Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I purchased my 2017 Bolt Premier, I received a survey from GM asking for my input on things I’d like to see changed on future models. My suggestions:
1. Get rid of the stupid electronic shifter and put in a standard type.
2. Replace all incandescent bulbs with LEDs.
3. Redesign the hatch to get rid of the scalp-cutting triangles that EVERY owner has run into.
4. Add add audio to the blind spot alert, so when you activate the turn signal you know instantly there is a vehicle in your blind spot.
5. Add adaptive cruise control - all the sensors are already in place so it would just be a software upgrade.
6. Improve the seats.
7. Activate OTA updates.
There may have been a couple of others, but these I think about most every day. Besides the better seats, did any of the others happen?

·
Registered
145 Posts
No way ! The shifter is great as it is.

3. Redesign the hatch to get rid of the scalp-cutting triangles that EVERY owner has run into.
I don’t know what are you talking about.

4. Add add audio to the blind spot alert, so when you activate the turn signal you know instantly there is a vehicle in your blind spot.
If you can’t see the light in the lateral mirror what makes you think you’ll hear the audio alert ?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Since GM will probably move away from the Bolt EV, most of these changes will likely never occur. I think they will move toward ACC and OTA updates in their other EVs though.. (I did get one OTA update on the infotainment system in 2018, but the battery SoC measurement/indication update was at the dealer.)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
After I purchased my 2017 Bolt Premier, I received a survey from GM asking for my input on things I’d like to see changed on future models. My suggestions:
That will be done for the MY 2022 (was supposed to be MY 2021, but delayed due to the pandemic)

Not sure if/when that might happen. It's primarily the headlights and running lights that matter.

That looks to be gone on the MY 2022.

There is already audio for the proximity alert, so I have to imagine they have a reason for not doing it. It could be that it sounds like a good idea, but because blind spot detection is on all the time, it might get annoying. Maybe a combination of blinker and blind spot detection?

5. Add adaptive cruise control - all the sensors are already in place so it would just be a software upgrade.
They will be offering Super Cruise as an option starting with the MY 2022.

6. Improve the seats.
They made slight improvements starting in 2018 or 2019, but they weren't significant enough for the people who had issues with the original seats. The MY 2022 will get completely new seats as far as I understand it.

7. Activate OTA updates.
OTA updates have been active and available since day one. Actually using them, though, is another story. I've heard people say that OTA was only available for the Infotainment system, but I haven't seen anything official that supports that. I do know that due to the risk of bricking the car, they've chosen to only do the BMS updates at their service centers. If there were something actually wrong with the car (i.e., mission critical rather than elective), I think we'd see GM leverage OTA updates.

·
Registered
439 Posts
6. Improve the seats.
7. Activate OTA updates.
There may have been a couple of others, but these I think about most every day. Besides the better seats, did any of the others happen?
1. Nope! Like it or lump it.
2. Maybe...
3. WRONG! Not everyone has run into them....just the STUPID ones that don't watch what they are doing
4. Or you can shoulder check LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO....
5. But perhaps the sensors are not capable of doing so......still it is a shhhmaybe at best.
6. They were improved in the 2018 models and up. Get a cushion.
7. Yes to this.....but not all updates are good. the 2017 model has the ability to play MP4 videos but they took that away.

Reactions: Killravyn

·
Registered
439 Posts
My wife is 4'9" tall... she never noticed those corners being dangerous... in fact if they didn't stick down, she would not be able to close the hatch without getting a step stool!

Keith
LOL

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
"3. Redesign the hatch to get rid of the scalp-cutting triangles that EVERY owner has run into."
One would think that with the wisdom gained by my advanced age, this may have happened ONCE followed by excess carefulness, but, NO, I have bonked myself TWICE (and with little {OK, I'll be honest - no} hair on the top of my head, that really smarts!)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I definitely am one of those who, even with the picture above, can’t figure out how someone can leave his scalp in those. 🤔
Maybe it’s a height thing. I’m 6’ and have bumped my head on those stupid corners more times than I care to admit in the six months I’ve owned my bolt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why didn't you ask to get rid of the annoying and embarrassing horn chirps? I think all Chevys have that "feature", so I don't have my hopes high, but still it's worth mentioning.
If I exit the car and my wife has her own key in her pocket or purse, all the neighbors have to know that something is odd.
Also please get rid of the door ajar "bing". Opening the driver's door while in a gear will make the car endlessly sound a "bing-bing-bing".
What blind sport monitoring? (LT)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I conked my face into the outer lift gate corner just once. After that, I always approach the open trunk in a cringe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That will be done for the MY 2022 (was supposed to be MY 2021, but delayed due to the pandemic)

Not sure if/when that might happen. It's primarily the headlights and running lights that matter.

That looks to be gone on the MY 2022.

There is already audio for the proximity alert, so I have to imagine they have a reason for not doing it. It could be that it sounds like a good idea, but because blind spot detection is on all the time, it might get annoying. Maybe a combination of blinker and blind spot detection?

They will be offering Super Cruise as an option starting with the MY 2022.

They made slight improvements starting in 2018 or 2019, but they weren't significant enough for the people who had issues with the original seats. The MY 2022 will get completely new seats as far as I understand it.

OTA updates have been active and available since day one. Actually using them, though, is another story. I've heard people say that OTA was only available for the Infotainment system, but I haven't seen anything official that supports that. I do know that due to the risk of bricking the car, they've chosen to only do the BMS updates at their service centers. If there were something actually wrong with the car (i.e., mission critical rather than elective), I think we'd see GM leverage OTA updates.
What is MY 2022

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
88 Posts
Worst design ever. Maybe it is a height thing — I’m 6’1 and have hit my head on those at least five times.
I’m seeing a trend here.... I’m 6’3” and I see them and duck/avoid. It’s the things that are 1” shorter that you never see in time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts