Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
190 Posts
Looks like someone reported on the Facebook group getting the November 2021 software for their 2019 Bolt... and it gave propulsion power reduced, a check-car light, an arrow pointing to 30% on the target charge screen, and OBD-II codes P1E00 and P0BBE.
I think this would be good news for that person, moving them up the waiting list?

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
How did that ever leave the dealership?
It's my understanding that the software does more continuous diagnosis, so it might well detect problems under dynamic conditions such as while the battery is under load due to acceleration or regen. In this case it may have detected an accumulation of small issues that added up and crossed some threshold.

The good news is that it's fingered the bad battery so that it can be replaced ASAP. In my mind identifying suspect batteries is the main reason for deploying this software, the bit about removing charging limitations I see as more like an incentive to get people to come in to have it installed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Looks like someone reported on the Facebook group getting the November 2021 software for their 2019 Bolt... and it gave propulsion power reduced, a check-car light, an arrow pointing to 30% on the target charge screen, and OBD-II codes P1E00 and P0BBE.
Doesn't instill confidence that the dealership installed the software correctly. Yeah, I'm guessing you're thinking that this means the battery is bad... that could be. It could also be that the dealership bricked the Bolt... or that the software is not stable in the first place. Frankly, I'm scared to get the update now!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Doesn't instill confidence that the dealership installed the software correctly. Yeah, I'm guessing you're thinking that this means the battery is bad... that could be. It could also be that the dealership bricked the Bolt... or that the software is not stable in the first place. Frankly, I'm scared to get the update now!
From what I can make out of the screenshots on page 5 of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-5443.pdf, it seems like it should be easy for the dealer tech to tell if each update succeeded. There are 3 checkboxes for each module being reprogrammed. Presumably, they'd all go green if the job is done right.

As for the software update itself being buggy... we'll see. My appointment is for this Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Part of this update is supposed to have a smart detection ability that can predict if it might catch fire. It isn't a simple percent limit. As with any update of software there could be some cars that could have issues. Normally on these deals there is a test at end to somewhat check load.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The car drove home fine but only threw codes etc. after some charging.

But it seems like this was a good outcome of installing the software. The customer was previously unknowingly driving with a higher risk battery that is now detected and prioritized for replacement.

However, there is one question remaining: suppose a car with this software has its battery replaced (whether because the software threw a bad battery code or because the car became eligible in the usual queue). In that case, is there another software update needed to remove the 80% limit, or are the new batteries somehow detectable by the software so that it can automatically remove the 80% limit?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Enslay is implying a false positive, which is a possibility if the software is buggy or whatever parameters they use are wrong/too cautious (too prone to flag a failure).
However, there is one question remaining: suppose a car with this software has its battery replaced (whether because the software threw a bad battery code or because the car became eligible in the usual queue). In that case, is there another software update needed to remove the 80% limit, or are the new batteries somehow detectable by the software so that it can automatically remove the 80% limit?
I'd imagine the reprogramming on pages 20 to 25 of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-2680.pdf is what removes the 80% limiter once the replacement pack is in.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Yep. Post is at
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevyboltevowners/posts/3006257229685883/
What I would like to know is if the owner had the previous software update applied... But as I mentioned before, I think getting bricked probably means the software is doing its job.

Also, is '80%' 16 bars (so 77%) or actually 80%?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Enslay is implying a false positive, which is a possibility if the software is buggy or whatever parameters they use are wrong/too cautious (too prone to flag a failure).

I'd imagine the reprogramming on pages 20 to 25 of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-2680.pdf is what removes the 80% limiter once the replacement pack is in.
Wouldn't a false positive still be a good thing in getting a replacement battery soon?

Also, it looks like pages 20-25 of the service instructions tell the car's computer to relearn the capacity. But wouldn't the software still only charge to 80% of what it thinks the capacity is?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Also, it looks like pages 20-25 of the service instructions tell the car's computer to relearn the capacity. But wouldn't the software still only charge to 80% of what it thinks the capacity is?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-2680.pdf (N212343881) calls for at least K114B HPCM2 and K16 BECM to be reprogrammed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-5443.pdf (N212343883) also calls for those 2 modules + K9 BCM to be reprogrammed.

I'm guessing the pack replacement w/reprogramming of at least K114B HPCM2 and K16 BECM should remove the 80% limiter by overwriting firmware that had the 80% limit.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ok. I called the same dealer again and asked to speak to another person in service. They also saw on one system that the update is n/a but then they did tell me the update is available. The earliest they could squeeze me in was on Monday 11/29 which is a terrible day for me due to work. I'll be going on Wed 12/1.

They said sorry for the confusion.
Ok. I'm in the dealer's waiting room now. Showed my letter and all about an hour ago. Service advisor didn't give me a hard time and seemed familiar with the job. He radioed someone to get my Bolt moved to get to a particular person to get 883 done.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Will you be able to park at work now?
The 883 update is done. Don't know. I'm about to send yet another email to the powers that be after no reply asking them, offering to provide a copy of my letter, what GM says we can do now and my receipt.

I can confirm that the the car will not let set target charge level above 80%. It basically gets bumped back down to the 80% mark.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,322 Posts
The 883 update is done. Don't know. I'm about to send yet another email to the powers that be after no reply asking them, offering to provide a copy of my letter, what GM says we can do now and my receipt.

I can confirm that the the car will not let set target charge level above 80%. It basically gets bumped back down to the 80% mark.
Good luck - I hope your employer is reasonable about this. You're following GM's official guidance now.

261 - 280 of 291 Posts