after Liberty Arch is Powertech Labs (BC Hydro's) free DCFC in Surrey.

Plenty of free L2 up and down I5 but if you're gunning for the only free DCFC at BMW Northwest, I can warn you it's fairly busy whenever I go there so I just gave up getting 30 min of 24kW charging for free.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I don't have an EVgo account, but I've read that you can phone their 1-800 number at the stall. Is it worthwhile getting an EVgo account? I don't go down to the States more than a couple of times per year.
I go down there a bit more often than that, but on my previous surveys of fast chargers along the I-5 corridor they all seem to be EVgo and given that I'd be pretty dependent on them to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time I figured it would be worth getting the card just in case. I've read about situations where chargers in remote locations or in parking structures sometimes don't get cell phone coverage, and an RFID card would come in awfully handy in those circumstances.

Unfortunately, it was harder for me to sign up for EVgo than for any of the other charging networks because their web site doesn't recognize Canadian addresses, their 1-800 support number doesn't work from Canada, and I couldn't find a number published anywhere that I could reach them from. So I ended up having to e-mail them. Once I got hold of them they were very good about helping out, and their card arrived in my mailbox before any of the other network's cards did - but it was a bit of a trial to go through.

And in case you haven't seen this, be aware the people are saying that most of the EVgo chargers only charge for 30 minutes - after that you have to go back to the charger and restart it. What's doubly frustrating about this is that for intermittent users like us there's a US$4.95 connection charge for each charging session (in addition to the per-kWh charge), so you end up having to pay a lot more for two 30-minute sessions than you would if you could charge in one 60-minute session.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
You Canucks have it made. I'm planning on heading North in the near future and the first stop I'll make after Liberty Arch is Powertech Labs (BC Hydro's) free DCFC in Surrey.
That's one of the few fast chargers around here that I haven't actually gone to take a look at. I believe I've read somewhere that it's behind a gate that gets locked after business hours, so caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That's one of the few fast chargers around here that I haven't actually gone to take a look at. I believe I've read somewhere that it's behind a gate that gets locked after business hours, so caveat emptor.
I plan on making it a day trip so the business hours won't bother me. FYI, that BMW Northwest dealership has the same limitation: a gate blocks access to the free Chargepoint DCFC outside dealership hours.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Congratulations! With all these new Bolts on the road in BC I'm expecting to see more than just the two I've spotted in the past year.

After picking up my Kinetic Blue Bolt Premiere two weeks ago, I've been gradually making longer forays to stretch its legs. Today I ventured from my home in Vancouver out to Hope and back, with a 45-minute lunch stop in Chilliwack to top up (I left home with only a hilltop reserve charge). Despite traveling on the freeway at the speed limit + 5km/h outbound to Hope (that's 115 km/h, or 71MPH in the stretch past Abbotsford) and using the heater to keep warm, I still used only 57.3 kWh of energy - so in theory I should have been able to do it on a single full charge. That's great, because one of my criteria was that I wanted to be able to drive pretty much anywhere in the Lower Mainland and back without having to recharge.

How about you? Do you see any Bolt trips in your future?
Hey Sean, yeah Bolts in BC are still a rare sight, though I have spotted a few. I've come across what I believe are two other kintic blue cars, a light blue one (arctic something?), black, a couple white cars, and a burst orange. These are all in the wild. I've also seen the red on the Preston lot in Langley and at a dealer in Palm Desert CA. Only color I haven't spotted yet is silver ?

I've done a couple road trips in mine, I drove Abbotsford to Victoria and back, Abbotsford to Bowen island and back. Those were in single charge with additional driving mixed in. The longest trip I've done in the Bolt is Abbotsford to Manning Park Resort and back. In that one I tried it the DCFC at the Resort, though as it turns out I used 50 something kw so I could have done the round trip without the charge. It was fun watching the energy consumption meter roll backward on the way down from Manning, would be the equivalent of watching a gas gauge fill up while driving! I did something like 40km with zero net energy usage!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
...I want to drive down to Marysville and do a test charge at the Premium Outlets charger to make sure my EVgo account and RFID card are working properly. ... I'll report back on my experience.
I drove down to Marysville this past Friday. I left Vancouver with a full charge and traveled via I-5 at the speed limit (generally 100 to 112 km/h) with climate control set to 23C at an outside temperature of around 9C. I arrived at Seattle Premium Outlets after driving a bit less than 170km and had used 34.1 kWh of juice.

The chargers are in the parking structure at the rear of the mall. There was a Leaf at the sole DC Fast charger but not plugged in - the couple where were having problems getting their RFID card to work. The charger is well situated in an cluster of several stalls marked "EV Charging only", so that multiple cars can access it and the four other Level 2 chargers that are there.

The Leaf folk moved over to one of the Level 2 chargers while I tried my RFID card on the DC Fast Charger. The charger said "Card Blocked", so I called the EVgo customer support number (I used the Bolt's phone since I didn't want to sustain roaming charges on my smart phone). When I told them what the message was and that this was the first time I was trying to use the card, they activated the card for me. The only problem I had on the call was that they wanted my e-mail address to confirm my identity and I couldn't remember which one I had used for the EVgo account.

After EVgo activated the card, the charger started up normally. I left the car charging at an initial rate of 39.6kW while roaming the mall a bit (it's a rather small mall that's almost exclusively clothing stores). The charger shut off after 31 minutes as expected, increasing my charge level from about 45% full to about 75% full and adding about 86km of reported range.

So all in all, a successful experience and I'm glad I got the card activation thing sorted out before I set out on a longer trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drove down to Marysville this past Friday. I left Vancouver with a full charge and traveled via I-5 at the speed limit (generally 100 to 112 km/h) with climate control set to 23C at an outside temperature of around 9C. I arrived at Seattle Premium Outlets after driving a bit less than 170km and had used 34.1 kWh of juice.

After EVgo activated the card, the charger started up normally. I left the car charging at an initial rate of 39.6kW while roaming the mall a bit (it's a rather small mall that's almost exclusively clothing stores). The charger shut off after 31 minutes as expected, increasing my charge level from about 45% full to about 75% full and adding about 86km of reported range.

So all in all, a successful experience and I'm glad I got the card activation thing sorted out before I set out on a longer trip.
Great info, Sean. Thanks. I'll be heading down to Seattle this Friday. I've already registered with EVgo, but my EVgo card is in the mail. I'll use the 1-800 number if I don't get the card before I leave Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So ... I'm back.

My trip went really well. I recharged to full at home in Surrey but had to drop my daughter off in Cloverdale. In any case, I got to Seattle Premium Outlets with about half battery capacity. The DCFC was available, so I charged that way. My EVgo card worked first time no problems. WOW! Wish I had one of those things for home (I know, I know: not possible--residential homes not wired appropriately plus DCFC units costs tens of thousands of dollars).

Anyway, got to downtown Seattle no problem. It was night time, and it was a little rainy--not too much, though. I didn't drive at all once there until we came back today. For the round-trip, I had my heating at 18 degrees, with fan at 1 or 2 on defrost (to keep my windows from fogging up). I'd let the cabin warm up and then turn off Heat & A/C, wait, turn it back on again, rinse, repeat. The cabin was pretty comfortable.

Again, I stopped in at Seattle Premium Outlets, but this time, I did a level 2 charge for about an hour and a bit. It was raining like crazy almost all the way back, and it was very windy. I only spent 10 minutes in the line-up at the border (fortunately). In the end, my round-trip consumed 73.5 kWh for 413.5 km (some of which was residential Surrey driving to drop off my daughter).

What a great experience! I was a little concerned before I set out, but once I charged using the DCFC, it was all good. Maybe I'll atttempt a trip to Portland next summer. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
What a great experience! I was a little concerned before I set out, but once I charged using the DCFC, it was all good. Maybe I'll atttempt a trip to Portland next summer. :)
Great report - sounds like you had a very successful trip.

Yep, I think we Bolt owners all take baby steps first, and then gingerly leave the nest for more distant destinations, gaining confidence with each new and farther excursion. That this is largely uneventful delights and emboldens us. It's an adventure!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts