Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
85 Posts
I agree with you. I was going to buy a used car and the prices on those this year were around 20K when I saw the big sale on the bolt. I wanted an EV for a while but at high 30's there was no way I was buying one. Would like better seats and a adaptive cruise and a more stylish look but everything else is pretty great.
Yeah, the seats are my biggest complaint. Aside from that, for the price, the 2021 Bolt could not be beat!

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
85 Posts
It's funny everyone gripes about the seats, and it made me real apprehensive about them. But I find them comfortable and I spent hours at time sitting in them on the trip to North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I really like our new 2022 Bolt EV. Gotta say. Prior car was the stellar Chevy Volt. The Volt was essentially an EV with infinite range, so the Bolt will be a new limited range experience.
I wouldn't characterize a Volt as "EV with infinite range". A Volt is a short range EV with a quick gasoline refueling option.

The Bolt refuels slower. Technically that's not a range limitation.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Roger that. I understand many folks don't buy into my idea that the Volt as an "EV with unlimited range", like most of my beliefs that one too is not widely held, lol, but I think you can make the argument that it was, particularly from a perspective of daily user/customer experience. It was a full-on EV but had no limit to how far you could drive today before stopping to charge the battery.

Unrelated but it also had an insanely good 8/100k Voltec warranty, on like every single part, bolt, and wire of the HV Voltec electric system, dang. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a "new" 2020 Bolt Premier and I can honestly say after driving it I'm not impressed by the 2022 refresh.

I jokingly tell people that the my Bolt was affectionately crafted by nerds. It's got a wonky dash that jets out in the center, textured panels, and an LED strip at night. I find it awesome.

The 2022 interior looks... Normal. When I see it, I don't see anything unique left. It looks like a bog standard Buick interior. It doesn't look original or appealing to me. Other than the new tech on the EUV and glass roof, it's the same car but now with more drab.

You can also bet there won't be any incentives for quite awhile... You can get a Premier 2020 or 2021 for less than a 2022 LT; by a wide margin.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
85 Posts
I just bought a "new" 2020 Bolt Premier and I can honestly say after driving it I'm not impressed by the 2022 refresh.

I jokingly tell people that the my Bolt was affectionately crafted by nerds. It's got a wonky dash that jets out in the center, textured panels, and an LED strip at night. I find it awesome.

The 2022 interior looks... Normal. When I see it, I don't see anything unique left. It looks like a bog standard Buick interior. It doesn't look original or appealing to me. Other than the new tech on the EUV and glass roof, it's the same car but now with more drab.

You can also bet there won't be any incentives for quite awhile... You can get a Premier 2020 or 2021 for less than a 2022 LT; by a wide margin.
Good points. I like this perspective. Our Bolts may have been ‘crafted by nerds’ (haha), but they do have a unique personality. The ‘normalized’ 2022 model has lost some of that character.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Savvy EV buyers by now have heard that the tax credit (and a big one at that) may well return. A big reason to stand pat and await further developments.
I'm with you, I'm waiting to see what happens with the tax credit. If Tesla gets a 10K tax credit and doesn't raise their prices, it is going to make them really hard to beat. The MachE credit would stay at 7500 since it is assembled in Mexico, but wouldn't have to worry about it running out in the next year or two. The Bolt and the Lightning would get 12.5K since they are union built in the US. Haven't seen much on the status of the bill since it left the Senate Committee.

To answer the original question, I'm much like everyone else, I wouldn't trade my 2017 w/27K miles that I bought for 16.5K for a new vehicle. I think it is by far the best value in EVs for an around town car. I am definitely considering the EUV, particularly for the adaptive cruise control, but will probably get something that can charge faster (Kia EV6?).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm waiting to find out where I'm going to be living in a couple months. If we move, I'll have to pull the trigger sooner; if we stay, I can wait a bit. Either way, as much as I dislike bribery extortion blackmail government tax incentives on principle, I'm going to wait until they're finalized before I make my decision. Earliest purchase looks like end-of-year regardless.

A 2022 EV or EUV is probably the front-runner if we move, or an older Bolt if we stay. But all bets are off if Ford releases an EV Maverick by then...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm with you, I'm waiting to see what happens with the tax credit. If Tesla gets a 10K tax credit and doesn't raise their prices, it is going to make them really hard to beat. The MachE credit would stay at 7500 since it is assembled in Mexico, but wouldn't have to worry about it running out in the next year or two. The Bolt and the Lightning would get 12.5K since they are union built in the US. Haven't seen much on the status of the bill since it left the Senate Committee.

To answer the original question, I'm much like everyone else, I wouldn't trade my 2017 w/27K miles that I bought for 16.5K for a new vehicle. I think it is by far the best value in EVs for an around town car. I am definitely considering the EUV, particularly for the adaptive cruise control, but will probably get something that can charge faster (Kia EV6?).
And, the proposal you are referring to from Michigan Senator Debbie Stabnow, if it were passed, I believe it at least currently says that the tax benefit returns to include those who purchase GM and Tesla vehicles starting as of May 24th 2021. Now it appears the Republican Party is fighting hard to stop all pro EV tax initiatives and instead work to increase taxes on EVs, so seems like a long shot for Stabnow's proposed plan to get passed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not enough improvements to make me trade my 2019 Premier. I am leaning towards a Mustang Mach e for various reasons, including larger cargo capacity and longer battery range
I'm getting a check from GM within the next week for my '19 Bolt.

So the question is what do I buy? The answer is what the check will be.
I have a '21 Premier being held for me. Or a '22 'LT1 coming in next week.
I prefer the '21 Premier because it's heavily discounted less than the '22 and pretty much the same car. The LT2 has the same options as the Premier.
I also don't like the push button gear selector and the all black interior of the '22. And that split color grille in front--a minor issue.

·
Registered
212 Posts
And, the proposal you are referring to from Michigan Senator Debbie Stabnow, if it were passed, I believe it at least currently says that the tax benefit returns to include those who purchase GM and Tesla vehicles starting as of May 24th 2021. Now it appears the Republican Party is fighting hard to stop all pro EV tax initiatives and instead work to increase taxes on EVs, so seems like a long shot for Stabnow's proposed plan to get passed.
Biden is pushing rebates for electric GM and Ford cars made by Union workers. They are talking about $10-12K rebates. Trying to push sales. No mention of Tesla.
The Republicans are digging themselves a hole if they oppose legislation to help the middle class consumer and the auto workers.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Yeah, the real change is with the EUV. A foot longer and more expensive. Plus a sunroof option which takes the car to $40K or so.
The base LT1 is priced about the same as the discounted '21 Premier. The LT2 is the Premier equivalent, about $3K more. In the mid 30s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Biden is pushing rebates for electric GM and Ford cars made by Union workers. They are talking about $10-12K rebates. Trying to push sales. No mention of Tesla.
The Republicans are digging themselves a hole if they oppose legislation to help the middle class consumer and the auto workers.
Right. But the maybe the most interesting of about three different EV tax credit proposals/bills floating around in Congress right now may be the version from Sen. Debbie Stabenow of Michigan. Yep, that's the one that makes the existing $7500 incentive into a tax rebate (easier to get it), adds up to $5000 more on top, and applies to Tesla too. And the tax incentives would last until 50% of all cars on the road in the US are EVs. Actually I think it literally begins to phase out only after 50% are EVs.
-> Stabenow bill to boost EV tax credits to $12,500 passes Senate panel

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Now it appears the Republican Party is fighting hard to stop all pro EV tax initiatives and instead work to increase taxes on EVs, so seems like a long shot for Stabnow's proposed plan to get passed.
Where do you get this information? I haven't seen anything further since the committee news.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where do you get this information? I haven't seen anything further since the committee news.

"When could the bill be passed?
The bill currently has twenty-five co-signers, which aside from Independent Senator Angus King, are all Democrats. During the Senate Finance committee hearing, Republicans voiced their opposition and in the end, the measure on whether to bring the bill to a vote passed along a party-line vote.

Senator Lindsey Graham of South Caroline argued that major us automakers have already stated that by 2035 their fleets will be electric adding that “To my Republican colleagues, it’s just a matter of time until most cars … will be running on something other than gasoline.” Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana argued that working-class families are not buying electric vehicles and that federal funds should not be used to subsidize consumers who do not need the support. Senator Stabenow pushed back on these remarks highlighting that the pre-sale data for electric trucks shows that demand is high across income groups.

With Republican support in short supply, the chances of the legislation passing in the Senate are scarce with the filibuster in place. While Senate leadership could use a parliamentary tool known as budget reconciliation to pass the legislation, there is only a finite number of times a bill can be passed this way. The administration may push the Senate to use the budget reconciliation process, which only requires a simple majority on a bigger piece of legislation like the American Jobs Plan."

"Help pay by user fees... for electric vehicles..."
"Whether to raise taxes is perhaps the biggest dividing line. To help pay for their plan, the Republicans would instead rely on user fees, including for electric vehicles, and on redirecting unspent federal dollars."

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That's a bit old news. I thought there was something new going on. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Right. But the maybe the most interesting of about three different EV tax credit proposals/bills floating around in Congress right now...
I figure the Stabenow bill is the standard negotiating tactic asking for twice what you'll finally settle for.
What I need right now isn't a better EV, it's a better charging infrastructure. Bolt is my only ride at the moment and I've got long trips to do.

Reactions: luckie

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I figure the Stabenow bill is the standard negotiating tactic asking for twice what you'll finally settle for.
I'm thinking that maybe some anti-Elon politicians will keep Tesla from qualifying. There'll probably be several other pro this group and anti that group changes before it's done.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts