Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/JLONG-20ft-J1772-extension-cable/dp/B01BE8WIBU

My biggest concern is not getting the full amperage at the end. I wonder if the car, or my Clipper Creek charger will detect this extension and downgrade the rate of charge. Anybody know? Too many times now I have found myself beyond the reach of the home's L2 charger. :|

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No, not that one. But, when faced with a trip to the rural mountains of Eastern WV, with NO charging stations, but several NEMA 14-50 outlets (and free electricity), I made a 10 foot extension of my own. At one end of a 10-2 w/ground cable I put a NEMA 14-50 plug, using the two "hot" prongs and leaving the neutral unconnected. At the other end I have a NEMA 6-50 receptacle. The total cost was < $40. I took my Siemens VersiCharge 30 amp EVSE with its 6-50 plug. After a 240 mile trip, with little charge left, I "filled up" overnight (at my destination, i.e. no "wait time") in ten hours.

There are literally thousands of NEMA 14-50 outlets all over the country. A nearby state park has no EVSE but 50 RV campsites with that 240V outlet. If a site is not reserved or occupied, they have stated (not in writing) that they will give an hour for free, and a 5 hour charge for $5 (125 mile gas equivalent is $12.50). If your home Level-2 EVSE is not hard-wired, an extension/adapter cord is a great investment.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not that one. But, when faced with a trip to the rural mountains of Eastern WV, with NO charging stations, but several NEMA 14-50 outlets (and free electricity), I made a 10 foot extension of my own. At one end of a 10-2 w/ground cable I put a NEMA 14-50 plug, using the two "hot" prongs and leaving the neutral unconnected. At the other end I have a NEMA 6-50 receptacle. The total cost was < $40. I took my Siemens VersiCharge 30 amp EVSE with its 6-50 plug. After a 240 mile trip, with little charge left, I "filled up" overnight (at my destination, i.e. no "wait time") in ten hours.

There are literally thousands of NEMA 14-50 outlets all over the country. A nearby state park has no EVSE but 50 RV campsites with that 240V outlet. If a site is not reserved or occupied, they have stated (not in writing) that they will give an hour for free, and a 5 hour charge for $5 (125 mile gas equivalent is $12.50). If your home Level-2 EVSE is not hard-wired, an extension/adapter cord is a great investment.
Yeah, I just need this at home from time to time. My L2 EVSE isn't really portable and it's bolted to the wall. I'm stuck with it's 25' cord. Sometimes I have to park further then 25' away. I guess few have this problem.

·
Registered
782 Posts
This should work fine for when you need it - you'll see a small drop in voltage but not amps ... I've not used one myself but that what happens with my nema 14-50 extension cord.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This portable charger seems like a decent option though it only gets to 16A max. At least we wouldn't need to lug around our L2 chargers from home. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
350 Posts
Your home is probably wired with 12-ga. wiring, and has a lot of runs that are longer than 40 feet.
Just go to a hardware store and buy a normal 12-ga. extension cord and plug your EVSE into that for 10% of the cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts