Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've let several friends drive my Bolt and they were very impressed by the interior room, fast EV acceleration and the price. Several have said they had switched their car hunt from ICE to now, an EV. And, these were folks who were seriously down the path of a new car purchase. So, one of my friends who was on track to buy a new BMW 3 series, after driving my Bolt, said BMW no more. I hadn't heard from him for a couple of weeks and checked in with him to find out that he has purchased a used Tesla (still 2x $$ a Bolt)! I was hoping he'd go the GM path, but at least it's still an EV. He's a techie guy who values all the extra features and, to be honest, it's a bit of a status statement for him. So, his turnaround from an ICE vehicle to an EV got me thinking about how your friends, colleagues and acquaintances react to the Bolt and if they actually have gone forwards with an EV purchase.

Still enjoying my Bolt and now solar PV system to help 'fill up the tank'.

·
Registered
69 Posts
They haven't bought yet

Have had several people in the car that have shown HUGE interest, but no buyers that I'm aware of yet. I think many are looking at me as the guinea pig to see how it works out for me before they jump onboard.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Everyone I have given rides or just showed the car off has been left with a positive impression. Nobody has bought any brand BEV yet that I know of, but I don't know anybody that is shopping for a car right now. Most people I know are not on revolving leases, or change out their cars on a whim. They wait until they think it's time for a change and everybody I know seem content with what they have for now. Still they like the Bolt and with the upcoming Model 3 and the buzz it will no doubt create, many may very well consider a BEV for the next new car.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
To turn someone away from a BMW to a GM product is a big deal!! Those guys are usually die hard enthusiasts so kudos to you ;)

I currently don't have one but I have tested one and every time a buddy talks about buying a new ICE, I voice my opinion!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
To turn someone away from a BMW to a GM product is a big deal!! Those guys are usually die hard enthusiasts so kudos to you ;)

I currently don't have one but I have tested one and every time a buddy talks about buying a new ICE, I voice my opinion!
Um, he didn't turn someone away from a BMW to a GM - they bought a Tesla.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, and my friend clarified the reasons he bought a Tesla over a Bolt

* He works in Silicon Valley and his colleagues who've bought Tesla's rave about them. This includes several role models and other folks he admires.

* Tesla is leading edge and takes risks. So he admires the company. Take note GM who sends out 'free oil changes' coupons to Bolt owners. See that thread...

* He wanted a performance car and the Tesla gives him that. I have to agree and may upgrade the tires on the Bolt for that very reason.

* The new Tesla program of re-certifying used cars brought the price point down to the BMW 3 series M model.

All pretty reasonable decisions if you are willing to pay the price difference.

--------

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
And blue isn't green. Fatcs, people.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Because I'm known among my friends as the car guy and subscribe to six car magazines, I'm often asked for opinions on new car purchases. I've told Camp Chevrolet they should put me on spiff because I spontaneously tell all my friends how much I love EVs and the Bolt in particular. No confirmed purchases from all this, but it will happen.

And yes, I almost bought a lease-return Tesla S for the same price as the new Bolt. However, we weren't interested in impressing anyone and didn't want a big sedan. The Bolt, Leaf and i3 are much better urban transit.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Really down to what an individual needs in a car regardless of demo drives. Tesla will always have that image of prestige attached to it thanks to being the first EV exclusive brand, and then there are those who really likes the Bolt for utility and performance. With how tech orientated Silicon Valley is, I can see why they went with Tesla instead.

·
Registered
182 Posts

I have 3 BMWs (owned them for 30 years) and a Hummer H3T. Not all of us Bimmer owners are Roundel snobs. :)

Dove the Volt in 2012 and loved it. Test drove the Bolt in March, really loved it, but my 3-series, at 325,000 miles is not yet of retirement age to "upgrade" to a Bolt. I have to say the new GM, since Cadillac has taken on the German establishment, has now really got the driving dynamics down. The Bolt (and Volt) has no need to drive as well as it does. Kudos to GM for making their EVs not boring to drive.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Because I'm known among my friends as the car guy and subscribe to six car magazines, I'm often asked for opinions on new car purchases. I've told Camp Chevrolet they should put me on spiff because I spontaneously tell all my friends how much I love EVs and the Bolt in particular. No confirmed purchases from all this, but it will happen.

And yes, I almost bought a lease-return Tesla S for the same price as the new Bolt. However, we weren't interested in impressing anyone and didn't want a big sedan. The Bolt, Leaf and i3 are much better urban transit.

jack vines
Welcome to the forums Packard! People often don't understand the beauty of small cars. Maneuverable, tight turning radius and easy to park are features that I personally highly value. I hear what you are saying about the Model S. It's just too big for me to drive on a daily basis.

BTW, do you own a Packard? I absolutely love most Packards. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
This weekend visiting friends - 4 test rides among 3 sets of people.

One set is likely buy an EV for ecological reasons... and not interested in waiting several years for a Tesla nor in a car with a smaller range than the Bolt.

Another set currently driving a BMW SUV and... they have had it with expense, gas, and perception that quality is slipping.

Third set, after their drive, probably decided to buy an EV rather than a Volt or Prius.

·
Registered
735 Posts
This weekend visiting friends - 4 test rides among 3 sets of people.

One set is likely buy an EV for ecological reasons... and not interested in waiting several years for a Tesla nor in a car with a smaller range than the Bolt.

Another set currently driving a BMW SUV and... they have had it with expense, gas, and perception that quality is slipping.

Third set, after their drive, probably decided to buy an EV rather than a Volt or Prius.
Always thought that Chevy could reach out to more people by doing test drives at public events and public locations like malls. Even if its just to get the message out there that EV's are still cool and so can being Green.

I remember they did this at some autoshows that happened earlier this year and late last year.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I can see why the second set if tired of driving a BMW SUV, if they have an older model those things will guzzle gas like no tomorrow. Source: once housed my friend's BMW SUV for a month and was allowed to drive it whenever I wanted.
A Bolt in comparison would seem like pennies when it comes to fuel prices.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We have two BMW's, a 330i and a 325ix.... IMO the Bolt is more fun to drive than either of the BMW's.
Yes, the rear wheel drive 330i handles very well- but the Bolt is just as peppy, it's quieter and I feel the Bolt has better brakes.
The rear wheel drive 330i sucks in the snow!
The BMW seats are more comfy.
Even the 3-Series suck down (Premium grade) gas!
The Bolt AC works way better than either of the BMW's AC's.

As a daily driver- I prefer the Bolt over the BMW's.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I bought (in Maryland) "one of the first" Bolts to "live in" WV. A WV GM dealer I visited prior to purchase said they could "order" one (not until September, delivery not until December) but would not ever be "carrying" them. After my purchase I emailed the WV dealer to thank them for discussing it with me and offer (since I am retired) to bring it over (<20 miles) if any potential Bolt buyers came in to inquire. NO RESPONSE! I guess they are not for EVs (OR for GM) but only for the fast sale and easy buck!

Tesla cannot sell in WV (by law) but goes out of their way to accommodate and, therefore, sells (in Ohio) MANY Teslas to WV owners/lessors.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There are bad dealers and good dealers, some have salespeople that are more accommodating than others even if they don't make as much from an EV sale. That's fine, you'll probably inspire more potential buyers (friends, family, interested strangers) to get a Bolt just by offering them a test ride than the dealership will.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
I had a random guy stop me at a StarBucks and ask a bunch of questions, says he was considering replacing his Smart For2 with EV but from what I gathered that he had a somewhat incomplete picture. After about 10min of looking around and chatting he left very impressed, had pictures and info to take back to his wife. Too bad for him all the 2017's are spoken for in BC, but good chance he'll be a 2018 Bolt owner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
About 30 of my co-workers have a Bolt (including me). I see 7-8 everyday at work.
Wow! I was going to say that you must work at GM. It's interesting that you are seeing such adoption at your place of work, but there are so many that are sitting in the Chevy dealership lots. Why do you think so many of your co-workers chose the Bolt? Is it something about the nature of your workers (such as commuting from Livermore or further) that sees such high adoption? I am beginning to see more of them in the Los Gatos area. I'm actually glad not to have a Tesla because 'everyone has one'. Having a Bolt makes you stand out a bit more. After 3 months and 3000 miles, I'm still happy with mine but as mentioned when I showed it to a colleague, they switched from an impending BMW M3 purchase to a Tesla. It wasn't the reaction I was expecting but more EVs are a good thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts