Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let the ice melt and then chipped most of it away before I took a pic (whoops) but this should be self explanatory (dark parts were pretty solid ice):

Water Automotive tire Road surface Wood Grey

Do our batteries reach temp on highway speeds needing to open these puppies up? Just seems kind of scary freezing a moving part, no matter what it's for.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
330 Posts
I haven't been able to find what the values are in terms of temp or driving conditions. The EUVs have an issue where at around 60 (40 mph) and right around the freezing mark there is an annoying vibration / resonating sounds which seems to be the shutters closing and the redirected air is causing something to vibrate. Anyway not related to your issue but for me, I can very easily tell when they ae open or closed and it kind of seems to be around 0 (32). The noise seems to be constant so it doesn't seem like the shutters are opening and closing intermittently but it seems that at some temp they just close. I haven't looked close enough when it is parked to see if they open when it is shut off?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not certain but I would expect this to happen to every Bolt in cold weather at some point. It would seem like it's 100% going to happen in freezing sleet/rain while driving or windy freezing sleet/rain while parked.

My gut tells me we'd have heard about it by now if it were a problem but was just like, "hmm, that part of the car doesn't normally stay frozen after warming up, let me look.. .oooo my vents!"

·
Registered
330 Posts
Agreed. They use the same shutters on a number of vehicles and I would assume on an ICE they may need to cycle but I've never heard of a problem there either.

Reactions: RacerX00

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed. They use the same shutters on a number of vehicles and I would assume on an ICE they may need to cycle but I've never heard of a problem there either.
Yes but the ICE vehicles have a couple hundred of those Farenheits and Celsiuses right there to melt it away before it becomes a problem. I would not be surprised if this is something we hear about infrequently if they really do need to open up in sub-freezing temps. Curious to see how it fails when stuck.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes, agreed in city traffic....I was more thinking steady rural or hwy drives.
Regardless, still an interesting question.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,106 Posts
I don't think it would be an issue. Just the other day the entire front of my car, from the bottom to above the license plate was covered in wet snow that packed in tight and froze overnight. I still drove it that day with it completely frozen over and waited for it to melt. I didn't hear any funny noises or get any alerts.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to make a wild guess that, if it is cold enough for ice to stay on the shutter, you don't need to worry about your high power electronics overheating. ;)
I'm not worried about them overheating, I'm worried about an ideal temperature being 70F and the car trying to maintain that while discharging and saying, "hey I could use 10 seconds of cold air right now" and trying to modulate the vent and then it breaking the motor for the vents or something like that.

Really, not worried, just something I was like, "huh, that's interesting" as I was chipping away my 90 mile @ 80% ranged EV in 10F 😁

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,106 Posts
I'm not worried about them overheating, I'm worried about an ideal temperature being 70F and the car trying to maintain that while discharging and saying, "hey I could use 10 seconds of cold air right now" and trying to modulate the vent and then it breaking the motor for the vents or something like that.

Really, not worried, just something I was like, "huh, that's interesting" as I was chipping away my 90 mile @ 80% ranged EV in 10F 😁
With the amount of open areas and air flow that gets in (even with those vents closed) I would be very surprised if the car needed more cold air in temps that low. If anything I expect the heater to be on trying to warm things up versus cool them down.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,057 Posts
trying to modulate the vent and then it breaking the motor for the vents or something like that.
Perhaps GM engineers are as dumb as a rock, but I hope they are smart enough to think, "These could freeze shut. I think we need a slipper clutch, or a software load limit on the motor."

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps GM engineers are as dumb as a rock, but I hope they are smart enough to think, "These could freeze shut. I think we need a slipper clutch, or a software load limit on the motor."
If you've ever listened to Elon Musk talk about how design and manufacturing decisions are made amongst groups of engineers, it's not that I'd say that they're dumb as a rocks, I'd say things like this are overlooked all the time just as much as really good thinking brings us the product to begin with. I saw him on an interview recently talk about how there was some shielding between the batteries and the passenger compartment on the Model 3 that one group thought was for fire mitigation and another group thought was for sound dampening and it turned it out did nothing for either when he forced testing to get to the bottom of it and they pulled it from the car and it never came up again.

I think engineers are just like everyone else, really smart one on one but make more boneheaded mistakes/decisions as the group gets larger.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Don’t auto manufacturers test their cars in all kinds of climate conditions? This is such an obvious problem I find it hard to believe it went unnoticed. If they did, heads should roll!
Be grateful it is not the pitot tube.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,057 Posts
I think engineers are just like everyone else, really smart one on one but make more boneheaded mistakes/decisions as the group gets larger.
GM has this "Active Aero Shutters Technology" on many of their vehicles, including the Spark EV from 2013-2016, before the Bolt came out. If there was a problem, I would think it would have been addressed by now.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
390 Posts
My other car is a 2011 Cruze Eco MT, which has active grill shutters. They cycle once every time I start to drive the car. I can easily hear them. I've never heard them on our Bolt.

The active grill shutters on my Cruze have been working fine for over 10 years now, and I live in Minnesota. OTOH they obviously have the benefit of heat from the radiator behind them.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eh, whatever, still disconcerting to warm up your car and find solid ice where you're used to seeing something that's "chilling" at 200F in that specific area for your whole life. 😁

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
390 Posts
If you've ever listened to Elon Musk talk about how design and manufacturing decisions are made amongst groups of engineers, it's not that I'd say that they're dumb as a rocks, I'd say things like this are overlooked all the time just as much as really good thinking brings us the product to begin with. I saw him on an interview recently talk about how there was some shielding between the batteries and the passenger compartment on the Model 3 that one group thought was for fire mitigation and another group thought was for sound dampening and it turned it out did nothing for either when he forced testing to get to the bottom of it and they pulled it from the car and it never came up again.

It looks like the engineers figured out this one. Reading further in a separate article, it sounds like if you have an obstruction like ice, the worst that would happen is a blown fuse for the shutters. I agree with others about not worrying about them being closed if it's that cold out. Maybe once all the ice is gone, checking the fuse wouldn't be a bad idea.
Font Circle Rectangle Magenta Number

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like the engineers figured out this one. Reading further in a separate article, it sounds like if you have an obstruction like ice, the worst that would happen is a blown fuse for the shutters. I agree with others about not worrying about them being closed if it's that cold out. Maybe once all the ice is gone, checking the fuse wouldn't be a bad idea. View attachment 39762

Heyy, from GM's mouth, nice. Freeze away little shutters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts