Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I love most of this car. There are two main things that annoy me though, and I do feel they are bugs or glitches. Is anyone else experiencing these?

1) Android Auto glitch-y functionality (this post will focus on this)
2) Strange "L" mode and steering wheel brake functionality. Sometimes the wheel brake does nothing whatsoever. It does not further decelerate the car like it should. Also sometimes L mode also does not slow the car as much as it should, however I notice this was covered by another post.
Actually once I noticed the steering wheel buttons were not backlight and none of the functionalities worked (volume, tune etc...) so maybe there is a loose wire? This hasn't happened other than the 1 time so maybe the issue resolved itself. However I am fairly certain this is an electronic steering vehicle so I wonder if power loss to the steering wheel would hinder my ability to turn?

Anyways on to issue 1.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I also notice that another user here can't even get Android Auto to work at all.
Mines works, but it's very glitchy.
About 90% of the time when I make a call, all of the audio will drop within the first 5 seconds of the call. Then SOMETIMES after ~ 10 seconds, the audio will come back on. I also get an accompanying message "Bluetooth disconnected" and then "Bluetooth reconnected". However most of the time the audio just drops and never comes back.
This is very annoying as I currently can't make calls! I think what happens is, in the middle of the call, the phone disconnects from the Bluetooth and the phone then continues on the handset (which obviously is illegal to talk through). Also since Android auto steals my screen, I can't even turn on "speaker mode" on my phone.
Another thing to note is if I am not hooked into Android Auto, phone calls work just fine through the car's innate software.
Also, this is very random, but maybe half of the times that I try to make a call, after I hang-up, the volume of my music is turned onto MAX for a split second. You can imagine this is very shocking and probably not good for my ears. This has also scared my children and some passengers. This is a really strange behavior and I have no idea how to explain it.
Lastly, and this isn't specifically related to android auto, sometimes the navigation and volume functions on the wheel do not work. I have not extensively tested this to see if it matters what screen or any other factors that may change the buttons' functionality.

Oh and one last thing I wanted to clarify... does the car have stand-alone GPS navigation or is it reliant on my phone + android auto? If it is reliant, I find it strange that this high tech of a car does not have a standalone GPS Navigation system.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I can't address the other issues, but the Bolt has no built-in nav capabilities unless you pay for the OnStar turn-by-turn navigation.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
2) Strange "L" mode and steering wheel brake functionality. Sometimes the wheel brake does nothing whatsoever. It does not further decelerate the car like it should. Also sometimes L mode also does not slow the car as much as it should, however I notice this was covered by another post.
If the battery is full or almost full then it can't accept a full amount of regen power and therefore regen will be diminished. If this is an issue for you then you can use "Hilltop Reserve" charging which will charge the battery to only around 90% or so. That will give it enough room to let you use the full amount of regen all the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had similar issues with Android Auto. The odd thing though is my wife and I both have the same phone (Nexus 6p with 7.1.2) and her phone works flawlessly. She never has bluetooth dropping out and Android Auto plays music and navigates with no glitches. My phone is very similar to your experience where when the bluetooth connection drops the audio drops by 20 levels. To compensate I turn up the volume, but when bluetooth reconnects the audio goes back up 20 levels. I agree it's very frustrating.

I've never had issues with the volume function on the wheel not working. I do find that the up arrow to play the next song is sometimes unresponsive with my phone. My wife's phone though, no issues. We've had our Bolt since January and I started to notice my issues about 2 months ago.

Android Auto version: 2.3.716604

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just took delivery of a new Bolt. Android Auto seems to work fine on it with my Samsung S7, but has problems with my wife's Moto G Play. Both are running the same version of Android (6). The Moto seems to work fine when first connected, but if I disconnect it (by shutting off the car or unplugging the USB cable) and try to reconnect, the phone says that Android Auto has started up but the car does not think it's connected. If I reboot the Moto and plug it in, it works again. These tests were performed with the car parked. I don't know if either phone will have problems when I try to use it for navigation for an extended period of time.

Has anyone else tried Android Auto with the Bolt on a Moto?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just took delivery of a new Bolt. Android Auto seems to work fine on it with my Samsung S7, but has problems with my wife's Moto G Play. Both are running the same version of Android (6). The Moto seems to work fine when first connected, but if I disconnect it (by shutting off the car or unplugging the USB cable) and try to reconnect, the phone says that Android Auto has started up but the car does not think it's connected. If I reboot the Moto and plug it in, it works again. These tests were performed with the car parked. I don't know if either phone will have problems when I try to use it for navigation for an extended period of time.

Has anyone else tried Android Auto with the Bolt on a Moto?
Not with a Moto, but with a Marshmallow (6) phone (HTC). Check your USB settings. On my phone, it defaults back to charge mode after every session, and AA needs it to be in MTP mode to work properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried forcing it into MTP mode using developer options and it still seemed to behave in the same way. Did yours sense the USB connection and automatically start Android Auto? Mine starts up Android Auto but the car doesn't see it as connected. If I reboot the phone then reconnect it, it works.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I tried forcing it into MTP mode using developer options and it still seemed to behave in the same way. Did yours sense the USB connection and automatically start Android Auto? Mine starts up Android Auto but the car doesn't see it as connected. If I reboot the phone then reconnect it, it works.
It does start automatically for me. There is a setting inside AA for auto launch of bluetooth, and auto turn-on of bluetooth, but these don't sound like the problem you are seeing.

One thing I'd mention is that on my Nougat devices, you can't always trust the USB mode setting in the developers screen. I use this for putting movies on my tablets, and often it would show "MTP", but the Android File Transfer program (you need that on a Mac) still couldn't connect. I had to set it to Charge Mode, and then back to MTP for it to actually be in MTP mode.

When you look at your home screen on the bolt, has the "Projection" icon been replaced with "Android Auto". If it has, and you press that icon, does it connect?

I have to say that this system is a flaky. Between the support in the car for AA, the app on the device, vendor modifications to Android, the support in the phone for AA and the support in the phone for BT and USB, there are a ton of variables, and little ownership. I primarily use a Nexus 6p (running 7.1.2), and it was terribly flaky (BT connection drops) for calls, but maps and music always worked right. Since disabling the WiFi hotspot in the car, the BT problems have gone away, and the AA support has been flawless, and for me it's great. The voice recognition does everything I need for making calls, navigating, and handling text messages. It really is hands free. Yes, the wasted band of screen real estate around the edge annoys me, but it's still a much bigger display than I would have otherwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did some experimenting and found that AA on the Moto works OK if I don't unplug the phone until the car has shut down... power off and driver door open. If I do that and have the Moto plugged into the USB port when I power the car up again, the 10" screen starts out with AA displayed. If I then unlock the phone, AA launches and everything seems to work.

I took a short drive using Google Maps and it worked fine. It even has the characteristic that the audio from Google Maps can be heard when the radio is muted. However moving the volume knob un-mutes the radio and requires pushing the mute/power button again. It's quirky, but works. I'm hoping the system gets better over time as updates to the car firmware, Android, and AA are released. The Bolt is much closer to being a self propelled mobile computer than a car :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts