Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trying the LKA on my 2019, I think it is more appropriately labelled ROTRBB (running off the road bump back). ;) After trying it many times, I understand it is programmed to only intervene if it "needs" to but it allows the Bolt to literally run off the road (past the lines) before it attempts to bump it back. It seems like it'd be a great feature to have a menu item for LKA sensitivity, like 3 options: light, moderate, aggressive. Where the "aggressive" option would try to keep it in the center 80% of the lane for example. As it is, it'll generally bump you back in the lane if you are slowly drifting over and if you don't touch the steering wheel at that point, it heads aggressively toward the other side of the lane and often just goes over the line without even trying to correct. Kinda useless IMO. Maybe it has an outside chance of saving you if you fell asleep. Maybe not.

Chevy are you listening? Give us a UI update that allows us to select some sort of LKA sensitivity!

Mike

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would call the 2017 version on Lane Keep Assist as both scary and useless. It kind of worked on a well marked freeway, but I found it unnerving.

In trying the LKA on my 2019, I think it is more appropriately labelled ROTRBB (running off the road bump back). ;) After trying it many times, I understand it is programmed to only intervene if it "needs" to but it allows the Bolt to literally run off the road (past the lines) before it attempts to bump it back. It seems like it'd be a great feature to have a menu item for LKA sensitivity, like 3 options: light, moderate, aggressive. Where the "aggressive" option would try to keep it in the center 80% of the lane for example. As it is, it'll generally bump you back in the lane if you are slowly drifting over and if you don't touch the steering wheel at that point, it heads aggressively toward the other side of the lane and often just goes over the line without even trying to correct. Kinda useless IMO. Maybe it has an outside chance of saving you if you fell asleep. Maybe not.

Chevy are you listening? Give us a UI update that allows us to select some sort of LKA sensitivity!

Mike

·
Registered
631 Posts
Update - NO. NEVER. For 2020, doubtful, but we can hope. They have the technology at GM - see Consumer Reports of rating of Cadillac over Tesla on auto steering.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would call the 2017 version on Lane Keep Assist as both scary and useless. It kind of worked on a well marked freeway, but I found it unnerving.
If it's any consolation to 2017 owners (probably not), the 2019 doesn't seem any better. Testing it in safe locations with no traffic, most of the time if you let it slowly drift right, it'll let the right wheels go over the white line and then bump it back in lane. And when it does, it's headed for the left (center line) at an even sharper angle. Because of the sharper angle, it'll often just cross the center line, beep, act like it "wants" to jerk it back right into your lane but not do it enough and it'll just drive right over the center line into the oncoming lane. :| IMO, not usable at all in its current form.

Clearly the car has the "hardware" to do it right. It just doesn't. And "updates that improve your car" seems to be a Tesla exclusive. I don't see GM making any updates to improve it... but I can still hope.

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
It works as intended, but does let you cross a foot or two into another lane before intervening. My company 2017 GMC has the lane assist and it feels more aggressive than the Bolt's, but still lets you cross a few feet over the line before kicking you back into the lane. Driving empty rural roads, I let the GMC make a sweeping right hand turn for me, full 90º direction change, hands off, and I was quite impressed with it. I have not tested it to that extent in the Bolt because I have not driven it out to empty rural roads, but it definitely does not seem push the wheel in my hands like the GMC. The differences I'm sure are all software, as well as the tolerance setting for staying in the lane.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It works as intended, but does let you cross a foot or two into another lane before intervening. My company 2017 GMC has the lane assist and it feels more aggressive than the Bolt's, but still lets you cross a few feet over the line before kicking you back into the lane. Driving empty rural roads, I let the GMC make a sweeping right hand turn for me, full 90º direction change, hands off, and I was quite impressed with it. I have not tested it to that extent in the Bolt because I have not driven it out to empty rural roads, but it definitely does not seem push the wheel in my hands like the GMC. The differences I'm sure are all software, as well as the tolerance setting for staying in the lane.
That's an accurate enough description. My main problem with it is that it only seems to correct itself once in a lot of situations. Sometimes it'll ping pong and bounce off the right side, aim it too far left, and then bounce off the left side. But more often the situation is that it'll go over the right lane marker at a slow/shallow rate due to road crown and once it passes over the line, it bumps back to the left, aiming it at the left line at a sharper angle. At that point, it crosses the center line, gives a beep, nudges a little to the right but not enough... and once the line gets to about the middle of the car, it gives up trying to bump it back right and it just keeps going left into the oncoming lane.

In other words, it only seems to work with very shallow/slow approaches at the line on either side. If you are moving out of the lane a little quicker than that, it can't compensate and gives up, just letting it leave the lane.

Mike

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've posted these thoughts on other threads, but wanted to chime in here as well as it's appropriate. I noticed these deficiencies in the LKA system when doing the test drives. I had enough of it to NOT need it on the Bolt because of the unreliability. For what it's worth, the LKA system on the Subaru doesn't seem to be any better.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm on the other side of the spectrum where I find the LKA quite useful. The dash display shows an icon when the system is detecting the road. If the car has trouble seeing the lines the icon turns off. Just a gentle nudge to put you back in your lane. For fun, I've let the car go line to line until you get scared with the increasing angle of attack. Not advisable to ever rely on this to do more than just warn a distracted driver. Since the Bolt, my wife has never had to tell me to get back in my lane. The LKA is worth every penny just for this reason.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think it's pretty useless. It's never worked well enough for me to ever even consider leaving it on, using juice for no reason. An LKA system should keep you from LEAVING the lane you're in, even if it does ping pong you between the lane markers. It shouldn't shoot you into oncoming traffic! That's downright dangerous! If the car gets to the point where it's doing that, with no driver input, it should stop the car! (CHEVY, ARE YOU LISTENING?) An LKA system that would keep you in the center 80% of the lane would be called Autonomous Driving Mode, would it not? ;^)

I like the LKA in my wife's 2016 Miata. It uses the stereo system to make an audible rumble (volume adjustable) when you get close to, or over, the line. Sensitivity is adjustable too. If you start heading over the right line, you get a "brrrrrrr" rumble in the right speaker, and conversely on the left. Nice that it is adjustable, so you don't get the warning every time you clip your apex. :^)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
An LKA system should keep you from LEAVING the lane you're in, even if it does ping pong you between the lane markers. It shouldn't shoot you into oncoming traffic! That's downright dangerous!
What's even more dangerous is being so distracted that you've allowed the car to do that in the first place. LKA isn't intended to be used as some sort of automatic steering mechanism - it's there as a kind of last-ditch effort to save the day, and even then only under fairly optimal conditions that allow it to detect the lane markings, etc.

If you want a car that stays centered in the lane then you need to buy something other than the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's even more dangerous is being so distracted that you've allowed the car to do that in the first place. LKA isn't intended to be used as some sort of automatic steering mechanism - it's there as a kind of last-ditch effort to save the day, and even then only under fairly optimal conditions that allow it to detect the lane markings, etc.

If you want a car that stays centered in the lane then you need to buy something other than the Bolt.
Yeah, my wish list item to set the sensitivity so it keeps you more "in lane" is just a show off thing. Doubt I'd ever use it other than those rare occasions when I wait for no traffic and then drive with my knee for a few seconds while I take the cap off my Coke bottle. :)

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed this as well on both test drives I took this week. The LKA on my wife's CX-5 is phenomenal. Corrects accurately 90% of the time and with just enough force to get you back on the other side of the line. The Bolt was so weak it seemed barely present. I actually wondered if it worked at all, but I did get a small nudge on one occasion. I'm still leaning towards purchasing a used 2017 because the battery is awesome, torque is super fun, and the price is just right. That said, Chevy really missed the mark on a lot of creature comforts that are present in much cheaper cars (LKA, ACC, power seats, soft touch materials, etc). An affordable BEV, it is. A luxury, $40k vehicle it is not.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Doubt I'd ever use it other than those rare occasions when I wait for no traffic and then drive with my knee for a few seconds while I take the cap off my Coke bottle.
Mike
Hopefully, you are referring to taking the lid off a bottle of coca cola and not off a bottle of cocaine ?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
To me, the lane-keep-assist functionality isn't meant as a substitute for normal driving skills. As @Sean Nelson noted, it's meant as a “hey, wake up, what the hėll are you doing here!?!??” feature, like the emergency braking alert when the car is worried you're going to crash into the car in front.

I don't expect these systems to catch ever possible error; they're useful if they help drivers avoid some accidents. The “don't crash into the car in front” alert has gone off for a couple of times spuriously when taking a sharp turn, but also a couple of times when I've been on the freeway double-checking my blind spot before making a lane change. The alert probably saved about half a second of reaction time to unexpected braking ahead of me. Probably I'd have been okay without it, but it'd have been a much closer call.

All in all, I find these features useful, but I don't expect them to drive the car for me, or even detect every danger situation.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
To me, the lane-keep-assist functionality isn't meant as a substitute for normal driving skills. As @Sean Nelson noted, it's meant as a “hey, wake up, what the hėll are you doing here!?!??” feature, like the emergency braking alert when the car is worried you're going to crash into the car in front.

I don't expect these systems to catch ever possible error; they're useful if they help drivers avoid some accidents. The “don't crash into the car in front” alert has gone off for a couple of times spuriously when taking a sharp turn, but also a couple of times when I've been on the freeway double-checking my blind spot before making a lane change. The alert probably saved about half a second of reaction time to unexpected braking ahead of me. Probably I'd have been okay without it, but it'd have been a much closer call.

All in all, I find these features useful, but I don't expect them to drive the car for me, or even detect every danger situation.
I agree completely. However, I wish the LKA in the Bolt did a slightly better job overall, and I am being picky.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
575 Posts
Have you heard of anyone doing this with a Bolt?
Yeah, but the guy who is doing it is kind of a flake and the entire project is probably never going to actually come to fruition.

Flake is probably not a good word to use; Seems like a nice guy, merely unreliable and has a lot of personal issues going on in his life.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts