Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you pull the metal key out of the fob and try to lock the doors manually, you may notice something you'd previously overlooked. There is no cylinder to turn!? There is a small slot on the bottom of the driver's door handle, but how does it work? My key only goes in about half way, and doesn't turn. What am I missing?

·
Registered
106 Posts
That slot you stuck the key in is the access to "Open the handle and pry the cover off". You'll find the cylinder underneath. Once you open the door you need to snap the cover back on.

This information can be found on pg. 42 of the manual.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That feature is now found on may cars as a backup when the fob's internal cell fails, so you can open the driver's door. And most also have a key slot inside the console (or on the steering column) so you can also start the car mechanically. Ohers just need the fob placed inside a specifc space such that the fob is detected by the car's system and the car can start.

But these are emergency solutions, so be careful when that happens. I recommend reading that section in the owner manual and doing a practice run, then teach other family drivers the same procedure, so when the emergency happens, no one gets into a panic.

Same care goes to lock the car if the fob's cell is bad. My 2009 Chevy Equinox has electric door locks near the handles, and I can lock the vehicle manually without using the fob. I do it often and lenghten the fob cell life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just wanted to thank you guys for this thread. I was parked in a 15 minute zone outside of the bank, and I could NOT get the door open with keyless entry or the remote button. I have no idea what happened. This car is exactly 1 month old.

Anyway, I took the key out of the remote, pried the little plastic thing loose, jumped in the car, and suddenly it starts acting like I'm trying to steal it. I remembered having read in the manual about pulling the plastic holder out of the center console, and placing the remote in the little slots cut out for it. That made the alarm stop going off, and I was able to start the car and drive back to work.

Whats weird is, the remote seems to be working now, and I can even use it from a really far distance, so it doesn't appear to be a dead battery in the remote. I'm baffled.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, and thanks for suggesting that we become familiar with this, because I did, and it helped.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The key fob is just an RFID chip, with a battery booster that gives it a range of about 10 meters. Even if the battery goes totally dead, the chip still works. Just a shorter distance.

The RFID chip on all Best Buy iPhones doesn't have a battery. But it will still trip a siren if you walk out of the store without paying. The juice that powers the chip is in the scanner at the store entrance.

Car scanners, not as powerful because they would drain the battery, are usually located in the center console or behind the start button. If your car didn't start, it was probably a scanner blip, not the fob.

Also the battery is extremely cheap and easy to replace. Modern cars should give you a heads up before the fob's battery dies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Video showing how to use physical key on Bolt (and more)

This video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFYhMcnynE - shows how to use the physical key to get in your Bolt if the key fob fails, and how to start your Bolt if it reports that your key fob isn't present (but it actually is). Since these may be the result of a dead key fob battery, it also shows how to replace the battery.

My apologies that the silly ChevyBolt forum won't let me post that video as an actual link...

-Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts