Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people have put up their own residences on PlugShare that apparently are available to EV drivers to plug in. Has anyone ever done this, either shared their residence or plugged in at a residence found on PlugShare?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've plugged my VX-1 motorcycle in at a Plugshare residence, and also offered my house, with no takers. (Probably because I only have L-1 and 120 volt outlets.) It was a nice experience talking to another EV driver.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The most important things with Plugshare charges are to contact the person in advance (days if possible) and to not make things difficult for them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
And pay for what you use, my home has been used many times as a courtesy in years past because there was no charging station within 20+ miles, sometimes people offer to reimburse the electrical cost, and that was much appreciated especially during the high daytime rates.

The most important things with Plugshare charges are to contact the person in advance (days if possible) and to not make things difficult for them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Most people will turn down an offer of payment, but it's certainly good manners to make that offer, especially in high rate areas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the tips of calling ahead, and offering to pay.

I think this is perhaps the coolest thing about the EV community. It's nice to know there are still people out there who will help a total stranger in need, and even offer their help before they know anyone needs help.

Do you guys have any stories about the people you have met, perhaps interesting people, interesting cars, interesting excursions they were on?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've only used PlugShare once, with another couple of times scheduled as backups that I didn't use. Upstate NY isn't exactly a Hotbed of EV adventurism.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
I've had a few visitors borrow my charger at my house over four years. One was Brian Kent on his cross-country Leaf tour.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is completely new to me and I have no idea what it is. Seems pretty straight forward.. residence offer to share their outlets and charging stations for random people to use. But is it like houses on a map that you just roll up to or how does it work exactly? And this is all free correct?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to plugshare.com, and sign up. You can then see the residences on a map. You can click on those to get the address, charger type, and contact information. While most people don't charge money for the charge, it is good etiquette to offer to pay. You also want to contact the person prior to arriving.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to plugshare.com, and sign up (very easy). Then go to the map. You will see residences that offer charging. You can filter on this if you want over on the right side of the map (uncheck all but "Residence"). Click on a residence, and you will see the address, charger type, and contact info.

While most people don't charge, it is good etiquette to offer to pay. You will also want to contact the person ahead of time, rather than showing up unannounced.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I've had a few visitors borrow my charger at my house over four years. One was Brian Kent on his cross-country Leaf tour.
No idea who he is, but I assume some sort of singer or actor if he's worth mentioning. Pretty cool to have someone famous drop vy.

This is completely new to me and I have no idea what it is. Seems pretty straight forward.. residence offer to share their outlets and charging stations for random people to use. But is it like houses on a map that you just roll up to or how does it work exactly? And this is all free correct?
Some chargers on plugshare.com is listed with a charge fee and some aren't. If you're not sure about the residential ones, best to call ahead.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you have the lead time, email them through Plugshare instead of calling. That lets them read and respond at their convenience, and you can always call for the final confirmation.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Oh how that plays on all too well, planting "trees" in a Nissan "leaf", I love it. Marketing at it's finest lol. But thanks for the breakdown of what this is all about and some good tips on proper etiquette. This is something that definitely needs to make it to my app arsenal.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I've thought about listing mine since I have a house 1 mile from I-5, and 3 miles from I-205. The EVSE is located in my garage though, and is only capable of 2.9 kW (converted Leaf charger). At $0.08/kWh, I wouldn't bother collecting reimbursement. A full Bolt charge would only be about $4.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I've thought about listing mine since I have a house 1 mile from I-5, and 3 miles from I-205. The EVSE is located in my garage though, and is only capable of 2.9 kW (converted Leaf charger). At $0.08/kWh, I wouldn't bother collecting reimbursement. A full Bolt charge would only be about $4.

I listed my small-paddle inductive charger on a sharing website long ago. I had one taker in ten years. I let him plug in his RAV4-EV while parked in my driveway, and then I shuttled him (in my RAV4-EV) to a wedding reception in downtown HB, a couple of miles away. His smiles and thanks were the only compensation I needed.

Pay it forward, baby! :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Our PlugShare Listing

We put our place up on PlugShare as soon as our EVSE was installed in late 2014. We've had one person stop by occasionally, John Rowell of EVSE Adapters.

We've also had a half dozen people call or email about using it. They typically just needed a helping hand and didn't really need to stop here to charge. The last was a Model 3 driver who was unaware that there's a DCFC station downtown at the Federal Credit Union. That was a bit surprising.

We've used one PlugShare EVSE site in Ridgecrest, California that still has no, that is NO, public charging even in 2019! And we are likely to use it again in a few months if no public chargers are installed to get to Death Valley from Bakersfield.

Paul

1 - 20 of 24 Posts