Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am thinking of picking up a Bolt this week and was going to splurge for premiere (mainly because of safety features that I really need) on the basis that I would make an extra 50 on UBER a month to pay for it.

Do we have any UBER drivers on here that can chime in and give advice with their fit?
Like what mods or .. tips/advice.. like that?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi I am thinking of picking up a Bolt this week and was going to splurge for premiere (mainly because of safety features that I really need) on the basis that I would make an extra 50 on UBER a month to pay for it.

Do we have any UBER drivers on here that can chime in and give advice with their fit?
Like what mods or .. tips/advice.. like that?
Well, Premiere gets you leather seats: easier to wipe off passenger vomit.
Ask me anything...

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
and the break assist for 1k more.. yikes.

If i work about 5 hours a week locally.. how much could I make in a month?
is 200 a dream?
$10 an hour? Sounds like a bad dream to me. You should be able to do around $18/hr. Your maintenance and fuel costs will be very low in an EV, but the extra miles will depreciate the new car very rapidly.

Besides advising against driving for Uber, the next best idea is to buy a 6 year old Hyundai Accent or similar cheap vehicle and run it into the ground over the next 4 years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I work from home and barely ever go anywhere and am only really doing this on my spare time for fun.. not a career or income.. maybe to pay for the premier upgrade (About 50 more a month)

I am on a 12k lease so thats about 1k miles a month.
Going to try to stay local ISH.. very little highway driving.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I work from home and barely ever go anywhere and am only really doing this on my spare time for fun.. not a career or income.. maybe to pay for the premier upgrade (About 50 more a month)

I am on a 12k lease so thats about 1k miles a month.
Going to try to stay local ISH.. very little highway driving.
My friend puts on 200 miles per day with Uber. You will do about 500 miles per month based on 20hrs. As long as your personal driving doesn't exceed 500 miles, you should be good.

·
Registered
624 Posts
you may want to check with your insurance, i think i read somewhere that they may not cover you if you're using your car for a ride sharing business.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
you may want to check with your insurance, i think i read somewhere that they may not cover you if you're using your car for a ride sharing business.
You pay for Uber's insurance as a portion of the fare that they keep. They pay for damage caused as a result of working for them, too. No need to check personal insurance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You pay for Uber's insurance as a portion of the fare that they keep. They pay for damage caused as a result of working for them, too. No need to check personal insurance.
Alot of people are telling me to try Lyft instead .. and see if that meets my needs.
Anyone tried? I would rather not log into both....

·
Registered
75 Posts
A lot of people are telling me to try Lyft instead .. and see if that meets my needs.
Anyone tried? I would rather not log into both....
You might try starting with Lyft to get your feet wet: fewer users so you won't get overwhelmed with requests, friendlier customer service for drivers if you need help, and Uber may try to poach you with a signing bonus.

But in most areas you'll get more trips with Uber, and you'll probably earn slightly more per trip with Uber, especially during surge times.

I generally log into both. As soon as I get a ping in one, I accept it, and double-tap the iPhone home button to switch to the other app and log out of it, then switch back to start the trip. It's super fast and easy once you've done it a couple of times. (If Uber is minimized too long it will log you out, so I generally keep it on top while waiting for a ping.)

As a money-making proposition, driving for a ride-hailing service is basically like a credit card: you're getting money now, but borrowing against your car's future with faster depreciation and wear in the future. It can make sense if you are driving a vehicle you already own and don't plan to trade, or if you bought a
late-model used car that had suffered appalling depreciation, or if you got a sick lease deal on a model in its last year of production.

I'm not sure how well it pencils out with a Bolt, but it's a chance to expose people to the intoxicating silent whoosh of an EV...and if all you need is to make enough money to pay for the extra options or nicer trim level you really want on your car, you can do that easily.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I took a year off from rideshare, am getting back into it with my bolt.
I wonder if EV's qualify for the $.55/mile tax deduction?

·
Registered
108 Posts
*** UPDATE ***

I'm driving rideshare again and am loving the Bolt!
Most passengers don't know it's an EV or they don't comment.
The ones that know tend to chat it up.

No gas stops, oil changes - and I'm still hoping for the $.55/mile tax deduction.
With my ICE Forester XT I was barely breaking even.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gasoline in the Denver area is $2.60 reg, $3.25 premium.

With my Forester XT (premium) I was barely breaking even, and that's including the $.55 / mile tax deduction.
The Bolt should tip the scales back to the driver. I'm not a good case study as I only drive the easy hours, fun locations.

Tip: Open both Uber, Lyft, accept the ping, close the other.
Tip for the gutsy: peruse https://uberpeople.net and see what others are talking about.

Make some bank with your Bolt and enjoy the passengers' stories.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not to be Debbie Downer... Buuuuuuut...

Using your vehicle for rideshare voids the standard GM warranty.

So, if you go back to the dealership, make sure you remove ANYTHING that would indicate that you are doing so.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Gasoline in the Denver area is $2.60 reg, $3.25 premium.

With my Forester XT (premium) I was barely breaking even, and that's including the $.55 / mile tax deduction.
The Bolt should tip the scales back to the driver. I'm not a good case study as I only drive the easy hours, fun locations.

Tip: Open both Uber, Lyft, accept the ping, close the other.
Tip for the gutsy: peruse https://uberpeople.net and see what others are talking about.

Make some bank with your Bolt and enjoy the passengers' stories.

I'd be a perfect candidate for a ride-share vehicle. I'm ~1 mile from downtown Huntington Beach, with its plethora of bars, restaurants and nightclubs.

Why don't I, you might ask?

The whole barf in the back seat scenario is a mighty deterrent. It destroys a car.:eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here's what I really like about Bolt-driving rideshare, aside from not having to buy gas:
Android auto shows my route in Google maps while Uber shows it in Uber navigation.
This really helps locate my passenger and destination.
Friggin' amazing.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Not to be Debbie Downer... Buuuuuuut...

Using your vehicle for rideshare voids the standard GM warranty.

So, if you go back to the dealership, make sure you remove ANYTHING that would indicate that you are doing so.
Does it really? That's weird. What extra stresses does ride sharing put on a car compared to someone that just drives a lot?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts