Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been able to search the forums for answers to most questions on my new 2019 LT, but not this one. Probably a futile effort, but has anyone found a way to disable the automatic locking of all doors when the car is driven?

I know about the delayed lock feature and have activated it. But I want to completely turn off any kind of auto-locking.

I know about unlocked door anti-lock out, and have activated it. But this seems to only affect the drivers door.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have been able to search the forums for answers to most questions on my new 2019 LT, but not this one. Probably a futile effort, but has anyone found a way to disable the automatic locking of all doors when the car is driven?

I know about the delayed lock feature and have activated it. But I want to completely turn off any kind of auto-locking.

I know about unlocked door anti-lock out, and have activated it. But this seems to only affect the drivers door.
Just curious, why would you want to disable this feature?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha ha. I knew someone would ask that. I use the car for ride sharing on occasion. I want to insure that when a fare walks up to the car they can open the door on first try. Finding that with all the things to deal with (navigation, spotting the fare, driving the car, etc) that I am not always remembering to hit the unlock button on the driver's door.

Where I drive I am blessed to be able to be more concerned about passenger satisfaction than an intruder opening the door. So hoping that this is not a feature that Chevy has locked down for my "safety". ;>

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ha ha ha. I knew someone would ask that. I use the car for ride sharing on occasion. I want to insure that when a fare walks up to the car they can open the door on first try. Finding that with all the things to deal with (navigation, spotting the fare, driving the car, etc) that I am not always remembering to hit the unlock button on the driver's door.

Where I drive I am blessed to be able to be more concerned about passenger satisfaction than an intruder opening the door. So hoping that this is not a feature that Chevy has locked down for my "safety". ;>
Wouldn’t defeating the auto lock create just as much work? You’ll need to manually lock the doors after picking up each passenger, something the car does for you. Yes, no unlocking for passenger #1 , but then no auto-locking either. No matter what, you’ll be pushing a lock or unlock button, and have double-work for each additional passenger in your carpool. Auto-lock requires less effort.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I understand that locked doors are supposed to increase the crash safety of the car. That does not prevent me from going slightly crazy every time it does it. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hit park and the doors unlock. You just have to be faster than your passenger. Good luck.
That is how it should be. You must be stationary and either put the vehicle in "P" or "N" to allow any passenger (or yourself) to enter or exit the vehicle safely. Who wants a vehicle to have unlocked doors while in movement? Unless you want to jump out before falling off a cliff?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hit park and the doors unlock. You just have to be faster than your passenger. Good luck.

Good idea, because it's easier to reach for the shifter than the lock button on the door. Your muscle memory is trained to go there anyway. I think that's the best strategy. Theoretically a great ride-share driver hops out to get the door for the passengers, which I used to do, but fell out of the habit. Regardless, remembering to put the car in Park will likely be easier for me than remembering to hit the unlock button. I ove

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good idea, because it's easier to reach for the shifter than the lock button on the door. Your muscle memory is trained to go there anyway. I think that's the best strategy. Theoretically a great ride-share driver hops out to get the door for the passengers, which I used to do, but fell out of the habit. Regardless, remembering to put the car in Park will likely be easier for me than remembering to hit the unlock button. I ove
It's a cue to safe behavior that definitely should be followed, not dialed out!

Slightly off-topic, I'm very interested to hear you're using the Bolt for ride-sharing. There's quite a bit of concern about ride-sharing increasing CO2 output due to various factors. It's struck me that with its relatively generous internal proportions, nimble behavior in traffic and (of course) superior propulsion system that it's almost ideally suited to this work.The range is enough to exhaust any driver in metropolitan traffic.

Ideally Uber and other firms "helping" drivers into cars would steer them this way, to the point of heavy subsidization.

How is the Bolt working out for you in this duty?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Slightly off-topic, I'm very interested to hear you're using the Bolt for ride-sharing. There's quite a bit of concern about ride-sharing increasing CO2 output due to various factors. It's struck me that with its relatively generous internal proportions, nimble behavior in traffic and (of course) superior propulsion system that it's almost ideally suited to this work.The range is enough to exhaust any driver in metropolitan traffic.

Ideally Uber and other firms "helping" drivers into cars would steer them this way, to the point of heavy subsidization.

How is the Bolt working out for you in this duty?

No worries about going off topic as the question has likely been definitely answered.

I was not aware of the pollution concern conversations. Regardless, ride-sharing with a pure EV should have the opposite effect, eh?

I agree with your assessment that the qualities you mentioned make it an ideal car for that endeavor. I've given a few dozen rides now and the car performs beautifully. I was initially concerned about the Bolt's suitability to the task however (front seats, rear passenger comfort, storage), and actually took a couple of ride requests with the car during the day-long test drive the dealer consented to (shh... don't tell Uber). But the front seats were comfortable enough, the passengers were actually impressed with their compartment, although I have yet to test how many pieces of luggage can be crammed into the back. I'm coming off a 4th GEN Prius, which I think had more storage.

btw - a couple of utubers did a comparison of the Bolt and the Kona, and the Kona had far less legroom in the back seat relative to the Bolt (but more rear cargo space). So in my mind the Bolt edged out the Kona (for when it becomes available in the states).

The other thing I like about the Bolt is that it has easier ingress/egress than my Prius. I really like how it sits up off the ground, and although I didn't measure, assumedly has better ground clearance. The Prius was always scraping driveways.

One significant demerit for the Bolt though are the huge-o blind spots, like on the C pillars (the blocked field of view between the rear passenger windows and the back window). At one point yesterday I was needing to be super confident that no objects were near my right rear quadrant, but no matter how much I craned my neck and slid back and forth in the drivers seat, I could not view around a portion of the blind spot. Never aware of that issue in any other car I've driven. Makes me wish I had purchased some of the additional option packages that provide more telemetry.

For me, the ultimate ride-share vehicle is the Model X, because with a 7-passenger config it can qualify for the premium Uber categories. If I was really serious about ride-sharing I would want one. But I'm not at all serious. So on balance, the Bolt is really sweet for ride-sharing. I always give the pedal a steep push at some point in the ride to see if the fare will pick up on the fact they are in an electric car. Almost to a person they do, and that provides a great opportunity to evangelize a bit. :>

·
Registered
579 Posts
No worries about going off topic as the question has likely been definitely answered.

I was not aware of the pollution concern conversations. Regardless, ride-sharing with a pure EV should have the opposite effect, eh?

I agree with your assessment that the qualities you mentioned make it an ideal car for that endeavor. I've given a few dozen rides now and the car performs beautifully. I was initially concerned about the Bolt's suitability to the task however (front seats, rear passenger comfort, storage), and actually took a couple of ride requests with the car during the day-long test drive the dealer consented to (shh... don't tell Uber). But the front seats were comfortable enough, the passengers were actually impressed with their compartment, although I have yet to test how many pieces of luggage can be crammed into the back. I'm coming off a 4th GEN Prius, which I think had ore storage.

btw - a couple of utubers did a comparison of the Bolt and the Kona, and the Kona had far less legroom in the back seat relative to the Bolt (but more rear cargo space). So in my mind the Bolt edged out the Kona (for when it becomes available in the states).

The other thing I like about the Bolt is that it has easier ingress/egress than my Prius. I really like how it sits up off the ground, and although I didn't measure, assumedly has better ground clearance. The Prius was always scraping driveways.

One significant demerit for the Bolt though are the huge-o blind spots on the C pillars (the blocked field of view between the rear passenger windows and the back window. At one point yesterday I was needing to be super confident that no objects we near my right rear quadrant, but no matter how much I craned my neck and slid back and forth in the drivers seat, I could not view around a portion of the blind spot. Never aware of that issue in any other car I've driven. Makes me wish I had purchased some of the additional option packages that provide more telemetry.

For me, the ultimate ride-share vehicle is the Model X. If I was really serious about rise-sharing I would want one. But I'm not at all serious. So on balance, the Bolt is really sweet for ride-sharing. I always give the pedal a steep push at some point in the ride to see if the fare will pick up on the fact they are in an electric car. Almost to a person they do, and that provides a great opportunity to evangelize a bit. :>
What an excellent synopsis--- thanks!

The ride-share thing is apparently stimulating low-occupancy vehicle usage and as well to some extent taking away some riders from public transit, the latter the equivalent perhaps to redistributing packages for delivery by UPS to many smaller vehicles. So as an engineering problem, providing the advantages of ride-share to customers while not adding to some already acute problems is a challenge that it seems EVs are very well suited to meet, as you say.

Thanks again for a super-informative answer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Happy to share such info.

By the way, going back to the subject of door locks, I have discovered that there are no door unlock mechanisms on the back doors. Given the shape and recessed attribute of the plunger there seems to be no way for a rear passenger to unlock their own door?

I feel stupid asking the question, but I looked and googled several times. No rear door unlockers. What am I missing?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Does anyone know how to DISABLE auto unlock??? All I want to do is keep vehicle on for a few hours after im parking at home to keep vehicle cool and keep wifi on. I called GM directly and of course they don't know what im talking about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know how to DISABLE auto unlock??? All I want to do is keep vehicle on for a few hours after im parking at home to keep vehicle cool and keep wifi on. I called GM directly and of course they don't know what im talking about.

Do you mean being able to lock the vehicle when you're leaving it? I haven't found a way to do so with the buttons on the vehicle but you can lock it with your key fob and it stays locked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts