Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running the A/C for awhile, if I turn off the A/C and just let the fans blow through the vents, I'll get a foul smelling odor that you get when the A/C doesn't drain the water properly. A couple of times, I turned up the fans to maximum and was able to feel water on the vent slats themselves. I suspect a blocked drain hose or something like that and was wondering if anyone else has this problem or a solution.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
That can just be condensation on the evaporator fins, which is normal for all A/C units. The water beads up until there's enough of it to fall off - but it's a continuous process and there will almost always some water on them while the A/C is on if there's any humidity. If the humidity is higher than normal then the smell may be stronger than you're used to. It should go away fairly quickly when you turn off the A/C as the condensation evaporates in the airflow. If it stays around for a while then you've got a problem.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not sure how well this works, but I've heard that you can eliminate the condensation problem if you turn off the A/C around 2 minutes before you shut off the Bolt but leave the fan on to dry off the system.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Not sure how well this works, but I've heard that you can eliminate the condensation problem if you turn off the A/C around 2 minutes before you shut off the Bolt but leave the fan on to dry off the system.
^ Yes, that is the recommended procedure for preventing mold growth on the evaporator fins.
One of my previous vehicles- 2012 Prius was notorious for this issue... if you didn't run the fan for a few min w/o the AC on before retiring the car for the night... you got mold and the nasty stench.
My first 2012 Prius developed the mold issue, but when I got the 2012 Plug-in-Prius I always ran the fan for a few min after AC use and it never developed the problem.

There is actually a foaming evaporator cleaner kit (Amazon link below) you can get to remove the mold if it's already formed.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-96030-Evaporator-Heater-Cleaner/dp/B0007PHD0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496758263&sr=8-1&keywords=automotive+AC+evaporator+cleaner+foam[/ame]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts