Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reached out to my dealer about the Mid-Nov software upgrade. I asked my salesman as he is a bolt owner too. He said he has heard nothing on new software but they have changed out 6 batteries already! That was good news to hear. I wanted to try and schedule a trip to get my winter wheels I ordered from them with getting the software as I don't think we're high on the battery list. He acted like there wasn't going to be a new software, they are just changing batteries now. I was hoping to get the new diagnostics to be able to charge in the garage again.

Cheers

Maritime

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have started charging in the garage during the day and after charging leaving our 2020 Bolt Premium outside at night.
We don't have to worry much about winter tires out here but we are in the rainy season now (almost 200mm of rain in two days a couple if weeks ago) and I'd like to get her out of the rain soon.
I'm hoping the software update will do the trick.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don’t drive that much but have been charging inside but always finish or unplug a couple hours before I go to bed. Only charging at 12A as well. sometimes it may take a couple of days to get it “fully” charged. Fully charged for me is 80%. Currently sitting in the garage while we are in the Bay Area for a month - probably slowly drifting further down the recall priority. I’m used to not ever seeing a Bolt so it‘s amazing to see so many around here. Today was walking and saw a 2022 Bolt EUV.

Weather is not that bad but I dont like leaving my car outside. At one time we had two VWs that were nearly identical. One was garaged for the first 6 years and the other wasn’t. Noticable difference in headlamp covers, headliners, paint and other things. I like having a dry near indoor temperature vehicle to get in to drive. I almost never get the battery down to half. One time had it down to 36 miles remaining. Otherwise very light use compared to many folks so I dont worry much.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I always thought that software would have been a way to bypass changing batteries. They mentioned some of the features to "better detect". I'd suppose if the software guys can convince some big wig then they will use it for evil.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I always thought that software would have been a way to bypass changing batteries.
The software is supposed to unlock as much capability as possible for cars whose batteries have not yet been replaced. And as a byproduct it would presumably flag cars with higher risk batteries so that they can be moved toward the head of the replacement queue. It's a mitigation effort to help folks who are impacted by the charging restrictions.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
The software is supposed to unlock as much capability as possible for cars whose batteries have not yet been replaced. And as a byproduct it would presumably flag cars with higher risk batteries so that they can be moved toward the head of the replacement queue. It's a mitigation effort to help folks who are impacted by the charging restrictions.
Somehow, I think it would be multiple software updates/visits to the dealer... first version limits us to 80%, and after a month or two of zero fire, we get 90%, and a month or two of zero fire, we get 100%...

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Somehow, I think it would be multiple software updates/visits to the dealer... first version limits us to 80%, and after a month or two of zero fire, we get 90%, and a month or two of zero fire, we get 100%...
My understanding is that the software does this on its own based the data it collects as it monitors the battery.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I still think GM and LG are working to avoid taking battery packs apart. If a software solution made it possible then they'd roll the dice on it. I don't expect a new battery but I expect a fully safe battery. It has been a source of worry for others and myself for some time now.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My understanding is that the software does this on its own based the data it collects as it monitors the battery.
There is all of this speculation about the software and the upper limit of charging. But what about the lower limit of discharging? The 29% at the bottom that customers are no longer supposed to use is a bigger chunk of capacity than the 10% (or 20%) at the top, and it especially impacts customers who use DCFC, since the bottom part of the capacity range is where DCFC is the fastest.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I read a description someplace that said it will charge to 80%, run diagnostics, if all is well got to 90%, do it again, all well go to 100%. all in one session. After X number of sessions without issues your cleared for parking/charging inside and 100% charging if needed. We can live with the 30-90% restriction but this morning we came outside to find the cars covered in Ice pellets from fog that rolled in after it dropping below freezing overnight. My wife said, "I friggin hope we can park inside soon!"

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is all of this speculation about the software and the upper limit of charging. But what about the lower limit of discharging? The 29% at the bottom that customers are no longer supposed to use is a bigger chunk of capacity than the 10% (or 20%) at the top, and it especially impacts customers who use DCFC, since the bottom part of the capacity range is where DCFC is the fastest.
And thus makes trips longer and cost more :cry: having taken many longer road trips the top 10 is less of an issue, but still an issue, than the bottom 30. At dcfc I don't usually go above 80.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I still think GM and LG are working to avoid taking battery packs apart. If a software solution made it possible then they'd roll the dice on it.
I think the ship has sailed on that possibility. They're going full steam ahead on battery replacements, LG is footing most of the bill, and GM has no incentive to let LG off the hook for what's happened.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I still think GM and LG are working to avoid taking battery packs apart. If a software solution made it possible then they'd roll the dice on it. I don't expect a new battery but I expect a fully safe battery. It has been a source of worry for others and myself for some time now.
My advice is find something else to fret about. With multiple EV platforms coming out shortly, GM does not want any more Bolt EV problems raining on their parade (one eff up cancels a thousand attaboys). It's a very hard decision to replace 10^5 battery packs on a platform that will be obsolete in a couple of years, but GM and LG has to do it for their "all in" electric future.
I expect the new software will say my battery is fine, which I have concluded anyway based on it surviving my abuse, LOL. So I will probably be in the back of the Korean replacement line.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My advice is find something else to fret about. With multiple EV platforms coming out shortly, GM does not want any more Bolt EV problems raining on their parade (one eff up cancels a thousand attaboys). It's a very hard decision to replace 10^5 battery packs on a platform that will be obsolete in a couple of years, but GM and LG has to do it for their "all in" electric future.
I expect the new software will say my battery is fine, which I have concluded anyway based on it surviving my abuse, LOL. So I will probably be in the back of the Korean replacement line.
Ha, we never got the chance to abuse ours LOL. bought it Aug 19, recalled Aug 20th and have been following instructions since. I have decided that software or not, I'm going to start parking in the Garage and setting charge time to hit 90% half hour before my wife leaves for work so we'll be awake should the very very very unlikely fire happen. The iced up car this morning was not fun.

·
Registered
999 Posts
One of those deals where one predicts the future. I won't mind a new battery but there is no evidence that my model will get one. I only believe the first gen will get new packs.

·
Registered
2020 Premier
136 Posts
If any battery experts on the forum are inclined to review some LG patents that might give insight into what the software might be able to do, here is a short list that looked promising to me (not a battery expert):

BATTERY MANAGEMENT APPARATUS AND METHOD USING NON-DESTRUCTIVE RESISTANCE ANALYSIS
The present disclosure relates to a battery management apparatus and method, and more particularly, to a battery management apparatus and method using non-destructive resistance analysis for analyzing the change of resistance of a battery cell. According to an embodiment of the present disclosure, even if the EIS (Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy) analysis is not used, the resistance change rate of the battery cell may be calculated non-destructively using the QV curve and the Q-dV/dQ curve of the battery cell.

Apparatus and method for diagnosing battery
An apparatus for diagnosing a battery includes a sensing unit configured to measure a potential and a current of a battery, and a processor configured to estimate a capacity of the battery based on the current measured by the sensing unit, detect inflection points in potential-capacity data in which the potential and the estimated capacity are mapped with each other, estimate an electrode potential of each inflection point, calculate a potential difference between each estimated electrode potential and a reference electrode potential, diagnose a change of at least one of an active material area, a depth of charge and a depth of discharge of an electrode of the battery based on an increase or decrease pattern of the plurality of calculated potential differences, and determine a mode of the battery as a normal mode or a failure mode based on the diagnosis result.

Apparatus and method for estimating resistance of battery
An apparatus for estimating a resistance of a battery includes: a sensing unit configured to measure voltage, current and temperature of a battery; and a processor operably coupled to the sensing unit, wherein the processor calculates a measured resistance of the battery by using the voltage and the current of the battery, determines whether an operation state of the battery corresponds to a resistance correcting condition, corrects the measured resistance by using a resistance increase/decrease rate of a beginning of life (BOL) resistance of the battery according to a charge/discharge rate when the operation state of the battery corresponds to the resistance correcting condition, and determines the corrected measured resistance as a resistance of the battery.

Edit: the links above are no longer correct as of at least 11/23/21, I don't know why.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I keep hearing people say a prediction that I don't believe until I see it.

If one reads the function of the reported November software and they have been in maintenance for a while they might suspect what I suspect.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
If any battery experts on the forum are inclined to review some LG patents that might give insight into what the software might be able to do, here is a short list that looked promising to me (not a battery expert):
I am not a battery expert. It is interesting that they were applying for patents for this during the time frame when they, Hyundai, and GM, knew there was a problem. The things they are talking about measuring are the very things we have discussed here on this forum for how you might find a problem. Cell temperature, and resistance (as determined by voltage) during load, compared to at rest.

The million dollar question is if the resolution, and sample rate, of the sensors and computers currently in the Bolt are sufficient to make these determinations.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts