Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt and all Tesla models owned by me and my family
978 Posts
Phantom braking is very visible when people are trying cruise control on ice roads and find themselves in the ditch when this happens. It is part of owning and using safety nannies.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier Launch Edition
505 Posts
I don't know if it's phantom braking or delayed braking. But I often noticed when someone is slowing down in front and changed lane to exit, my car will still brake and slow down for several seconds well after that other car is gone then take its sweet time speeding up. The remedy to this is to stomp on the go pedal until the system catches up.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,097 Posts
I don't know if it's phantom braking or delayed braking. But I often noticed when someone is slowing down in front and changed lane to exit, my car will still brake and slow down for several seconds well after that other car is gone then take its sweet time speeding up. The remedy to this is to stomp on the go pedal until the system catches up.
Yes, mine too. It can also get confused with a truck pulled over on the shoulder of the hwy.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My car might detect car in other lane while on curve. Once turned off cruise once put on brake.
It is normal in this scenario even BMW and MB will do the same, but what is detecting is vehicle ahead of you and if it happens that is in the curve it will be recognized by radar that vehicle is slowing down ( even it is not).

·
Registered
978 Posts
My '21 Honda Clarity PHEV suffers from this "ACC on a tight curve" phenomenon. It's not uncommon, and depends on the width of the RADAR cone.
All suffer from this because radar cannot follow steering wheel angle or curve.
Some high end calibrated radars will compensate for steering wheel angle by being less aggressive. To implement front windshield camera to follow curve and be quite responsive requires high processing power, and this is still very expensive. Driving on this type of roads is much better to disable radar.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,856 Posts
All suffer from this because radar cannot follow steering wheel angle or curve.
Some high end calibrated radars will compensate for steering wheel angle by being less aggressive. To implement front windshield camera to follow curve and be quite responsive requires high processing power, and this is still very expensive. Driving on this type of roads is much better to disable radar.
Yup. I turn off ACC on the twisties.

Time to bring back the Tucker idea of a steerable RADAR antenna, or better still...a phased-array RADAR antenna.

Phased array RADAR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yup. I turn off ACC on the twisties.

Time to bring back the Tucker idea of a steerable RADAR antenna, or better still...a phased-array RADAR antenna.

Phased array RADAR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array
It does exist but this technology is still expensive for commercial and passenger vehicles, military has it for quite some time.it uses also infrared cameras to assist in 3D spectrum of horizon in front of vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,856 Posts
It does exist but this technology is still expensive for commercial and passenger vehicles, military has it for quite some time.it uses also infrared cameras to assist in 3D spectrum of horizon in front of vehicle.
An engineering buddy of mine worked for Huge Air Crash, on phased-array RADARs for the military. That was 40 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts