Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've owned an EV for 2 months and today I tried (2nd time) to use a public charger. Usually I rely on my home charger.

So back to the EVGO station I went today, and . . . same damned experience as last time. Couldn't get it to work.

The screen told me to swipe my credit card. Okay. Message displayed: "Payment Error. Your Payment Failed. Try again." I tried again, same message.

I cleared the transaction and tried again using my other credit card. Same experience, same error messages.

A few minutes later I used one of the cards inside a store, no problem.

Okay folks, so one malfunctioning EVGO station does not a crisis make.* But I wonder if anyone's tracking the number of nonfunctioning stations out there. The whole EV thing is only going to succeed if there is a way to charge a car when traveling beyond one's home range. So I wonder if any company or government agency is monitoring public stations?

*Of course if I was down to a low-miles range and desperately needed a charge, it would make for a crisis.

·
Registered
'19 Bolt Premier; '13 Leaf SV w/premium
1,096 Posts
I've definitely encountered broken EVgo DC FCs. I call it in each time. In one or two cases, them remotely rebooting it fixed it.

Not once have I EVER used a CC at an EVgo station or any station. I used to get free and discounted EVgo charging in a small subset of Nor Cal EVgo DC FCs via News - DRIVEtheARC but it's over now. For that, I HAD to start using the DrivetheARC app. For the rest of my EVgo sessions, I've only started them via their app. I have my EVgo RFID card but I usually forget to bring it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Plugshare ratings are a good place to look, and for you to post details of your experience. Did you call the customer service to report the issue before? How about this time?

Credit card payments have been problematic and I have mixed results with interoperability (IE charge point RFID on EVGO station)

Unfortunately the workflow varies and is not as straight forward as it should be. Typically Plug in first, use the app to initiate charge (or RFID card) Lift and support the weight of the Charge handle connector on the Bolt while initiating the charge (Not always required but I make it part of my routine)

A key point is I never touch the screen to select anything, I use the app

That sequence has resulted in extremely high success rate for me...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Agree that Plugshare is your best bet for now. And yes, I've found card readers on all chargers, regardless of brand, to be problematic.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
581 Posts
CC readers seem to be the problem, EA definitely had issues with CC readers.

Try the smartphone app and\or RFID card methods. They seem to be more reliable.
this.

For some reason, the dcfc equipment credit card readers dont work consistently. It baffles the mind as that is very old tech. Recommend to use the app or have them send you the rfid card.
I have had very few issues with either method at evgo or chargepoint.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
The screen told me to swipe my credit card. Okay. Message displayed: "Payment Error. Your Payment Failed. Try again." I tried again, same message.
If you're just trying the DC fast charger for kicks, no big deal. But if you're planning a road trip and you're going to really be relying on them, then IMHO you should equip yourself with as many payment options as possible. That means getting an account on their network authorized to pay with your credit card, putting their app on your phone, and getting one of their RFID cards if possible. Sometimes there's no cell coverage so you need to use the RFID card. If the RFID reader is dead then you can use the app. Or your actual credit card. I've had all these things happen to me and it was only because I had options that I was able to charge.

The biggest problem with this is that there are so many EV charging networks that I have to carry around the better part of a dozen RFID cards and deal with all those accounts. It's really annoying, kind of like the old days before gas stations took Chargex and so I had to have several gas station credit cards and deal with paying several bills each month.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're just trying the DC fast charger for kicks, no big deal. But if you're planning a road trip and you're going to really be relying on them, then IMHO you should equip yourself with as many payment options as possible. That means getting an account on their network authorized to pay with your credit card, putting their app on your phone, and getting one of their RFID cards if possible. Sometimes there's no cell coverage so you need to use the RFID card. If the RFID reader is dead then you can use the app. Or your actual credit card. I've had all these things happen to me and it was only because I had options that I was able to charge.

The biggest problem with this is that there are so many EV charging networks that I have to carry around the better part of a dozen RFID cards and deal with all those accounts. It's really annoying, kind of like the old days before gas stations took Chargex and so I had to have several gas station credit cards and deal with paying several bills each month.
Sounds like a good plan, thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
CC readers seem to be the problem, EA definitely had issues with CC readers.

Try the smartphone app and\or RFID card methods. They seem to be more reliable.
This. While I have a couple of RFID cards I keep in the car, I primarily use the apps: EA, ChargePoint, EVgo, and Blink. After my first try over a year ago, my standard credit cards have stayed in my wallet.

·
1,627 Posts
This. While I have a couple of RFID cards I keep in the car, I primarily use the apps: EA, ChargePoint, EVgo, and Blink. After my first try over a year ago, my standard credit cards have stayed in my wallet.
I recently charged at EA, but being more familiar with ChargePoint, I tried using my phone NFC and it brought up my CC and failed. I then remembered to use the app and it worked.

Kind of embarrassing because a Model S owner was waiting for me to get charging started so we could join the rest of the road trip crew across the freeway at the SC site for lunch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts