Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone brought up a good point. The Bolt has so many new gadgets and whatnot, if anything were to break outside of the warranty period it's going to be expensive to repair or replace. Did anyone get extended warranty?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Good question. As a rule I don’t buy extended warranties. How much would it cost to replace say, the 8” screen or the 10” screen ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
At the last moment in the buying process, I caved and got it. I have never done so in the past, but my history is to keep cars (Mustang 41 years) Jetta (13 years) and there are a lot of unknowns for the Bolt. Some parts have an 8 year warranty, others not. I wish I had done more research on this issue. Only time will tell. It was $2900 for 7 years and 55,000 miles. ( I don't plan to drive a lot, just often.) So study up before you get in that room with the finance guy. I wonder how the suspension on the Bolt will hold up. It is about 3400 pounds and a small car, because of the battery. A full size Accura TL weighs about the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the EV Bolt and was hard sold into buying the extended warranty. Now I am having buyers remorse because I drove a Leaf for 6 years with no issues. The salesman countered that technology has become ever more complex and expensive so it would be prudent to have it covered. I can cancel the contract in 30 days and would be interested in the members thoughts on the subject. BTW the warranty was expensive $3500.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think extended warranties are a scam. They wouldn’t offer them if not making money and $3,000 is a pretty big chunk of change. Most electronics fail in the first year or two. If you make it past 3 years you’re probably good for the life of the vehicle. Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now I am having buyers remorse because I drove a Leaf for 6 years with no issues.
You can cash in extended warranties, they will generally pro-rate some of it but you should be able to get a lot of that money back. If you wanted to, you could even shop around and re-buy from another dealer at any time while the original warranty is still valid. Pricing on extended warranties varies wildly and you can buy one from any dealer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't usually get extended warranties but did when the Bolt was purchased. Initially they came at me with something ridiculous like $5000 for a 6/60,000 B2B. We went back and forth a few times and even told the finance guy that I know he can "clickty-clack" that keyboard to get the number lower. Eventually we agreed to ~$1600 or about $22 a month. It also includes tires. Maybe it won't be used but I figured the amount is small enough that it's worth getting.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Extended warranties are never worth it IMO. Well not my opinion, but by statistics ;) I also never use dealerships for repairs. If I want to rotate tires I will use a tire shop, who will do it for free since I am a repeat customer. I also don't like that the Bolt is new and has a lot of "gadgets". The Bolt has the same technology found in many of the current Chevy models. Actually, the Bolt is lacking a few gadgets that some models have. EV's are also have a lot less moving parts and will be much cheaper over the life of the car.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Extended warranties are never worth it IMO. Well not my opinion, but by statistics ;)
Agree. Consumer Reports reached the same conclusion. It's just another added-profit option for the closer to push as you are signing papers. That's why you can negotiate a much lower price and the dealer will in most cases agree instead of losing the sale of this option.

I know of one profitable non-dealer shop that does the warranty work for several brands. Unless the warranty explicitly says the work will be done in the dealer's shop and using factory parts don't expect dealer-level warranty service.

Most people on here who are considering a $40k new car can afford the gamble of self-insuring. Over a lifetime, occasional unexpected high cost of various repairs will average far less than buying insurance to pay for the same work.

And finally, remember the health insurer who paid bonuses to its representatives who successfully deflected insurance claims? A friend ran into this on an auto repair. He got stonewalled, was told that the engine warranty was limited to oil-lubricated parts and the cracked head wasn't covered. I think he eventually won a small-claims case but I think it took his specialized knowledge as an experienced new-car salesman to make a case that convinced the judge.

In summary: Self-insure. The long term odds of coming out ahead are better.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Someone brought up a good point. The Bolt has so many new gadgets and whatnot, if anything were to break outside of the warranty period it's going to be expensive to repair or replace. Did anyone get extended warranty?
I posted somewhere. I never got it before. But I am a little reluctant about the new technology for now and want to make sure I have all warranties as extended as they can be... I caved in. And yes the buyers remorse hit when a Chevy Bolt EV premier with all bells and whistles and extended warranties cost me 60k and change. Made feel like cancelling the whole ordeal and going back to my model 3 reservation, but then I realized doing the same thing with Tesla would push me towards the 70k price mark, so I’ll keep the bolt...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think extended warranties are a scam. They wouldn’t offer them if not making money and $3,000 is a pretty big chunk of change. Most electronics fail in the first year or two. If you make it past 3 years you’re probably good for the life of the vehicle. Just my opinion :)

Not my experience. We bought a 2007 jeep wrangler rubicon brand new with no extended warranty. If i told you how many thousands upon thousands of dollars I spent replacing computers and electronics and the damage their failure caused..... i will never buy any car that is so loaded with electronics and not get complete coverage including extended especially when their warranty is like 3 years... Our Kia Sorento is 5 year, much better! Never. I have and still work on my cars, have for 40 years. Most cars today you cannot touch without factory diagnotic tools (or third party ones) that also cost thousands. And yes I have several of them for my old vehicles from ebay. I also buy factory service manuals in paper format for every car I own. Still looking to get for the bolt. I hate buying new cars, I would rather buy a good quality used car and fix it myself but its getting hard and harder. CAMbus and vin locked computers / radios and security systems. Can bleed you brakes without throwing codes sheesh, whats next I wake up and see an email that I have been billed for various repairs and service for my autonomous car which drove itself to the dealer when it identified the problem.

Here's our shop where we fix our vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts

Not my experience. We bought a 2007 jeep wrangler rubicon brand new with no extended warranty. If i told you how many thousands upon thousands of dollars I spent replacing computers and electronics and the damage their failure caused..... i will never buy any car that is so loaded with electronics and not get complete coverage including extended especially when their warranty is like 3 years... Our Kia Sorento is 5 year, much better! Never. I have and still work on my cars, have for 40 years. Most cars today you cannot touch without factory diagnotic tools (or third party ones) that also cost thousands. And yes I have several of them for my old vehicles from ebay. I also buy factory service manuals in paper format for every car I own. Still looking to get for the bolt. I hate buying new cars, I would rather buy a good quality used car and fix it myself but its getting hard and harder. CAMbus and vin locked computers / radios and security systems. Can bleed you brakes without throwing codes sheesh, whats next I wake up and see an email that I have been billed for various repairs and service for my autonomous car which drove itself to the dealer when it identified the problem.

Here's our shop where we fix our vehicles.

You made me feel better on my choice. To me peace of mind is more important at this time. Thank you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here's a benchmark. New Bolt Premier

Chevrolet Protection Plan.

84/100,000 Platinum Level, $100 deductible

$2086, with an additional $250 off for December so $1836. Out of state dealer so no sales tax.

I never buy extended warranties, but on this car I might do it. There's a lot of gizmos apart from the electric powertrain.

Edit: I agree that on a modern car there isn't much left that's DIY. If you want to get your hands dirty, restore VW Beetles or somesuch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the extended warranty.

Yes, it's kinda scammy and hopefully we won't need to use it. My state's EV rebate more than covered this cost, so the peace of mind is worth it.

Between the warranty and the auto insurance, I'm covered for just about everything barring alien abduction.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have purchased a couple of other cars for other family members in recent years, and I always get the extended warranty (including on my new Bolt). Yeah, it's a few grand, but cars have so much electronics in them these days the owner cannot possibly fix them by themselves. There are dozens of microcontrollers (73 in my wife's Toyota Sienna) that do everything from winding the windows up and down to controlling the throttle pedal. BTW: the extended warranty and service contract on my Bolt was $4k.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I passed on the extended warranties as I found the factory warranty on major electrical components to be pretty good. Even outside warranty there's so little to the Bolt's drivetrain that there's that much less to go wrong than an ICE car and that much less reason to need the warranty. Ok fine I might be replacing a window regulator or a seat heater or something stupid, but as long as it gets me and my family where I'm going I can put up with that kind of thing. I've been pulling wrenches my whole life, so it helps that I have that experience behind me knowing that I'll basically just be paying for parts if anything goes wrong and that will most likely cost less than the extended warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't call it a scam but...

Like all insurance, some will get their "money worth" and others won't, but the insurance company will surely make out. That's the nature of insurance, amplified by the profits and salaries executives and others draw.

I once bought an extended warranty, 1993 Audi 100, bought it 3 years old, paid around $1000 for it and managed to "break even", Audis are $$$ to repair.

I am probably going to lease, 3 years, 36k miles so no need as it will be covered during the lease period. I see the slightly higher per mile cost of the lease my "insurance premium" for going in with new technology and uncertainty about how meets our requirements. For around $9000 I can have a go and see how it works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer put on a full court press telling me all the horrors of not getting an extended warranty but I fended them off. For me personally I go by the averages and the dealer wouldn't be selling these if they were not making money over all. So could I lose out in the end. Yeah but if things are shaky in the first 3 years I can either sell or I can buy a warranty then. Sure it would cost more but then I would have more information to go on at that point (plus I wouldn't have plunked down the 3,000 3 years in advance either. Also I always find that whatever breaks somehow doesn't end up in the warranty anyways. But its all in the matter of one's comfort level.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The dealer put on a full court press telling me all the horrors of not getting an extended warranty but I fended them off. For me personally I go by the averages and the dealer wouldn't be selling these if they were not making money over all. So could I lose out in the end. Yeah but if things are shaky in the first 3 years I can either sell or I can buy a warranty then. Sure it would cost more but then I would have more information to go on at that point (plus I wouldn't have plunked down the 3,000 3 years in advance either. Also I always find that whatever breaks somehow doesn't end up in the warranty anyways. But its all in the matter of one's comfort level.
Of course they are making money, but its like insurance, the group pays for the bad ones. Insurance is expensive too, you may not have ever used it either, but would you say the same thing? Its insurance, plain and simple. One big failure of a key component and its pays for itself. If you are financing or leasing, its pennies a day. Lastly with transferrable warranty I am pretty sure it might help on a resale if the warranty is not yet expired. Used car with a warranty is certainly more valuable than one that is not, imho.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts