Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not surprisingly, high performance FWD cars wear the front tires more rapidly. If the instant torque of the EV is used often, it's likely tire rotation will be required regularly to maintain even wear.

Has anyone driven enough miles and measured tread depth to give accurate F/R wear rates?

jack vines

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not surprisingly, high performance FWD cars wear the front tires more rapidly. If the instant torque of the EV is used often, it's likely tire rotation will be required regularly to maintain even wear.

Has anyone driven enough miles and measured tread depth to give accurate F/R wear rates?

jack vines
I've rotated mine and can't help with that method of measuring tire wear. You can look up the tire
on the manufactures website and get the tread depth info and measure your own.

I rotate every 7500 miles and cross rotate the non drive wheels as you should. This allows every tire to run on each corner of the vehicle and both directions for best tire wear and tread life.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I rotate every 7500 miles and cross rotate the non drive wheels as you should. This allows every tire to run on each corner of the vehicle and both directions for best tire wear and tread life.
I like never get my tires rotated on my vehicles. I like the fronts to wear more and then replace them. Then I put the backs on the front when I get the new tires. This way, I only buy two tires at a time instead of all four. Just less of a sticker shock buying two tires at a time.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I like never get my tires rotated on my vehicles. I like the fronts to wear more and then replace them. Then I put the backs on the front when I get the new tires. This way, I only buy two tires at a time instead of all four. Just less of a sticker shock buying two tires at a time.
Too each their own >:) I prefer to get the best mileage and wear out of mine. Paying for
tires 2 by2 isn't any different. Save the money on the first 2 then when it's time, pony up
for the other 2. One trip saves time and money.

I do my own tires/service/repairs and everything else, so it's not a big deal.
I even have my own tire machine and wheel balance >:)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I even have my own tire machine and wheel balance >:)
I'm not worthy. You're the man. Okay, I do have my own lift. But never pulled the trigger on getting my own tire machine and wheel balancer. But, I have horror stories of tire places messing up my cars where I have often thought of getting my own equipment. I do have a motorcycle tire balancer. One of those cheap ones. That's the closest I've gotten. And hand tire irons. Swear I'll never use those again.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm not worthy. You're the man. Okay, I do have my own lift. But never pulled the trigger on getting my own tire machine and wheel balancer. But, I have horror stories of tire places messing up my cars where I have often thought of getting my own equipment. I do have a motorcycle tire balancer. One of those cheap ones. That's the closest I've gotten. And hand tire irons. Swear I'll never use those again.
My tire machine also handles my motorcycle tires. That's another reason I bought it.
My spin balancer also handles my motorcycle tires >:) I've been a tech for 42 yeas
and nobody is touching my stuff. My car came into the dealer and I took the keys
before they could park it. I did the PDI and updated all my control modules. This is the
first car I've ordered in 30 years and the first one off the trailer that no one else has touched :D

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I like never get my tires rotated on my vehicles. I like the fronts to wear more and then replace them.
I swap the tires on my drive wheels for snow tires for almost half the year, and I find that I get pretty equal wear on all the summer tires that way. So apart from that, no rotation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts