Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have another question, did anyone have their L2 EVSE charger installation permitted by the City of Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety and if so did that trigger an new property tax assessment?

I'm debating whether it's worth it for me to install a L2 charger. It's not strictly needed since I don't drive much but it would be more convenient. The biggest thing I'm worried about is if pulling the permit to have the charger installed would trigger an assessment. If so I fear it would raise my property taxes significantly which I definitely don't want, especially right now with property values near their all time highs (honestly I feel we're on the cusp of another housing bubble bursting).

Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No way would installing a 240 v outlet and a charger trigger a re-assessment. Don't even worry about it. There is a threshold which triggers a re-assessment...this is way below that. Even if reassessment is triggered (short of a whole home remodel) only a portion of the home would reassessed (e.g. a new kitchen).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1) put in a 240V 'generic socket'. Do all the permit/inspections, whatever. Don't tell them it's for charging an EV - it's a socket. Maybe you want to have the option of using an electric dryer - whatever.

2) Later (after inspection done) "install" a 240V EVSE with a plug on the end (i.e., plug it in). You don't have to tell anyone. It's all perfectly legal and up-to-code (providing the work was done properly, and you draw a max of 80% of the rated circuit; install a 40 or 50 amp circuit, plug in a 32 amp EVSE.)

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No way would installing a 240 v outlet and a charger trigger a re-assessment. Don't even worry about it. There is a threshold which triggers a re-assessment...this is way below that. Even if reassessment is triggered (short of a whole home remodel) only a portion of the home would reassessed (e.g. a new kitchen).
They say that but we've never once pulled a permit that didn't trigger a reassessment. When we put in a block wall to replace our wood fence our property tax bill went up like $500 per year because of the rise in home values.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So have a simple 240V socket installed in the garage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts