Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here know how to troubleshoot what might be wrong with my '04 CR-V - air conditioner not blowing cold air? Tried to simply add refrigerant but based on the pressure I think something else is going on. I have more details that can help if anyone has some knowledge on this. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see the clutch spinning but I don't think I hear the compressor working like it used to... hrmmmm.... suck... this is taking me away from Bolt Customization Time!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
A/C system is pretty simple... If you can see the compressor cycling (idler wheel always spins when engine is running but when clutch engages more of the pulley will begin to spin as well, assuming AC compressor is belt driven) then the electrical part of the system is functioning. If not you'll have to further electrical diagnostics to do. So if AC compressor is cycling and the compressor wheel is being driven when the clutch engages, then either the system is low on refrigerant or there's a plug somewhere preventing coolant from flowing. Compressor could be worn out internally and not building adequate pressure, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

I used one of these to add refrigerant (with UV responsive dye) to our '04 Mazda 3 back when we had it. I knew it was low on refrigerant and was expecting to have to be chasing down a leak, but it turns out that the leak was slow enough that it held adequate pressure for the year or so after the top up (until we sold it) that I never had the opportunity.

AC PRO GBM-4 R-134a Air Conditioning Pro Heavy Duty Charging Hose and Gauge

Filled until it read the correct pressure in the system. It's important to be checking pressure and adding refrigerant while the AC system is running (you're adding to the low pressure side) otherwise it will appear to have more pressure than it should. The instructions with the kit talk about that but it caught me up at first.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
A/C system is pretty simple... If you can see the compressor cycling (idler wheel always spins when engine is running but when clutch engages more of the pulley will begin to spin as well, assuming AC compressor is belt driven)...
Battery electric vehicles and hybrid electric vehicles have no "belt" to run the A/C compressor. In these cars, the A/C has to be able to function even when the motor or engine is stopped, so they use an electric motor to run the compressor. I haven't seen the configurations in all the different cars, but I expect that in most of them there's no obvious visual indication of whether the system is running or not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A/C system is pretty simple... If you can see the compressor cycling (idler wheel always spins when engine is running but when clutch engages more of the pulley will begin to spin as well....

Good luck, let us know how you make out.
I tried to use a can of sub zero add refrigerant but when hooking up to the low pressure valve the gauge dial shot around to the other side of the resting pin like a rocket. That's when I knew I had a problem. Visually inspected what I could... fuses and relays all good, clutch spinning, fan turning... Took it to a shop that offered a free inspection and was told the compressor is dead. In hindsight I remember that even though I saw the clutch spinning I never heard the compressor cycling like you mentioned Jost.

Shop wants $1250 to repair... hahaha... that's like 3 payments on our Bolt. I'm going to investigate how hard it is to replace myself. I think access is the main problem.

Thanks Jost.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
The OP was asking about the AC problems he's having with his ICE CRV.
Oh, OK. My fault I guess for not going upthread to re-read the original post. But with the number of threads I track on three different Bolt forums that's not really all that practicable.

Seems like an odd place to ask for that advice, though.... :confused:

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
... But with the number of threads I track on three different Bolt forums...
chevybolt.org, chevybolt.org, what's the 3rd one?

Dammit! They're editing text containing domain for the other guys again.... My Chevy bolt dot com was supposed to be the second domain name...

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
chevybolt.org, chevybolt.org, what's the 3rd one?
It's "gm-volt" dot com. They stared up a Bolt subsection before either of the other two forums got started. That's where I learned that the EVSE is 220V compatible, because the it's the same one that's delivered with the Volt and Volt owners have been adapting them to 220V outlets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts