Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
185 Posts
Sigh... just got off the phone w/the closest dealer and they're claiming that despite me having a '19 and me telling them I received the email below that it's not available for my vehicle:

They claim it isn't open and it'll be available in the next 30 days, to which I responded, yes, I know about the next 30 days for '17 and '18 but I have '19. They also pointed me to the web site (Chevy Bolt EV & EUV Recall | Chevrolet) to which I read to them:

Nope, not good enough for them. So, I got nowhere. :(
I got the exact same story from my usual dealer... I tried presenting them alot of evidence that to me, they were misunderstanding the issue. Then I call the EV Concierge for the first time and he confirmed to me that my car was eligible. He then called the dealer to set them straight. He came back and said the dealer insisted that I needed to get my battery first (-881) and then they could schedule me for the software update (-883) on the new battery!?
I then called another dealer (actually closer to my home) and they said "no problem, we can't schedule it just yet but we can book you in 2 weeks, make sure to bring your car in under 80% charge". Simple as that. I'll let you know if things play out that well.
I'm seriously considering moving my business to this dealer. They were knowledgeable, willing to help and generally helpful over the phone. A nice change from "sorry can't help you".

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
For my local dealer who gave me the 30 day runaround on my '19, I ended up via their web page sending them a message w/URLs of the relevant PDFs (like the below) and relevant snippets of the email I received. Let's see if they get a clue.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-5443.pdf even says
"The status of the VIN will remain “Incomplete, Remedy Not Available” in the Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) in Global Warranty Management even after the completion of the service procedure" and
"Involved vehicles are marked “Incomplete, Remedy Not Available” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system."

and from my email:
"This software is now available for your 2019 vehicle. Schedule a service appointment at your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to have the software installed."

·
Registered
185 Posts
For my local dealer who gave me the 30 day runaround on my '19, I ended up via their web page sending them a message w/URLs of the relevant PDFs (like the below) and relevant snippets of the email I received. Let's see if they get a clue.
They won't read it and just dismiss you as one of those internet know-it-alls...
Wanna bet? ;)

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
418 Posts
Folks, sorry to tell you this, ( I could be wrong) but this may take some time before the dealers get into the groove with this.
GM and independent GM dealers are often not on the same page. This is all new to them.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
^^^
Indeed. I'm in Silicon Valley (with tons of Bolts around) and so is the dealer giving me the 30 day runaround. If you look at houses within a 2 house radius of where I live, there are 3 other Bolts, Two of the drivers leased earlier Bolts and got replacements once their 1st leases ran out (1 of the replacements is for sure is leased).

We have ~60 Bolts in my work's EV/PHEV registry. Maybe it'll take some time before the closest dealer to me gets a clue about '19's and N212343883.

·
Registered
55 Posts
<snip>

But they are a company will a long history of deception when defects happen to lower their warranty costs and keep selling vehicles. I hope some insider writes a book about how this all happened or does a TV documentary to show how corporations think about themselves first and the customer second. GM has made so many bad vehicles and other mistakes and that is why the Asian auto companies are so successful. I know lots of friends that would never look at a GM or Ford product again.

<snip>
You present all this knowledge with certainty and use it to vilify the company, yet you went ahead and bought one of their products. I'm curious as to why. If I was of the mindset you are towards GM, there's no way on God's Green Earth I would buy one of their products.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
There is a snail from Chevrolet "IMPORTANT VEHICLE INFORMATION" addressed to me thanks to USPS informed delivery. I'm not at home to open it to see it but I suspect it's the same as the email I got. If I had more time and didn't have pressing work obligations, I would go straight to the dealer or try another dealer.

I did try to explain to the woman on the phone that I suspect the "remedy not available" refers to the pack not being allocated for my car, not the software update. Not good enough for her.

Sigh... I will try calling again tomorrow. If they give me the runaround, I guess I'll try another further away dealer which is not nearly as convenient. Closest dealer is much closer and also right near where my parents live (so they could give me a ride to/from if the dealer still has no shuttle). Further dealer is probably out of range for their shuttle, if they have one.
I can confirm the snail mail was the letter from Chevrolet telling me about the software to limit to 80%. And, in bold w/underlining: THIS SOFTWARE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR YOUR 2019 VEHICLE. Schedule a service appointment at your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to have the software installed.

It is the same as the letter at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V560-5337.pdf. Mine was postmarked 11/19/21 and it arrived here in CA on 11/23/21.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Folks, sorry to tell you this, ( I could be wrong) but this may take some time before the dealers get into the groove with this.
GM and independent GM dealers are often not on the same page. This is all new to them.
I understand this but my expectation would be for them to say "we're not sure about this but we'll contact GM and figure this out and get back to you". Or at least read the documentation given as proof and not just dismiss it and even argue with the EV concierge. This is where I draw the line personally.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
I understand this but my expectation would be for them to say "we're not sure about this but we'll contact GM and figure this out and get back to you". Or at least read the documentation given as proof and not just dismiss it and even argue with the EV concierge. This is where I draw the line personally.
Exactly. Ignorance is forgivable, but not obstinance.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
418 Posts
Agree, your expectation is valid. However,... (insert long pause) ... dealers are independently owned businesses and care about one thing - > making $$$ money.
When their service dept can make "customer pay money" by scheduling maintenance on their best sellers ->pickup trucks, why would they want to tie up a service bay and a technician to deal with a screwup that this made by LG/GM.
There is no incentive for them to do so. SOme may even say- I did not sign up for this sh#$%t.
The dealerships are still far away to make the EV switch. Some don't even want to. Some don't even want to sell them. Why? They make money in "servicing the cars".
Hint!.....Do we recall how much servicing an EV needs? almost none.
Hint2! There is little money selling the cars, way more money servicing.
When in doubt- follow the money. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Agree, your expectation is valid. However,... (insert long pause) ... dealers are independently owned businesses and care about one thing - > making $$$ money.
When their service dept can make "customer pay money" by scheduling maintenance on their best sellers ->pickup trucks, why would they want to tie up a service bay and a technician to deal with a screwup that this made by LG/GM.
There is no incentive for them to do so. SOme may even say- I did not sign up for this sh#$%t.
The dealerships are still far away to make the EV switch. Some don't even want to. Some don't even want to sell them. Why? They make money in "servicing the cars".
Sad but true. So glad I found one generally interested in EV's and want to be informed and helpful. Just wish they were closer LOL.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
So solutuon is that we need shops like Rich Rebuilds and ability to buy direct from mfg.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did anyone get the information about the software update by paper mail? I have the USPS "Informed Delivery" where I get an email from the postal service with images of the mail I will get that day. Yesterday, the picture included on from GM, but it did not arrive either today or yesterday. Yes, problems happen, but I did wonder if this was just about the software upgrade, or if it might be telling my that my battery replacement was available.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
417 Posts
Did anyone get the information about the software update by paper mail? I have the USPS "Informed Delivery" where I get an email from the postal service with images of the mail I will get that day. Yesterday, the picture included on from GM, but it did not arrive either today or yesterday. Yes, problems happen, but I did wonder if this was just about the software upgrade, or if it might be telling my that my battery replacement was available.
I get those emails from USPS as well. What I've noticed is that some days the letter does not arrive on the same day as they say it will. But it always arrives eventually.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I spoke with my local guy, and he tells me that this whole thing is just as confusing for the dealers as it is for customer. They are scheduling a 2019 Bolt with the software update later this week just to test it before they begin scheduling others. If nobody else reports in with a direct dealer experience before then, I will post again with how it went for them.
As promised, some follow up. They did the software update today, and it went without a hitch. So it seems as though the hardest part of this whole process is going to be getting a dealer who is willing/knowledgeable/capable of doing it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
As promised, some follow up. They did the software update today, and it went without a hitch. So it seems as though the hardest part of this whole process is going to be getting a dealer who is willing/knowledgeable/capable of doing it.
Nice, now to just wait for the status to change on My.gm.ca!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I can confirm the snail mail was the letter from Chevrolet telling me about the software to limit to 80%. And, in bold w/underlining: THIS SOFTWARE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR YOUR 2019 VEHICLE. Schedule a service appointment at your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to have the software installed.

It is the same as the letter at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V560-5337.pdf. Mine was postmarked 11/19/21 and it arrived here in CA on 11/23/21.
Ok. I called the same dealer again and asked to speak to another person in service. They also saw on one system that the update is n/a but then they did tell me the update is available. The earliest they could squeeze me in was on Monday 11/29 which is a terrible day for me due to work. I'll be going on Wed 12/1.

They said sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Any change in the car's charging behavior or other? (outside of the obvious limit of 80%)

241 - 260 of 271 Posts